Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #113
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRich2587 View Post
Do it Mark its about time one of us average Joes who work our asses off gets a shot!
Thanks Kirk, enjoyed the beers, we'll have to do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
After reading all the posts, I wonder how much of this is driver and how much is car. I wonder if you were in the Z06 would you be the fastest. Or drive one of the cars with a slower time and show a faster time. Your skill level as a driver is really showing through. Dont get me wrong the 1LE is a capable car. In your hands it seems even more capable. Congrats landing on the home page, great videos glad you're enjoying the car so much!!!

P.S. I think I have watched all of your videos and a couple of them twice.
Thanks, and thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I hear you, I feel the same way- to say that I'm obsessed with tracking would not be an overstatement

I don't know if you'll get noticed by just running HPDE days, despite your exceptional achievements. You may want to consider stepping it up a notch and competing. I've been researching NASA quite a bit, and a good first step to competition is time trials. If you do well in time trials, you could eventually win the NorCal NASA Championship and maybe even the NASA Western US Championship. You could also consider wheel to wheel racing, but that's considerably more risky to your equipment and your wallet. You could see which time trial group you'd like to compete in, and I've learned the hard way the importance of picking a NASA class that is populated with drivers. Here's an example of why- my car is very competitive in the NASA TT2 class. At Buttonwillow I would have won every NASA TT2 time trial over the past 2 years, if I were able to run a time equal or better to the 1:57.4 that I ran last time there. I consistently ran low 1:58s all day and a few 1:57s. In fact, I would have also won every TT1 in 2013 and 2014, the class above mine with much higher HP to weight ratios. This class is dominated by modded Corvettes and a few Vipers, yet at Buttonwillow, the Camaro was competitive. I don't know about other tracks yet, but I think I would also do well at Laguna Seca. I looked at the times at Willow Springs though, I would need more practice (and Hoosiers) before taking a win as I'm not as fast as the top TT2 and TT3 drivers there.

Being competitive makes racing more affordable (although it's still very expensive as you know). If you place 1st you win 2 free Hoosiers (provided you are competing with them), so if you win both Saturday and Sunday then you get a set of free tires. 1 free tire for 2nd place. You also win $150 from Hawk towards their products for 1st place. So it's fair to say that if you do very well, your tires and brake pads are paid for. Here's the catch- to win Hoosiers, there must be at least 5 starters in your class. Well, my TT2 class is poorly populated. The best class for me to run in is TT3 class, it has the most starters. At Willow Springs, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow, there have been between 5 and 9 cars competing in TT3 over the last two years, but only 1 to 4 cars competing in TT2. This means I can't win tires in TT2!!!

I will likely be detuning my engine to make less HP so I can compete in TT3 from here forward. And the good news for you- the 1LE requires relatively few mods to compete in TT3, so this would be a good class for you to consider. NASA "unlimited" classes, including TT3, are based almost entirely on weight:HP ratio. An example of a competitive 1LE set up for TT3 would have:
3900 Lb Min. weight including driver (I'm at 3950 Lb now so I need to put my car on a diet)
443 Max RWHP (I'm at 497 RWHP so I need to reduce this somehow)
This assumes aftermarket aero, which carries a penalty. If you don't do aero, you could have a lower weight and/or higher HP and still run TT3.

Think about it brotha! Join me in TT3 class and we'll go play on the track together. Or you could find which TT class a completely stock 1LE would compete in. If we have success in NASA time trials, I imagine more doors will open.
Hey Todd, yeah this is why i asked my peer's to chime in.This is all very true, and i would like nothing more, but i dont have money, im just extremely grateful im able to at least play in this. I would like to play in some time trials though, sounds fun. I think i remember Kirk saying your engine was going to be covered, what's the status of your motor?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #114
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
I'll be up by you june 23rd to 27th so elt me know what day works we'll hit outback
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #115
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Hey Todd, yeah this is why i asked my peer's to chime in.This is all very true, and i would like nothing more, but i dont have money, im just extremely grateful im able to at least play in this. I would like to play in some time trials though, sounds fun. I think i remember Kirk saying your engine was going to be covered, what's the status of your motor?
I agree with what Todd said. I'm like you--racing cars and/or bikes has always been my dream. I Took my Ducati to my 1st ever trackday and ran 1:46's at Fontana and never looked back after that. Bought a ZX6R, put a slip-on exhaust, re-valved stock rear shock (race tech), track bodywork and started running 1:44's; then sold the ZX6R and bought a semi-race prepped R6 and started running low 1:40's there with my best time of 1:39.8; visited buttonwillow, BIG willow and Laguna and then thought about entering WERA West events with my buddy and then got married had kids and all those dreams went out the window . Now I'm lucky to do 1 or 2 trackdays a year and the wife hates that I even still own sportbikes lol. Still, it cost lots of money to be involved in trackdays and racing-- maybe one day when I'm much wealthier I can fulfill my dream .

You definitely have skills though man. I think racing will get you better exposure though...trackdays are one thing, but actually competing in a full season of sanctioned racing and/or time trials gives you a much better shot at sponsorship

In the end, you can always write a letter to GM and send them footage of you and see what happens...maybe they'll use you in a commercial or something--you never know unless you try!

2012 ZL1 Coupe (M6) #80 (SOLD)

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Track/Race Only )
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:02 AM   #116
booyaa56

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Who you running with?

my brakes are stock.
Mark Ill be cruising to the track with Robert (robscamaro), Im sure you know him. Ill be asking you for tips when I meet you, hope you don't mind?

Will
booyaa56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #117
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
Mark Ill be cruising to the track with Robert (robscamaro), Im sure you know him. Ill be asking you for tips when I meet you, hope you don't mind?

Will
What event/organization is this event with?
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #118
cornerspeed92

Quote:
I'll be up by you june 23rd to 27th so elt me know what day works we'll hit outback
Hey Kirk, yeah that sounds good. My day off is Wed, so Tue afternoon or Wed or Thur, as im always off by like 10:00 AM,work for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
I agree with what Todd said. I'm like you--racing cars and/or bikes has always been my dream. I Took my Ducati to my 1st ever trackday and ran 1:46's at Fontana and never looked back after that. Bought a ZX6R, put a slip-on exhaust, re-valved stock rear shock (race tech), track bodywork and started running 1:44's; then sold the ZX6R and bought a semi-race prepped R6 and started running low 1:40's there with my best time of 1:39.8; visited buttonwillow, BIG willow and Laguna and then thought about entering WERA West events with my buddy and then got married had kids and all those dreams went out the window . Now I'm lucky to do 1 or 2 trackdays a year and the wife hates that I even still own sportbikes lol. Still, it cost lots of money to be involved in trackdays and racing-- maybe one day when I'm much wealthier I can fulfill my dream .

You definitely have skills though man. I think racing will get you better exposure though...trackdays are one thing, but actually competing in a full season of sanctioned racing and/or time trials gives you a much better shot at sponsorship

In the end, you can always write a letter to GM and send them footage of you and see what happens...maybe they'll use you in a commercial or something--you never know unless you try!
A 1:46 at Fontana is a fast time for your 1st time at Fontana, kinda like Kirk putting down a 1:56 is 1st time there(i think he's a ringer...haha!)
I had my rear shock done by Race Tech a couple times too. I think my best time at Fontana was like 1:35, i used to race WERA there as well. My best time at Willow was 1:27.88, that's an impressive time. Yeah track days/racing are very costly, and i would love nothing more, but no way am i going door to door in my 1LE, as well i dont have the money to race my baby. I thought you might like these pic's as well this video since you're a fellow knee dagger.
the video doesn't start til 37 seconds.You should enjoy it, it's Willow springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post

Will
No worries, im only 7 miles from the track and always willing to help out a fellow enthusiast and C5'er
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #119
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks Kirk, enjoyed the beers, we'll have to do it again.

Thanks, and thanks

Yes this is why I brought up NASA time trials, because it's a reasonably affordable way to get exposure. Here's the cool thing- It's just like running a HPDE day, but everyone has a transponder and you're competing. The entry cost is reasonable with NASA too, often less than HPDE organizations. And here's the really cool thing- I've been told that if you compete in a minimum of just 4 NASA time trials over the course of a year (2 events per weekend, Sat and Sun), you qualify to compete in the Western States Championship which happens to be at Sonoma this year. I plan on doing a mix of SoCal and NorCal events this year, Buttonwillow being the SoCal track since it's the one I have the most laps at.

If you pick a NASA TT class that you can race a stock 1LE in, can't get more affordable than that because you won't have to do anything to your car. The only issue is that you'll probably want to run Hoosiers to give you a chance to win and also win free tires. There are other contingency programs with Toyo Tires and others.

SoCal NASA runs at Fontana, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs and Chuckwalla, tracks you should do well at. I hope you figure out a way to make it work.

The Camaro's engine builder says I won't have to pay a dime if it's his parts or workmanship that caused my engine to blow. But now I'm also faced with detuning the engine for the TT3 class, so if my Trick Flow heads are in good shape, I may sell them along with my Fast Intake and maybe the Synergy Track cam. Or I may keep all of those in case I decide to upgrade it to TT2 in the future. It's stressful trying to figure out where to go from here with this damned blown engine.

PS- those are some sweet pics of you racing your bike!
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 06-01-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #120
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Just reviewing the times...did anyone else notice the Honda ACCORD up so high on the list?!! Like higher than the R35 GT-R??!

Good driving by the 1LE! - but on a bad note, the slowest driver of the day was a Camaro too :/
Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #121
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Yes this is why I brought up NASA time trials, because it's a reasonably affordable way to get exposure. Here's the cool thing- It's just like running a HPDE day, but everyone has a transponder and you're competing. The entry cost is reasonable with NASA too, often less than HPDE organizations. And here's the really cool thing- I've been told that if you compete in a minimum of just 4 NASA time trials over the course of a year (2 events per weekend, Sat and Sun), you qualify to compete in the Western States Championship which happens to be at Sonoma this year. I plan on doing a mix of SoCal and NorCal events this year, Buttonwillow being the SoCal track since it's the one I have the most laps at.

If you pick a NASA TT class that you can race a stock 1LE in, can't get more affordable than that because you won't have to do anything to your car. The only issue is that you'll probably want to run Hoosiers to give you a chance to win and also win free tires. There are other contingency programs with Toyo Tires and others.

SoCal NASA runs at Fontana, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs and Chuckwalla, tracks you should do well at. I hope you figure out a way to make it work.

The Camaro's engine builder says I won't have to pay a dime if it's his parts or workmanship that caused my engine to blow. But now I'm also faced with detuning the engine for the TT3 class, so if my Trick Flow heads are in good shape, I may sell them along with my Fast Intake and maybe the Synergy Track cam. Or I may keep all of those in case I decide to upgrade it to TT2 in the future. It's stressful trying to figure out where to go from here with this damned blown engine.

PS- those are some sweet pics of you racing your bike!
Hey Todd, thanks. I actually just signed up with NASA in order to run Miller this Aug. This time trial thing i could do, but i would only be limited to Fontana as my day's off are Wed.and Sun. As i get up at 11:30 PM for work there is no way i could even run Buttonwillow. I assume this TT thing is on their web sight so i will check into this. Glad you like the pic's. If you want a laugh take a close look at my(1st & 3rd pic's, the 1st pic is 130 mph) knee sliders. I actually made those out of 3/4 oak(my buddy laughed and called me white trash)I was hoping they would smoke, but my knee wasn't on the ground long enough though.In turn 2 at Willow it's on the ground through the whole turn, just a complete efing rush
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
Just reviewing the times...did anyone else notice the Honda ACCORD up so high on the list?!! Like higher than the R35 GT-R??!

Good driving by the 1LE! - but on a bad note, the slowest driver of the day was a Camaro too :/
Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #122
stardok

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1657
Great job. Love that track except it costs me $1600.00 in tires whenever I go! lol P.S.LOVE NASA-give 'em a try

Last edited by stardok; 06-02-2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: message was incomplete
stardok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #123
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Nice lap time at ACS Roval!

This is my first post in this forum. I've currently got a 2011 M3 and am looking for something to get into once my lease is up in a few months.

I've been curious about the 1LE for quite some time... then I saw one at a BMW club event at Chuckwalla. I think it may belong to KRich actually. Not sure though. Anyway, that thing looked and sounded great. I didn't get to experience it in action on track because I was in a different run group.

Because Autoclub Speedway is kind of my home track I have some questions about your car, it's set up, and about your driving. I guess I'm trying to compare to see where the car fits relative to my current car. It's easy to do some comparisons when you know the details of your own laps.

First, what experience do you have in HPDE? I see you have a harness bar and it looked like open passing. I assume it was a Speed Ventures event. Was it a Red/Green group?

I can't tell from the video, but it seemed like you aren't heel/toe down-shifting. Am I right about that? Any reason why? Or am I just hearing it wrong in the video.

Speaking of brakes, are your pads stock? If so, what kind of life are you getting out of them? Any aftermarket pads out there better suited for track days?

As far as your laps at ACS, what top speed are you hitting at the end of the front straight?

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone take such an inside line on the hairpin before. Seems like with such a heavy car it would be the slowest way as far as carrying speed onto the straight, but I'm not positive. Generally a late apex is taught there.

I saw your pic of your tires a few posts back. ACS is horrible on passenger side tires because of the banking on turn 2. When you really start to push it through there it will eat up your passenger side tires quickly as you lightly slide toward the wall while at such a high speed. I'm assuming you're probably close to or at 130MPH+ in turn 2. I actually flip my tires side to side half way through the day just to even this out. Even though they are directional, I find that it doesn't matter unless there is moisture. It may save you from cording one side and having them be just fine on the driver side.

Anyway, I know this is a lot of questions and comments, but I have been really interested in a 1LE and it looks like I finally have some info about it on the track I know best.

Just for reference, I have a comp pack 2011 BMW M3 that I run track pads, Yokohama AD08s on. The best I can manage at ACS is about a 1:57. That being said there are guys with the same car but with full suspension, BBK, and RComps that are running 1:53s and even lower with Aero out there, but that is also $20K in mods on top of a what is already a very pricey car.

I'm looking to get into something a little more reasonable to modify and track and the 1LE is fitting the mold right now.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #124
KRich2587

Irish coffe yes that was me at chuckwalla I ran a 1:56.0 saw 152 on the straight... Mark is completely stock... For everyone else I found lsxtv did a write up on mark http://www.lsxtv.com/news/stock-1le-...d-cars-quiver/
like I said I'm beast 1le and ran 1:56.0 two 1les torturing super cars lol
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #125
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Irish coffe yes that was me at chuckwalla I ran a 1:56.0 saw 152 on the straight... Mark is completely stock... For everyone else I found lsxtv did a write up on mark http://www.lsxtv.com/news/stock-1le-...d-cars-quiver/
like I said I'm beast 1le and ran 1:56.0 two 1les torturing super cars lol
Wow, a 1:56 is fast too. 152 on the straight is serious. I have seen 151 on my speedo once, but BMW over estimates their speedos. By GPS that is probably 145 in my car. I wonder if 152 is legit on the Camaro... I would imagine it is if you are running a 1:56. That is moving! I know you have a few mods, but man, this car seems incredible for the price.

You must have been dying to let that thing rip at Chuckwalla. I could hear you from all the way across the track. Seemed like you were passing people on every straight. Either that car was just outmatching everyone or your driving skill was... or both.

My brother and I were asking you a bunch of questions about your car at Chuckwalla if you remember. We've both got E92 M3s and are pretty interested in the 1LE after seeing some real results. Seems hard to believe with the car's weight, but lap time numbers don't lie! I may have to get one.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #126
KRich2587

bob stall has three in the showroom lol... Was my first time with cca so I was in the slow group I should've been higher oh well