The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #29
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Awesome. So I've been researching for like ehhh about 2 weeks now. I'm pretty much set on a Yamaha R3 (used)

I'll shop around for sure.

Pretty much the goal here is to commute and then sell the bike in a couple years. I wont put a price on safety, so I'll get whatever riding gear is necessary.

On some ridingworld forums they mention to invest in some like neon lights that light up under the bike for night use, recommend or nah?

R3 seems perfect for me, I'm short (5'7) and don't want to speed, just cruise on a sweet bike to work and get awesome mpg.
I nice set of PIAA's or similar, on your forks, to set up a triangle. This will grab peoples attention all the time... not neon lights that light up at night.

The light's on your forks serve 2 purposes... help you be seen, and help you see things. Also replace your OEM headlights w/ Silvania Silverstar Ultra's! They put out more light than any other bulb out there.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #30
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Awesome. So I've been researching for like ehhh about 2 weeks now. I'm pretty much set on a Yamaha R3 (used)

I'll shop around for sure.

Pretty much the goal here is to commute and then sell the bike in a couple years. I wont put a price on safety, so I'll get whatever riding gear is necessary.

On some ridingworld forums they mention to invest in some like neon lights that light up under the bike for night use, recommend or nah?

R3 seems perfect for me, I'm short (5'7) and don't want to speed, just cruise on a sweet bike to work and get awesome mpg.
Please don't put neons on it .
Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #31
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
That's WAY too much bike for him and it cost WAY too much for him to maintain. I love the way the Aprilia's sound BTW!!!
I was just sharing my old bike that I miss dearly. I would NEVER recommend a barely street legal aprilia race bike to someone that hasn't ridden on the street for years.

I have a BMW R1200ST now. I'm getting too old for full on sport bikes.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #32
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
You can put risers on just about any bike, raising the bars to a more neutral riding position... Google Heli-Bars. You can also put a "throttle tamer" on as well, to take out some of the "jerkiness" of the throttle... it changes the "switch" on/off of throttles.

Any bike can be customized anymore to fit anyone... these days.

https://www.helibars.com/

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-yamaha-r1-r6

I've been riding for years... ask away...
Thought about the risers honestly, my back would thank me lol. I've actually never seen anyone with the throttle tamer (first time ever seeing that actually), once I got the ecu flashed the jerkiness was smoothed out. Also OP I'm 5'7" too so I know the struggles all too well. Can't even flat foot my R6
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #33
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
I've been riding for centuries... ask away...
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Please don't put neons on it .
I have Florida Joe LED's on my Harley

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #34
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
What's considered high mileage for a bike? I found one Yamaha R3 used for $4k with like 4500 miles.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #35
sherob

Quote:

I have Florida Joe LED's on my Harley
I see chrome too... what's that saying about chrome?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #36
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
What's considered high mileage for a bike? I found one Yamaha R3 used for $4k with like 4500 miles.
Always assume the bike has been ridden hard if it looks anything like a sports bike. I would be cautious of anything with more than 12k miles on it without a good record of maintenance. Look at the chain and see if it is dirty and dry... this will be a first indication on how well the owner is maintaining it. Then go through all the basic inspection step when buying any used vehicle/bike.

Also, $4k is high for a small liter bike like the one you want. Fair price is $2,500 to $3,500... lower price being on the lower quality side and $3,500 being excellent condition with low mileage. MSRP on a new one is right at $5k, so don't get fooled into buying almost new, when you could have bought new.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #37
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
I see chrome too... what's that saying about chrome?

It also has a stingray seat and I wear alligator boots when I'm riding bar-to-bar... oh, and I wear my tight fitting douche bag T-shirts when I ride and hang out with Son of Anarchy guys while sipping on Bahama Mamas and smoking Capri cigarettes.

Hope I painted a good picture of myself so when we hang out one day, you'll know what to expect.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #38
sherob

Quote:
Always assume the bike has been ridden hard if it looks anything like a sports bike. I would be cautious of anything with more than 12k miles on it without a good record of maintenance. Look at the chain and see if it is dirty and dry... this will be a first indication on how well the owner is maintaining it. Then go through all the basic inspection step when buying any used vehicle/bike.

Also, $4k is high for a small liter bike like the one you want. Fair price is $2,500 to $3,500... lower price being on the lower quality side and $3,500 being excellent condition with low mileage. MSRP on a new one is right at $5k, so don't get fooled into buying almost new, when you could have bought new.
+1 you can buy a new one for ~$4K if you were persistent... You could probably pick this one up for $3500.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...F-R3-120928369

Old 03-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #39
sherob

Quote:

It also has a stingray seat and I wear alligator boots when I'm riding bar-to-bar... oh, and I wear my tight fitting douche bag T-shirts when I ride and hang out with Son of Anarchy guys while sipping on Bahama Mamas and smoking Capri cigarettes.

Hope I painted a good picture of myself so when we hang out one day, you'll know what to expect.
Can't wait...

Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #40
1Coopgt

Quote:

I've seen some very beat up Harleys on the road that really shouldn't be on the road so that doesn't always hold true about Sportbikes.

OP There are Gixxers out in the wild with over 100K on them so that isn't always true . An engine is an engine whether in a bike or a car if it's taken care of it will last for a very long time. Motorcycles just don't give up and die at 5000 miles OP. My 750 has 25k on it and doing fine.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #41
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I've seen some very beat up Harleys on the road that really shouldn't be on the road so that doesn't always hold true about Sportbikes.

OP There are Gixxers out in the wild with over 100K on them so that isn't always true . An engine is an engine whether in a bike or a car if it's taken care of it will last for a very long time. Motorcycles just don't give up and die at 5000 miles OP. My 750 has 25k on it and doing fine.
Lets agree to disagree. Either way the OP goes, let's hope he gets a decent bike for less than current market price.

Still, he has 3 important things to accomplish: motorcycle safety class, obtain M endorsement on DL, and buy good riding safety gear

Old 03-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #42
1Coopgt

Quote:
Lets agree to disagree. Either way the OP goes, let's hope he gets a decent bike for less than current market price.

Still, he has 3 important things to accomplish: motorcycle safety class, obtain M endorsement on DL, and buy good riding safety gear
Agreed .