Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
POINTBY

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
ZL1 1LE Road Atlanta Record

Well guys, I present this to you with humility. Bottom line - I'm in awe at the machine that GM has built in the ZL1 1LE. The video below was taken today, and the car was in 100% stock trim with only recommended fluid changes and GM spec alignment. And it still has the stock seats and seat belts.

I won't go into all the details as to why I did not think this car would be this capable, but I'm very happy to say that it is an absolute missile in the right hands. Novice drivers need not apply.

I am now going to be installing proper seats and harnesses in it so that I can feel safer going around the track at warp speed.

This is a video of my good friend and Spec E30 champion Rob Eskew driving the car (solo) late in the day and he ran a 1:30.19!

I was unable to get many clean laps due to traffic, and I was taking multiple passengers out (the paddock was full of people wanting to take a ride) who all screamed with excitement as I took them around Road Atlanta at warp speed (I was driving 9/10ths with a 200 lb passenger and still went a 1:33).

Stay tuned to this thread for an update when we go 1:29s!

Shout out to Markert Motorworks for all that they do for me!

Last edited by POINTBY; 11-19-2017 at 09:34 PM.
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Wow. Cant wait to hit rd atl next weekend. Thanks for the study material. Whom did yoir track alignment would be interested im your setup. Great driving Rob is quick indeed!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
POINTBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Wow. Cant wait to hit rd atl next weekend. Thanks for the study material. Whom did yoir track alignment would be interested im your setup. Great driving Rob is quick indeed!
Markert Motorworks was in the middle of installing a new alignment machine, so I took the car to L2 Motorsports next to Road Atlanta and they did a great job.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
https://youtu.be/k8_5SiVAaRI
Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTBY View Post
Markert Motorworks was in the middle of installing a new alignment machine, so I took the car to L2 Motorsports next to Road Atlanta and they did a great job.
Just to put in perspective how blisteringly fast this is, I’ll post a link to my in car for RA from the Trans Am ta2 race last year. This is in a top 10 competing car. I ran faster in qaulifying but dude Low 30’s is absolutely night omg fast!!!

Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
30 flat is smokin, for an OEM car, with a driver who surely is driving with enough caution to not take maximum risk. Amazing.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
POINTBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred1le View Post
https://youtu.be/k8_5SiVAaRI

Just to put in perspective how blisteringly fast this is, I’ll post a link to my in car for RA from the Trans Am ta2 race last year. This is in a top 10 competing car. I ran faster in qaulifying but dude Low 30’s is absolutely night omg fast!!!
Thanks for sharing that video. You guys were flying! And yes, that definitely puts it in perspective!

It’s hard to believe how fast we were going. But I don’t want to do that again in stock seats and belts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
30 flat is smokin, for an OEM car, with a driver who surely is driving with enough caution to not take maximum risk. Amazing.
Thank you sir.

For some reason it felt like the traction control was still getting in the way even in “Race” mode. Any thoughts?

Last edited by POINTBY; 11-20-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Hot damn! Thanks for posting. What a car and what a driver! Really, more telling than The Ring time.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wow! One amazing car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Thanks for sharing that video. You guys were flying! And yes, that definitely puts it in perspective!

It’s hard to believe how fast we were going. But I don’t want to do that again in stock seats and belts.

Thank you sir.

For some reason it felt like the traction control was still getting in the way even in “Race” mode. Any thoughts?
When you get to that level of performance - I have heard that, about several cars with PTM. If you feel confident...go full "off". I rode with a gentleman who did that with the regular ZL1 and he made it dance.

ZL1 1LE has mountains of grip to play with, without PTM (in the hands of a skilled driver such as above...I am not that...)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
Repman

Drives: 18 Black ZL1-1LE
Great drive ! that is a smoking time for a stock car. I have been itching to find the time to get my regular Z out there now i'm really motivated.

Thanks for sharing .
Repman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
POINTBY

How do we turn the PTM completely off??
Old 11-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #12
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:

Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
When you get to that level of performance - I have heard that, about several cars with PTM. If you feel confident...go full "off". I rode with a gentleman who did that with the regular ZL1 and he made it dance.

ZL1 1LE has mountains of grip to play with, without PTM (in the hands of a skilled driver such as above...I am not that...)
Yep - Sounds like you've reached or exceeded the skill level of the PTM.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
Quote:

Thank you sir.

i concur, doing a good seat and harness's will give you a ton more confidence. there is nothing worse the going up turn one sliding out of your seat
Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
How do we turn the PTM completely off??
To turn ALL traction control completely OFF....press and hold the rectangular traction control button for 7 seconds. The traction and stability control lights will come on the dashboard to indicate everything's shut off.