The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
01SOMZ28

Drives: 2001 Z-28 SOM
Send a message via Yahoo to 01SOMZ28
Exclamation Scion FR-S | Subaru BRZ revealed with 200hp, 151lb-ft, 2660 pounds

Full specs leaked and posted: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096

It's like an improved modern day Celica I guess. This will the Miata a run for its money in the not-too-powerful-but-fun-to-drive segment.

Few Mods here and there, A little Carbon Fiber..........

1 Major Stereo upgrade!

Who needs 400+HP when ya got 1700 watts!
01SOMZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
I rather have a V6 Camaro or V6 Mustang. They will both be faster and look better, well maybe not the mustang in the looks department
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I rather have a V6 Camaro or V6 Mustang. They will both be faster and look better, well maybe not the mustang in the looks department
This. Even a Genesis would be better....
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Christ.. 2660 WET? 2580 DRY? What the hell did they make it out of, origami paper? If it wasn't a collaboration, and solely a Subaru design I'd drive it. But being a Toyota.. can't with good conscience.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This car is a good thing. Anything to keep students out of stupid modded civics and into a REAL rwd "sports coupe" is a good thing. What it will do is shame the people who own civics since a ton of students will buy this toyobaru and rag on the fake wannabe Civic crowd. This may eventually lead everyone to higher knowledge when it comes to understanding the totem pole of sports cars.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Christ.. 2660 WET? 2580 DRY? What the hell did they make it out of, origami paper? If it wasn't a collaboration, and solely a Subaru design I'd drive it. But being a Toyota.. can't with good conscience.
i think the car is only an inch longer and wider than a miata, it is a tiny little thing
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
i think the car is only an inch longer and wider than a miata, it is a tiny little thing
Just now seeing that after reading those specs. AND it has 4 seats. May not be a pony car, but it just may be a modern day shakeup of what the Mustang was almost 50 years ago.

Hopefully GM can follow suit at some point with a small 4cyl RWD coupe of their own, some of us recent grads can't pony up more than 20K for the 5th gen. Hence why I drive my 4th gen and love the HELL out of it.

I just find it funny that it took two Japanese companies, combining their design houses to come up with that. Ford did it alone. Chevy did the Camaro alone. If either did their own version.. makes you wonder what would come out of either monster development divisons..
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
GM needs to take some lesson from Toyota on weight savings. 2700 lbs., good lord.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
GM needs to take some lesson from Toyota on weight savings. 2700 lbs., good lord.
Only if the little thing isn't flimsy and have mad chassis twisting.. but I fear Toyota may just try to beat Domestic companies to the punch for the sake of bragging rights to say 'they're still leading the way'.

Only to have someone get killed again in the process. It's not a Miata, which has almost 20 years of development behind it, nor is it a Camaro which has some mass (along with the Mustang to an extent) to take the blow and save someone careening out of control in a corner doing 50+.

Something this small.. you may not survive a bisection by tree. The Camaro and Mustang.. it's been done. Why do I say this: with a good majority of owners possibly being around my age, we're still dumb and young enough to pull a stupid stunt like that. I did between 50-60 backwards into a wall at the strip. All I had was a sore neck.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
so roughly 300 lbs lighter than my TC with 40 more HP and RWD.... yeeaah that'd be a fun lil car for sure!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
One day park your car next to an Impala. Look at the profile of both cars and you will see that you are basically driving a full-size car with 2 doors instead of 4. That's where the weight comes from. This car is huge. Now with that said, I love it the way it is. I don't really want a small 2-door car that I will look like a clown getting out of because I am so tall. So there are definitely people out there that appreciate a larger coupe. The Camaro is 12" shorter than the Impala. This car is 24" shorter (13%) than the Camaro and 5.5" more narrow by comparison... This car also has a 2L eingine compared to the Camaro's 3.6/6.2L.

Now, since all dimensions could be added up to provide a total volume of each car, you can start to see why the Camaro is so much heavier as the difference in volume is exponential to the difference in length, width and height by a power of 3. So for example say you have a 3x3x3 cube, you have a total volume of 27 units. But if you have a 4x4x4 cube you have a total volume of 64 units cubed. even though each dimension only increased by one unit, or 33% you have an increase in volume of 37 units cubed. or 137%! So if the mass was uniform over the cubes you would have a cube that was 137% more massive.

So to really simplify things, say half of a cars height is the ground clearance + roof and say that the cars have similar or negligible weights for the windows and roof (pretend they're both convertibles..) So say both cars have a body height of say 28" that would mean that the smaller dimensions of the car would make it have roughly 80% of the total volume of the Camaro. So the weight difference (74% as massive) seems to be in line especially considering that the larger the structure, the larger the supporting components normally are to support the increased weight, such as larger springs, mounts, etc... And of course the Camaro has a much larger engine even its base form, this requires even more beefy components to support the increase in horsepower and torque.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
One day park your car next to an Impala. Look at the profile of both cars and you will see that you are basically driving a full-size car with 2 doors instead of 4. That's where the weight comes from. This car is huge. Now with that said, I love it the way it is. I don't really want a small 2-door car that I will look like a clown getting out of because I am so tall. So there are definitely people out there that appreciate a larger coupe. The Camaro is 12" shorter than the Impala. This car is 24" shorter (13%) than the Camaro and 5.5" more narrow by comparison... This car also has a 2L eingine compared to the Camaro's 3.6/6.2L.

Now, since all dimensions could be added up to provide a total volume of each car, you can start to see why the Camaro is so much heavier as the difference in volume is exponential to the difference in length, width and height by a power of 3. So for example say you have a 3x3x3 cube, you have a total volume of 27 units. But if you have a 4x4x4 cube you have a total volume of 64 units cubed. even though each dimension only increased by one unit, or 33% you have an increase in volume of 37 units cubed. or 137%! So if the mass was uniform over the cubes you would have a cube that was 137% more massive.

So to really simplify things, say half of a cars height is the ground clearance + roof and say that the cars have similar or negligible weights for the windows and roof (pretend they're both convertibles..) So say both cars have a body height of say 28" that would mean that the smaller dimensions of the car would make it have roughly 80% of the total volume of the Camaro. So the weight difference (74% as massive) seems to be in line especially considering that the larger the structure, the larger the supporting components normally are to support the increased weight, such as larger springs, mounts, etc... And of course the Camaro has a much larger engine even its base form, this requires even more beefy components to support the increase in horsepower and torque.
Nicely put sir!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I was more referring to the alpha platform for the 6th gen. Rumor has it there are serious weight problems with that platform. It was supposed to be the "lightweight" RWD platform and now it looking like it may weigh as much as the Zeta. There is no hope for the 5th gen, I just would hate to see GM repeat it's mistakes.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
I was more referring to the alpha platform for the 6th gen. Rumor has it there are serious weight problems with that platform. It was supposed to be the "lightweight" RWD platform and now it looking like it may weigh as much as the Zeta. There is no hope for the 5th gen, I just would hate to see GM repeat it's mistakes.
Well if the rumors are true, then that'd be sad if it was much smaller but still as heavy. BUT, rumors are only rumors. And Didn't the fbodfather already the original rumor thread?