The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-06-2023, 03:28 PM   #225
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Might have to visit a GMC dealer tomorrow while I'm out and see what we can get done.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:37 PM   #226
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
You thinking Canyon now Fen?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:13 PM   #227
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
You thinking Canyon now Fen?

Yep. Little bit nicer interior materials (I think, Canyon's order guide specifically mentions soft-touch materials for the dash across all trims and this was the case with the 2nd gen trucks too, I have hard plastic in my Colorado vs soft touch in my dad's Canyon) and the wider track for only a few hundred bucks over a comparable Colorado.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #228

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Something for you Colorado/Canyon guys....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gmc-can...engine-option/

GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado: GM Executive Explains Why There Is Only 1 Engine Option
by Desiree Homer | More Articles: Trucks
Published on
January 8, 2023

Under the General Motors umbrella, consumers know they can draw particular distinctions between different vehicles. For example, the GMC Yukon and the Chevy Tahoe share similar designs and equipment. Likewise, the popular GMC Canyon and the Chevy Colorado also share engineering DNA. But there’s only one engine option for these two pickups in 2023.

Typically, when configuring a truck, consumers are used to whole suites of customization options, including cab size, trim level, bed length, and engine size. However, if you’re buying a 2023 GMC Canyon or a 2023 Chevy Colorado, you’ll really only have one engine for either. And in a recent interview with a GM executive, the reason for this single-engine option is apparent.

So, if you only get one engine option for the GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado this year, is it at least a worthy, powerful engine? Yes. As Edmunds shared, GM opted to turn away from previous four-cylinder, V6, and diesel configurations. Both trucks get a new turbocharged 2.7-liter inline-four for the 2023 model year.

This one engine will come in different power stages for the Colorado. The base engine will have 237 hp. The next bump in power will offer 310 hp. And the GMC Canyon’s only option is the more powerful 310 hp engine, with 259 lb-ft of torque. This engine adds 37 more horses than the outgoing four-cylinder engine, and GM also says the new 2.7-liter engine will provide more power without compromising fuel economy. But that’s not why, according to GM executives, the automaker opted to stick with one engine for both trucks.

Why GM decided to keep the same engine

Motor1 shared some excerpts from the interview with GM’s Nick Katcherian, the Chief Engineer for the Colorado and Canyon and Muscle Cars and Trucks. The first reason GM points to behind its decision to stick with a single-engine option is “it’s simply too good.” To reiterate, Katcherian says there’s no need for a diesel option. The torque on this new engine performs better than any previous 2.8-liter Duramax. There’s no sense in complicating things by offering more than the best engine option.

Katcherian says, “this powertrain has all the torque you really need,” insisting it’s delivered even faster than before. It does a much better job of delivering performance than any engine design that came before it. The other apparent reason behind the single-engine option for the Canyon and Colorado is simplicity. It will be easier for GM to produce trucks when fewer components are involved.

There have been plenty of upgrades for the GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado. You’ll still have plenty of other customization decisions, despite the sole engine option. For starters, the 2023 Chevy Colorado comes in both rear and four-wheel drive.

Other upgrades include a new gauge cluster, steering wheel, and infotainment center. And you’ll still have trims to choose from, including the WT, LT, Z71, Trail Boss, and ZR2, each with its suite of additional luxury, work, or off-road extras. This truck will start around $28,000 for the entry-level configurations.

The 2023 GMC Canyon is chock-full of upgrades, including plenty of cabin amenities and tech. The Canyon also comes with more off-road chops, complete with a wider track, off-pavement suspension, underbody cameras, and a lifted height with Multimatic DSSV dampers. Armed with more, the GMC Canyon is estimated to have a starting MSRP closer to $40,000.

There are plenty of differentiators for the 2023 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado. You’ll have to forgo choosing an engine since both come with the same version. And based on GM’s executives, you’ll likely be more than pleased with it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #229
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
What is the Canyon version of the Bison

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:45 PM   #230
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
What is the Canyon version of the Bison
AT4X "AEV Edition" for the Sierra at least, I know, creative.....

Although, i'm not sure there is a Bison yet for the 3rd gen, just the Desert Boss which looks to replace it perhaps without the branding.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 01-16-2023, 05:59 PM   #231
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Shamefully stole some reading material from tbe Corado forum: https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pcf...9853_A_PDF.pdf

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:36 AM   #232
snizzle
Recalled user

Well, the exterior design is pretty boring. US spec next gen Ranger.

https://www.motor1.com/news/631984/2...ied-uncovered/

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 01-19-2023, 08:05 AM   #233
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
It's nothing exciting that's for sure, but looks closer to F-series in terms of design
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:13 AM   #234
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I never thought any of the Rangers looked particularly good, but the two I had were very reliable and utilitarian.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:29 AM   #235
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Quote:

Wow comparing those looks to the Colorado I am glad the automotive gods killed my Camry and forced me to order a Colorado.

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:36 AM   #236
snizzle
Recalled user

I know right, the problem for GM I think is that Ford will be offering multiple cab/bed configs, multiple engines, and a rumored hybrid powertrain ala Maverick. They'll have a few competitive advantages if they execute properly.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 01-19-2023, 08:59 AM   #237
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:

Looks like they Maverick. And I hate the Maverick.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #238
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Yes...that is pretty bland but then again it's clearly a base model truck, likely the equivalent of a normal LT trim Colorado, which in all fairness is no supermodel either, but (in my opinion) does look better than this Ranger.

So I'll withhold full judgement until I see other Ranger trims. That said, I don't expect it to look much different than the already revealed global Ranger, and that one...while it looks OK...does nothing for me and the interior is not even close to the Colorado and Canyon. We'll see if the U.S. spec Ranger interior is any better.

It will likely have a long bed which will be enough to win over some buyers. I'm sure a hybrid is in the cards, but I don't think that one is coming for a few more years.

EDIT: Well...the article says they believe this is a Lariat trim, so not base. Well that makes it even worse for the Ranger.