Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
MRT Exhaust for the LT1 Camaro

Hey Everyone,

A few weeks ago I started working with MRT to develop a few different exhaust systems for the LT1 Camaro and wanted to give my thoughts on everything so far. First, a link to MRT's site:

http://www.shopmrt.com/Exhaust-System-s/2045.htm

The available configurations are:
  • Version 2 axle back
  • Version 3 axle back
  • Version 2 cat-back
  • Version 3 cat-back

The good: both sound great and are reasonably priced. I highly recommend taking a look if you're in the market.

The "bad:" You can hear more sound when cruising, but it's not anything that upsetting to me.

Version 2 is a "muffled" axle back, and version 3 is a straight pipe axle back sections, and with the cat-back system there's an added 3" diameter midpipe section (that has an h-pipe instead of an x-pipe).

I drove the V2 CB system for the first week then swapped over to the V3 CB system and have been driving that ever since. Both options sound great in my opinion.

The V2 has a deeper and louder (I would consider moderately loud) exhaust note compared to stock, but at the same time it's still somewhat refined so you don't have to worry about making your neighbors angry by being too loud if you're not laying into the throttle.

The V3 is a whole different story. It sounds like a muscle car should and will grab anyone's attention in the vicinity. The videos don't quite do justice to the sound presence there is with this system. It's something you hear and feel, and has actually made a few people jump when started. I originally planned to only keep this system on for the Woodward Dream Cruise this year, but it's grown on me and I haven't gotten any complaints from neighbors or tickets requiring me to quiet down The active rev match blips sound great every time, and I personally like the way that the black ceramic coated tips look with the surrounding dark grey bezel.

The only downside I can see that some people would turn away from for both CB systems is the sound presence when cruising on the highway. At around 50 mph in 6th you start to hear the slightest bit of resonance, and at 70 the exhaust presence is definitely there (especially if you load the engine by going uphill). It's definitely drive-able for longer periods of time (my longest trip has been 2 hrs so far), but don't expect it to be as quiet cruising as stock.

A few other notes:
1) ANC might help with noise at cruising if you have a car with Bose. Can't say for sure how much, but I'm sure it would at least help a little.
2) My car is manual and non-NPP, meaning no AFM valves or quad tip/dual mode systems are compatible without some modification.
3) Not sure the packaging differences between the M6 and A8 transmissions, but if the A8 protrudes lower than the M6 than there's potential for an issue with the H-pipe clearance (see the site's pictures of the cat-back systems and you'll see what I mean).

MRT also sells systems for the V6 and I4 Camaros. The V3 for the 2.0T system also sounds great in my opinion, and I haven't heard the V6 in person to be able to comment.

Lastly, if there's anyone in the metro Detroit area that wants to hear the V3 cat-back system in person, shoot me a PM and we can maybe try to coordinate to meet at any events that may be coming up this fall.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Captain Slow

Drives: 2017 SS
Can't beat $1.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Can't beat $1.
Lol what a deal!

I wonder if someone purchased it at that price, will they honor it?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Captain Slow

Drives: 2017 SS
No. They'll cancel it.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
BAAD LS2

Drives: TBSS
Why would you make the crossover that long when you could move it 18" downstream and not have to worry about clearance under the trans?
BAAD LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAD LS2 View Post
Why would you make the crossover that long when you could move it 18" downstream and not have to worry about clearance under the trans?
Actually was one of my questions, will follow up if/when I get any response.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

A few updates on these exhausts:

Quote:
There's a few reasons:
  1. Ease of install - Having the longer h-pipe with a joint in the middle is easier to assemble/install than having a short solid welded tube. Unfortunately, there can't be a slip/clamped joint if the tube is short. Also, a solid welded tube doesn't allow the exhaust system to adjust to the location variation of the headers and cats the way a clamped joint does.
  2. sound performance - having an h-pipe as opposed to an x-pipe will definitely have a different sound, but there is opportunity to fine-tune the sound produced with the length and location of the h-pipe. The length and location used on this system is based on previous experience with other systems as well as some trial and error testing while developing the system specific to the Camaro
  3. heat expansion - Having a short welded tube instead of the current tube leaves more room for cracking issues from increased expansion stresses when the exhaust heats up. Not not saying it would for sure be a problem, but could potentially cause issues in the future after a few years of heat cycling the system.

However, after doing some digging, it didn't look like there would be a good way to fit this system on the A8 transmission. The A8 hangs about 2" lower than the M6, and there wasn't a good way to package an h-pipe tube of the current size without crushing the tube or drastically reducing ground clearance. As a result, the h-pipe got moved closer to the axle-back portion of the exhaust instead of next to the cats. I will probably post pics sometime later to show what it looks like now.

There's also now a single resonator that comes off h-pipe. I was getting tired of the sound level of long trips on the highway, and the resonator gets rid of a lot of the cruising noise while still letting the system make a lot of noise when you put the throttle down. The sound isn't all the way gone when cruising (wouldn't expect it to be with straight pipes and a resonator), but it's barely making any noise over the already existing wind and tire noise.