Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #43
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Here is a video of an SS losing it no warning on the Highway...

https://youtu.be/F6klPxkZ6hw?t=400

I typically use snow/ice mode.. ..it helps but it doesn't make it much safer. I'm typically hugging the shoulder while cars and semi's are wizzing by me at 60 MPH + while I can barely keep it straight at 40.
As others mentioned, the tires are worn out from the car doing burnouts. Of course he will have issues in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I agree peeps are leaving out what tire they have on the car and the conditions because the SC3 will get you in trouble with standing water, puddles, heavy rain, > 40mph.

Saying "my 1LE is good in the rain" omits any of the relevant facts necessary to come to that conclusion.
I have always had SC3, and I don't think there is a time when I had trouble, as long as I drive sensibly.

With all that being said, given how unusually cold this winter is around my neck of woods (we barely see freezing temperatures, but in a couple of days it can hit -15 C or close to 0 F), I am glad that I picked up a winter FWD car. Even then, I probably won't try to drive it in the snow because my winter car doesn't have proper snow tires as I was more concerned about rain traction, and no one around here knows how to drive in the snow and it just turns into bumper car outside, LOL.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #44
LA_LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1, BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2002a View Post
“no warning”

The car is on almost bald tires…
Tires are toast. Any car would lose it in the rain with tires like that. I had bald tires on my FWD RSX back in the day and same thing happened. There is no getting around physics.
LA_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #45
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Even still, I have similar problems with plenty of tread, and often times going much slower than 55.

On a road trip back from ATL to AUS I ran into downpour that flooded I-20 and even in the right lane doing 40ish with Semi’s racing by me, my car desperately wanted to veer off into the shoulder which required quite a bit of counter steering even in snow / ice mode. The same thing happened right after I got the car brand new on the very first day on the highway, brand new tires too. It has come to the point where if I’m on the highway and it starts raining hard, I just pull over and wait it out.

I haven’t had a single car that handles as terribly in the rain as my SS does and I’ve driven quite a few high performance cars. My 4th Gen used to hold that title due to the notoriously light rear of the car but my SS is much worse.

There was also a video here on Camaro6 where some guy in a Red SS doing approx 45 came out of a curve and hit a puddle and it instantly spun around on him into the oncoming lanes. I’ve been searching for the video but he posted it years ago and I can’t find it.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #46
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Quote:
Even still, I have similar problems with plenty of tread, and often times going much slower than 55.

On a road trip back from ATL to AUS I ran into downpour that flooded I-20 and even in the right lane doing 40ish with Semi’s racing by me, my car desperately wanted to veer off into the shoulder which required quite a bit of counter steering even in snow / ice mode. The same thing happened right after I got the car brand new on the very first day on the highway, brand new tires too. It has come to the point where if I’m on the highway and it starts raining hard, I just pull over and wait it out.

I haven’t had a single car that handles as terribly in the rain as my SS does and I’ve driven quite a few high performance cars. My 4th Gen used to hold that title due to the notoriously light rear of the car but my SS is much worse.

There was also a video here on Camaro6 where some guy in a Red SS doing approx 45 came out of a curve and hit a puddle and it instantly spun around on him into the oncoming lanes. I’ve been searching for the video but he posted it years ago and I can’t find it.

I have to completely disagree here. I have 3 thirdgens and have had 2 thirdgens and my 6th gen. Third and fourth gens aren't bad in the rain at all. Summer only tires or bald ones would do it. Had my 1LE in a monsoon with my kids in it with me and other than slowing down and being wary of standing water I was fine.

ANY car with wise tired will be a lot more susceptible to hydroplaning simply due to the fact of wider tires. Same difference as pizza cutters in the snow grip better.

Standing water is standing water period, you hit it at speed and any car with any tire has the chance to hydroplane
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:13 AM   #47
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
I have to completely disagree here. I have 3 thirdgens and have had 2 thirdgens and my 6th gen. Third and fourth gens aren't bad in the rain at all. Summer only tires or bald ones would do it. Had my 1LE in a monsoon with my kids in it with me and other than slowing down and being wary of standing water I was fine.

ANY car with wise tired will be a lot more susceptible to hydroplaning simply due to the fact of wider tires. Same difference as pizza cutters in the snow grip better.

Standing water is standing water period, you hit it at speed and any car with any tire has the chance to hydroplane
We can agree to disagree. My 6th Gen is terrible when it gets wet outside. My 4th Gen which puts down more power than my 6th (500 RWHP) isn't great but its tolerable, I recently blazed through a storm with PS4S tires on the 4th Gen (295/30/19 on the rear) that would have easily put the 6th Gen on stock Goodyears in a ditch (275/35/20 on the rear - slightly more narrow - but still has far worse performance than my 4th Gen in similar wet or cold driving conditions). The 6th Gen I refuse to drive when its wet unless I'm already outside when it happens. It doesn't even need to be standing water, if the roads get any more than damp, anything more than 1/8th gas and she becomes very unpredictable...literally like driving on ice. I could be cruising at 35 - 40 - no modification to throttle, no puddle, and it will randomly break loose and spin if the ground is wet. The rain performance of the Goodyears is absolutely terrible. If sedans and trucks are wizzing by me at 55+ and Im barely keeping it out of the shoulder at 35 - 40 ... there's something wrong with the car / tire combo from the factory. The non 1LE SS have decently wide tires at 275 width but I don't consider that to be very wide. I've driven cars with much wider tires and had nowhere near as much trouble as my 6th Gen SS gives me in the rain. The tire is not narrow by any stretch, just sufficient for the car's intended use. The 305's that come on the 1LE are a good bit wider but there seem to be less people complaining about wet traction.

My Stalled / Cammed / LS3 4th Gen with wider summer tires than my 6th Gen isn't great in the rain but it's not terrible as long as you don't do anything stupid. The 6th Gen - all stock, I have to baby it when it gets wet or cold.

I've noted earlier that it seems as though for whatever reason, 1LE's are having less problems than the standard 1SS / 2SS - why this is, I do not know as its illogical given the wider tire size should make it harder. But I tell no lie, if someone were to jump out of a sedan and into my SS and took it out in the rain, they would find themselves in trouble very quickly.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-24-2021 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #48
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
We can agree to disagree. My 6th Gen is terrible when it gets wet outside. My 4th Gen which puts down more power than my 6th (500 RWHP) isn't great but its tolerable, I recently blazed through a storm with PS4S tires on the 4th Gen (295/30/19 on the rear) that would have easily put the 6th Gen on stock Goodyears in a ditch (275/35/20 on the rear - slightly more narrow - but still has far worse performance than my 4th Gen in similar wet or cold driving conditions). The 6th Gen I refuse to drive when its wet unless I'm already outside when it happens. It doesn't even need to be standing water, if the roads get any more than damp, anything more than 1/8th gas and she becomes very unpredictable...literally like driving on ice. I could be cruising at 35 - 40 - no modification to throttle, no puddle, and it will randomly break loose and spin if the ground is wet. The rain performance of the Goodyears is absolutely terrible. If sedans and trucks are wizzing by me at 55+ and Im barely keeping it out of the shoulder at 35 - 40 ... there's something wrong with the car / tire combo from the factory. The non 1LE SS have decently wide tires at 275 width but I don't consider that to be very wide. I've driven cars with much wider tires and had nowhere near as much trouble as my 6th Gen SS gives me in the rain. The tire is not narrow by any stretch, just sufficient for the car's intended use. The 305's that come on the 1LE are a good bit wider but there seem to be less people complaining about wet traction.

My Stalled / Cammed / LS3 4th Gen with wider summer tires than my 6th Gen isn't great in the rain but it's not terrible as long as you don't do anything stupid. The 6th Gen - all stock, I have to baby it when it gets wet or cold.

I've noted earlier that it seems as though for whatever reason, 1LE's are having less problems than the standard 1SS / 2SS - why this is, I do not know as its illogical given the wider tire size should make it harder. But I tell no lie, if someone were to jump out of a sedan and into my SS and took it out in the rain, they would find themselves in trouble very quickly.
Power has nothing to do with traction in the rain. Driving technique does and your gen6 has a Snow mode that dampens your inputs. Technique and how you interpret what the car is telling you matters most …like all driving. I never use Snow mode in the rain.

I’ll admit I was worried when I left New York in my new 1LE, at midnight, in the middle of a major rainstorm that extended through Philadelphia, to drive 900 miles home. How would the staggered 285/305 Super Car 3 tires be in the rain compared to the SS, on Stock F1 245/275 tires, that I drove to New York in the same storm with monsoon rain from WI through OH?

It took me 50 miles to gain confidence in the 1LE and it was fine doing 75, slowing to 55 in heavy rain, the whole trip.

These cars can be driven in heavy rain on the OE tires. Many of us do it. My 1800 mile round trip is a nice example but I’ve daily driven gen6 Camaros since May 2016, changing to winter tires December through March. They plow well here but I’ve been on roads with 3 inches of snow with Sottozeros.

The storm I’m referring to was last Memorial Day. Friday and Saturday. Those that live in the area might remember it.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 12-24-2021 at 09:19 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #49
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
245 40 20 all season tires

precisely why the all season 245 40 20 tires on the LT1 are pretty damn good in all weather conditions. Narrow and compliant.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #50
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Power has nothing to do with traction in the rain. Driving technique does and your gen6 has a Snow mode that dampens your inputs. Technique and how you interpret what the car is telling you matters most …like all driving. I never use Snow mode in the rain.

I’ll admit I was worried when I left New York in my new 1LE, at midnight, in the middle of a major rainstorm that extended through Philadelphia, to drive 900 miles home. How would the staggered 285/305 Super Car 3 tires be in the rain compared to the SS, on Stock F1 245/275 tires, that I drove to New York in the same storm with monsoon rain from WI through OH?

It took me 50 miles to gain confidence in the 1LE and it was fine doing 75, slowing to 55 in heavy rain, the whole trip.

These cars can be driven in heavy rain on the OE tires. Many of us do it. My 1800 mile round trip is a nice example but I’ve daily driven gen6 Camaros since May 2016, changing to winter tires December through March. They plow well here but I’ve been on roads with 3 inches of snow with Sottozeros.

The storm I’m referring to was last Memorial Day. Friday and Saturday. Those that live in the area might remember it.
I'm using snow/ice mode in the rain, its the only way to keep the car drivable on wet pavement. Using Sports / Touring mode, it will go straight off the road. I've stated this twice in my previous posts... ...it does not help...I've also even stated I am traveling between 35 - 40 MPH and can't provide more than 1/8th gas without the vehicle becoming completely unpredictable. The issue is not driving technique when you are going so slow that you are literally a hazard on the road. I can't make this any more clear. If I have a car that puts down almost double the torque (more power going to the ground with similar throttle inputs), with wider tires (does a worse job at dispersing water to maintain pavement contact) that still handles better than my 6th Gen on similar wet pavement conditions, there is something wrong with the tire combo on the 6th Gen.

The 1LE's seem to for some reason do a better job at gripping when its wet outside than the standard SS - Why this is? I do not know, its illogical, but there are less people with 1LE's having problems with wet pavement than the standard SS.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #51
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I'm using snow/ice mode in the rain, its the only way to keep the car drivable on wet pavement. Using Sports / Touring mode, it will go straight off the road. I've stated this twice in my previous posts... ...it does not help...I've also even stated I am traveling between 35 - 40 MPH and can't provide more than 1/8th gas without the vehicle becoming completely unpredictable. The issue is not driving technique when you are going so slow that you are literally a hazard on the road. I can't make this any more clear. If I have a car that puts down almost double the torque (more power going to the ground with similar throttle inputs), with wider tires (does a worse job at dispersing water to maintain pavement contact) that still handles better than my 6th Gen on similar wet pavement conditions, there is something wrong with the tire combo on the 6th Gen.

The 1LE's seem to for some reason do a better job at gripping when its wet outside than the standard SS - Why this is? I do not know, its illogical, but there are less people with 1LE's having problems with wet pavement than the standard SS.
The roads in Texas must be covered in oil then. I’ve driven ne New York, Philadelphia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin in monsoon rain with the wipers on high. No problemo. SS or SS 1LE.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #52
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
ooops.. posted on wrong thread... Carry On...
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #53
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The roads in Texas must be covered in oil then. I’ve driven ne New York, Philadelphia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin in monsoon rain with the wipers on high. No problemo. SS or SS 1LE.
I know you're joking, but I can confidently say that the roads in Las Vegas are SUPER slippery, even when dry as a bone.

Months and months of hot rubber build-up with little-to-no rain to clean them off. I used to be able to drop a knee on my motorcycles all over the place in the DC region, but man, it's kinda sketchy here - I feel my rear tire squirming out from under me all the damn time. Even my dually truck, if I even hit a tiny patch of water, can easily break the rear end loose if I want to.

I haven't driven much in Texas to compare it to, but I definitely was not expecting roads to be NEARLY as slippery here - in fact, I assumed in summer it'd be quite sticky! Not so much.

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #54
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
I know you're joking, but I can confidently say that the roads in Las Vegas are SUPER slippery, even when dry as a bone.

Months and months of hot rubber build-up with little-to-no rain to clean them off. I used to be able to drop a knee on my motorcycles all over the place in the DC region, but man, it's kinda sketchy here - I feel my rear tire squirming out from under me all the damn time. Even my dually truck, if I even hit a tiny patch of water, can easily break the rear end loose if I want to.

I haven't driven much in Texas to compare it to, but I definitely was not expecting roads to be NEARLY as slippery here - in fact, I assumed in summer it'd be quite sticky! Not so much.
I’m going to agree with what your saying…I have found that in some case, roads in warmer climates “may” offer less traction than up north (you can sometimes see the shiny smoothness) I’m not certain if it’s the size or shape of the aggregate embedded in the tar, perhaps tire rubber accumulates, or maybe a different asphalt mix for the warmer weather. No idea, but I’ve also encountered the same look / issue on newly paved roads up north. The lack of heavily exposed aggregate, poor road slope and heavy rains can make things a bit tricky. You just have to know what to look for and be careful.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #55
Need4Camaro

Newer High Capacity Roads in TX are typically made of rebar reinforced concrete (yes, even at surface level) because of the clay soil in some areas and also how hot it gets during the summer. Blacktop surfaces in hot summer states lead to excessive tire wear because they do a poor job at dispersing heat. Florida particularly uses a lighter texture pavement on their interstates because of this. The surface of the roads are a bit less forgiving than the granite / asphalt roads we had in Georgia. I’ve found it easier to break the tires loose here. TX does use Asphalt as well but many of our highways are concrete.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:15 AM   #56
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
A summer tire is going to do best on dry pavement. In my experience, some summer tires do great in the rain and others suck. It comes down to the tread pattern.

All things being equal, summer tires like the stock Goodyears will do worse on wet roads than all-seasons. Summer tires have large tread blocks and a lot less channels to pump water away from the contact surfaces. An all-seasons have smaller tread blocks and a lot more channels so have a huge capacity for pumping water away and so typically do better in the rain.

Now some summer tires do great in the wet but an all-season will typically do better because that’s what it’s designed for. Summer tires typically emphasize dry performance above 40F.

As for snow, a winter tire will do beast because of tire compound and tread pattern. Some all-seasons are starting to approach winter tire performance but over all winter tires will do best in winter.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote