Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
TheZman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS m6
How much of a horsepower gain with headers and full exhaust?

Just wondering how much of a increase in horsepower would i get on my gen6 Camaro with Kooks headers with cats ,3inch exhaust running into an x pipe straight into flowmaster outlaws out back? No tune.
TheZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
awpti

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro; 2016 4Runner
Zero without a tune.

Note: Replacing the headers = warranty void.
awpti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
TheZman

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpti View Post
Zero without a tune.

Note: Replacing the headers = warranty void.
Not according to the Chevrolet dealer. Headers and exhaust is fine as long as theres no tune. I just talked to them today.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Really depends on the dealer. Some are mod friendly, some not so much. I have a dealer within a mile of my house that won't touch my car. But the dealer 30 miles away in Salem has no issues at all.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
TheZman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
Really depends on the dealer. Some are mod friendly, some not so much. I have a dealer within a mile of my house that won't touch my car. But the dealer 30 miles away in Salem has no issues at all.
The dealer i deal with says that according to Chevrolet the actual manufacturer the warranty is in tact as long as theres no tune. They checked.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #6
Dustinmaro

Drives: 99 ws6 trans am, 18 ss 1le, benz sl
Ya but without a tune what's the point.. won't you be throwing codes and running rough?
Dustinmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
TheZman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinmaro View Post
Ya but without a tune what's the point.. won't you be throwing codes and running rough?
Why would it?. Its not Supercharged. Plenty of people install headers and exhaust with no tune. If anyrhing it should run way better and sound mean as fuk. Ive watched some videos online with people getting around a 25hp+ gain with similar set up as well.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
Not according to the Chevrolet dealer. Headers and exhaust is fine as long as theres no tune. I just talked to them today.
Well they be wrong, sort of. GM wont 'void' your warranty, but it will deny powertrain coverage. It may not effect a window switch or ac compressor but any powertrain complaint short of a known TSB, you will be denied.

Further, your federal emissions warranty is done. The federal covers certain emissions related components, not just the cats but also the PCM, even without a tune. The parts covered under the federal is 8/80.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Hagels316

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
FYI - I installed Kooks headers with their "green cats" bolted up to the factory catback exhaust. The green cats were supposed to prevent CELs. Not only did I get a CEL right away but the car ran terrible. When you install headers the fuel mapping goes crazy. I was running extremely rich and actually fouled up a few spark plugs causing the car to start mis firing after a week. Needless to say I could of saved money on the spark plug replacement if I just would have gotten a tune right away. Lesson learned - get a tune with headers or you risk ruining other parts and having the car run like crap.

If you don't want a tune because you are worried about voiding the warranty, then headers aren't for you at this point in time (wait until at least the powertrain warranty expires).
Hagels316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Just wondering how much of a increase in horsepower would i get on my gen6 Camaro with Kooks headers with cats ,3inch exhaust running into an x pipe straight into flowmaster outlaws out back? No tune.
Not much, if any. Not enough to be noticeable. You need a tune.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #11
jaysonstuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagels316 View Post
FYI - I installed Kooks headers with their "green cats" bolted up to the factory catback exhaust. The green cats were supposed to prevent CELs. Not only did I get a CEL right away but the car ran terrible. When you install headers the fuel mapping goes crazy. I was running extremely rich and actually fouled up a few spark plugs causing the car to start mis firing after a week. Needless to say I could of saved money on the spark plug replacement if I just would have gotten a tune right away. Lesson learned - get a tune with headers or you risk ruining other parts and having the car run like crap.

If you don't want a tune because you are worried about voiding the warranty, then headers aren't for you at this point in time (wait until at least the powertrain warranty expires).

Yeah I just had headers/w highf-flow cats and full 3" all the way back and the car is running like shit. Gonna park it until I get a tune.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
TheZman

Interesting. I know of people running the same up that i mentioned with no rune and there car runs fine. Also why would the chevy dealer say it fine to do so as well? I would think if it wasn't they would be the first to say so.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
jaysonstuart

Quote:
Interesting. I know of people running the same up that i mentioned with no rune and there car runs fine. Also why would the chevy dealer say it fine to do so as well? I would think if it wasn't they would be the first to say so.
They probably said it because half the time they don't know wtf they're talking about.

These are the same clowns putting 8 quarts in our cars and can't seem to figure out why the A8 is having issues.

I don't listen to a damn thing the dealer says.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 AM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP your car will run fine with LTs but you will be throwing O2 CELs. Not a big deal really. Been there more than once. I just kept a code reader in the car.

But the sad part is on the LT1 you get about 15 RWHP despite claims to the contrary. And the tune mainly quiets the rear O2s. Not much if any extra HP there.