The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 10-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Chevrolet Panther

Hey Al,

There's rumors going around about an all electric or a hybrid electric Camaro coming out. With the division over the feelings about a Camaro as an electric car or hybrid what do you think about the idea of going "old school" and pulling the original intended name for the Camaro up for an electric/hybrid sports car? Call the car the Chevrolet Panther. In the adds paint it black as night, not metallic, just a deep gloss black. Have the car quietly cruising through the streets of Detroit or wherever late at night, almost as if it was stalking its prey. Talk about how it's stealthy, sleak, and then pan to it launching hard racing through the streets smoking the tires, and doing what a muscle car does best. Then emphasize POWERFUL. "It's a new type of muscle car for a new era of muscle...The Chevrolet Panther". Then blend a panther staring at the camera over the new car.

The reason I suggest this is instead of throwing new, completely different technology at a nameplate that has been synonymous with big block V8's, big cams, drag strip eating, pavement pounding, fuel guzzling, superchargers whining, muscle car mayhem, is because it really doesn't fit the mold. Eventually gas/diesel powered vehicles will become a thing of the past, but why not let them live out their days in glory AND bring in the newest must have, latest technology, next chapter in muscle car history vehicle and start an era like the GTO/409 V8/COPO vehicles with a new car that will go down in the history books as being the first of its kind?

Just food for thought. Thanks for taking the time to read through my opinion.

Brian
a.k.a. pyroguy
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
This is a cool idea and suggestion!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I remember before the first Camaro ever came out, and I was subscribed to Sports Car Graphic and Motor Trend, and the name Panther was what we all thought it would be. Panther was way a cooler name than Mustang.

Then... it became Camaro. What??? LOL.

Personally, I could not care less about electric cars.

What I would suggest is naming trim level variants of the Camaro, kind of like the way that Jeep Wrangler has the Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon. Panther could be one of the variants. the name Panther seems way too cool to hang on some electric POS. That's just my two cents. Apologies for pooping in this thread. Sorry.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
You just totally sold that car idea to me. I want one.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
pyroguy

Thanks guys. If this comes to fruition for Chevy I’m totally taking credit for it! I just think this would fly far better with enthusiasts than electrifying a Camaro.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Lnch Mny

Drives: IBM Camaro
It’s all over Facebook now! Electric COPO!
Lnch Mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnch Mny View Post
It’s all over Facebook now! Electric COPO!
And Pyroguy has the same color car too. I'm thinking he's an insider.

Name:  Copo1.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  Copo.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  100.4 KB
Old 10-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
And Pyroguy has the same color car too. I'm thinking he's an insider.
You got me! I'm really Al's right hand man! I WANTED to work for GM. When I went to college my goal was to be a mechanical engineer working on designing Corvettes (the Camaro was dead at that point). I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I am still an engineer. If GM offered me a good position with influence over some decisions about Camaro, Corvette, or any type of performance vehicle I'd have an awful hard time saying no.

No, seriously I did notice that the color was VERY similar to Aqua Blue Metallic. However, I still think they are going the wrong way having an electric Camaro. I don't have a problem with an electric muscle car, I just don't think that it should be called a Camaro. With sinking numbers after the 6th gen refresh I think this was another potentially bad move for Camaro.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
You got me! I'm really Al's right hand man! I WANTED to work for GM. When I went to college my goal was to be a mechanical engineer working on designing Corvettes (the Camaro was dead at that point). I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I am still an engineer. If GM offered me a good position with influence over some decisions about Camaro, Corvette, or any type of performance vehicle I'd have an awful hard time saying no.

No, seriously I did notice that the color was VERY similar to Aqua Blue Metallic. However, I still think they are going the wrong way having an electric Camaro. I don't have a problem with an electric muscle car, I just don't think that it should be called a Camaro. With sinking numbers after the 6th gen refresh I think this was another potentially bad move for Camaro.
I never thought we'd see a 4 cyl Camaro either. I guess that's why these are just concepts...

...making a big splash and getting some attention at SEMA is my take on it.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
pyroguy

Quote:
I never thought we'd see a 4 cyl Camaro either. I guess that's why these are just concepts...

...making a big splash and getting some attention at SEMA is my take on it.
Yeah I never thought I'd see another 4 cylinder Camaro after the 80's. At least the modern day 4 cylinder has a turbo that can get boost dialed up for respectable power.

I imagine the electric COPO is making a huge splash, but I also imagine at least a third of the people giving it attention are looking in disbelief instead of awe. It obviously is well built if it's running the numbers it is, but in my opinion it should still be called something other than Camaro.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Yeah I never thought I'd see another 4 cylinder Camaro after the 80's. At least the modern day 4 cylinder has a turbo that can get boost dialed up for respectable power.

I imagine the electric COPO is making a huge splash, but I also imagine at least a third of the people giving it attention are looking in disbelief instead of awe. It obviously is well built if it's running the numbers it is, but in my opinion it should still be called something other than Camaro.
Yes this I4 turbo is a complete different animal from the dog cars of the 80's. I for one am sold on it and with the 1LE package I've seen 1st hand what it can do. I would take it over the V6.

I do like your Panther suggestion.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
pyroguy

Quote:
Yes this I4 turbo is a complete different animal from the dog cars of the 80's. I for one am sold on it and with the 1LE package I've seen 1st hand what it can do. I would take it over the V6.

I do like your Panther suggestion.
It's funny, I'm always a proponent of the phrase "there's no replacement for displacement". However, because of the turbo the 4 cylinder has more potential from the factory than the V6. Now, when I hear a 4 cylinder coming it makes me think Honda Civic but that's because I started driving around the Fast and the Furious early years and they were almost exclusively Hondas and Toyotas and Mitsubishis with the occasional Skyline from Paul Walker. That being said, I'm sure the I4 with the 1LE package is quite the little peppy sports car.

Thanks for the Panther props. I would be surprised if someone at Chevy hadn't suggested something like this, but you never know.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #13
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
as long as the range,price and performance were all good and i liked the styling i wouldnt care what the car was named,but panther would be a good name for it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #14
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
Only issue i might see is a ford connection... their crown vic / lincoln towncar was on the panther platform... you can always pull from other gm historic nameplates like a wildcat or something (i realize the wildcat was a buick...)
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote