Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Adding a heated steering wheel

Hi everyone, I'm currently researching what it would take to add a heated steering wheel to one of our Camaros that doesn't come with a heated wheel from the factory. Parts needed to switch that I've found so far are:
  1. Heated steering wheel
  2. Airbag coil behind the wheel

The heated wheels already have the controller for heat mounted inside in them, only trick is getting 12V power and ground to the controller. The airbag harness coil for cars with heated wheel have this, but I'm not sure if it can be bought separately or if it comes through dealers as part of the turn signal/wiper switch assembly.

From there, it looks like the rest of the wiring harness comes on all Camaro variants, but I don't know if any fuses or anything need to be added. I'm planning to look for said connector on the wiring harness as well as test with a voltmeter to see if it's live or not. Will update later with any findings.

Has anyone else done some digging or successfully installed a heated steering wheel? Didn't find anything with a search.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
izuniga1

Drives: 2016 1ss red hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Hi everyone, I'm currently researching what it would take to add a heated steering wheel to one of our Camaros that doesn't come with a heated wheel from the factory. Parts needed to switch that I've found so far are:
  1. Heated steering wheel
  2. Airbag coil behind the wheel

The heated wheels already have the controller for heat mounted inside in them, only trick is getting 12V power and ground to the controller. The airbag harness coil for cars with heated wheel have this, but I'm not sure if it can be bought separately or if it comes through dealers as part of the turn signal/wiper switch assembly.

From there, it looks like the rest of the wiring harness comes on all Camaro variants, but I don't know if any fuses or anything need to be added. I'm planning to look for said connector on the wiring harness as well as test with a voltmeter to see if it's live or not. Will update later with any findings.

Has anyone else done some digging or successfully installed a heated steering wheel? Didn't find anything with a search.
so any updates? looking to do the same.
izuniga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Talk to a dealer? They have drawings/diagrams, etc

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
izuniga1

Drives: 2016 1ss red hot
i work at a dealership so I will find out tomorrow guys!
izuniga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by izuniga1 View Post
i work at a dealership so I will find out tomorrow guys!
Sorry, haven't had a chance to dig into mine yet to physically check anything, but have been able to do a little more digging on the virtual side.

To add to my first post, looks like this connector lives inside the plastic steering column shroud. If you pull the shroud off, it should be a 2-pin connector attached to the RH side of the steering column underneath gauge cluster.

As for the SRS coil, looks like it's PN 84205927 but I haven't seen it for sale individually anywhere online. Izuniga, are you able to see if this part can be ordered through your dealer's service department? Wasn't sure if you could get the coil on its own or if you had to order the entire turn signal/wiper switch assembly.

EDIT: Did some more searching, looks like PN 23465301 would be the right coil. No need to replace the whole switch assembly. Probably should confirm fitment with a dealer or other GM vendor before buying, though, just to make sure I'm correct

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 02-27-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: correcting myself
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
You may want to check, I think the BCM is involved in this as well.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
ny tdi

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 6MT Convertible
Oh man, I've been wanting to do this since I bought my 2016 V6 Vert. It would be super nice to have heated steering wheel on cool nights. Now, does anyone know how to add heated side mirrors. Visibility in the rain is my only gripe about the car.

Adding Heated Steering and Side mirrors would be perfect for me, but it would have been too much to buy new ($5000 more than base, ouch!)
ny tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
You may want to check, I think the BCM is involved in this as well.
On these cars I'm pretty sure that the wheel just gets 12V power, and the controller for the heater element is located in the steering wheel itself and manages power to the heating element. BCM might be involved to turn power on and off based on key position, but I think that would be it (if that is even the case). I'll do some more digging and correct myself if I find anything different!

First thing I plan to do is check the connector in the steering column to see if it gets power when the car is running, hoping to get at that this weekend.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 AM   #9
one R

Drives: 2017 1ss
tried to do a bit of digging into the info on this as well . from what I can gather the heated plug is the one that goes through the square port in the wheel directly under the steering wheel retaing bolt . blue and a gray or white wire that plugs into the bottom right inside the wheel ( close in prox to where the volume buttons are ). it seems based on some bad illustrations for the part # you listed ( 23491040 ) that that clock spring not only carries the power to the heat function but it is also the same one for the air bag plugs . i will do atad more digging but i do wish I could find a good photo of that part rather then a general outline image .
one R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
Alpha1BC

I hit a dead end. Quick version of how to take the top of the shroud off:
  1. 1) Lower and extend your steering column as much as possible.
  2. 2) Turn the wheel from center to 90° to the left. Insert your pry tool of choice and CAREFULLY pry forward on the front-facing portion of the column shroud. The tab holding this in is quite fragile, and the shroud won't fit back together if it bends too much. If you can get a tool in there, you just have to push the lower-most tab down to get it to release. The upper tab doesn't really do anything to keep this part in.

3. 3) Move to the back side of the turn signal stalk. Use a pry tool to open up the back half of the shroud. This one may take a bit more force. I suggest inserting a wider tool and twisting if possible to help avoid damaging the plastic

note the position of the upper and lower tabs from the first step in this picture

4. 4) Turn your steering wheel 90° to the right (from center) and repeat steps 1 and 2 on the opposite side of the shroud
  5. 5) Here's where I hit a roadblock. I was expecting to see a connector here based on the open space to mount another connector, but mine is empty.

So, my question is, anyone out there with a heated wheel willing to pop their column shroud open and take a look? See if there is a connector here? If there is a connector here, could you check with a multi-meter to see if you are just getting constant 12V when keyed on and/or with engine running? If it is just getting 12V, it seems like it's just a matter of tapping into another constant 12V source. I know from experience that these wheels can draw a lot of current on startup, so I would suggest at least a 20A fuse if anyone pulls the trigger and wires one up themselves.

I will also try to verify if I can get my hands on one of these with the heated steering wheel option, but I don't personally know anyone that has one.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Any progress? I posted a request in the electronic technical forum liking to your thread... what about wiring a secondary 12v wire to power the wheel heater? I'm having a car stereo guy look into it
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
Any progress? I posted a request in the electronic technical forum liking to your thread... what about wiring a secondary 12v wire to power the wheel heater? I'm having a car stereo guy look into it
Thanks for the request! No updates yet. I assume that a secondary 12V hookup would work based on previous experience, but I'm still wanting to check out a car with heated wheel from the factory to confirm. Don't want anyone to go through all the trouble of trying to wire one in on my word if I'm wrong haha.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #13
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6

Sprinkling money at the problem....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...03#post9689403
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
There is more going on then you know.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote