#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-06-2023, 03:05 PM   #57
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Well I maybe done doing Track Night in America. Keep running into drivers with fast cars that are not very experienced in the intermediate and advanced groups and not understanding etiquette or track dynamics. Got passed "under first lap caution" although it looks like SCCA decided to change that between the first and second session but did not tell anyone as indicated by the lights and flags. Corvette driver decided to pass without a point by and then over cooked it into the bus stop on cold tires and a damp track. Instead of taking the escape route the driver decided to remerge into the skinny part of the bus stop as I am bearing down on him. I decided we were probably going for the same real estate and bailed to his back side. Glad I only got some grass in the grill could have been much worse for both of us. Should have know to back further off, my mistake.

Thanks for posting. I too have noticed that TNIA tends to have more variability of driver skill within a run-group than HPDE's that provide well-structured instruction and strict grading and rules for promotion to higher run groups. Unfortunately, it just means that you have to expect more errors from these drivers and include more safety cushion when you are near them.

Indeed, the Vette driver made a bad decision to rejoin the racing line with so little speed. But on the on the other hand, from a "defensive driver" point of view, you could have done better to minimize your risk.

You dragged your foot on the brake with ~ half normal pressure for several seconds while you presumably were watching the scenario with the Vette unfold, leaving a large chunk of braking for the very end. I understand you probably did not want to brake hard prior to normal brake zone as that would be an unexpected, dangerous move for the cars following close behind you. An alternative that would have worked would be to initially brake lightly to let the followers see your brake lights, then progress to heavy braking and scrub enough speed to enter the chicane below track normal speed and easily allow for you to take a "far left" line in case the Vette driver wound up doing what he ultimately did.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 03:30 PM   #58
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post

Indeed, the Vette driver made a bad decision to rejoin the racing line with so little speed. But on the on the other hand, from a "defensive driver" point of view, you could have done better to minimize your risk.
I agree I should have done better, just got a bit of red mist I guess after he had stuck it to my bumper on a warm up lap and then passed without a point by.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:37 PM   #59
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Well I maybe done doing Track Night in America. Keep running into drivers with fast cars that are not very experienced in the intermediate and advanced groups and not understanding etiquette or track dynamics. Got passed "under first lap caution" although it looks like SCCA decided to change that between the first and second session but did not tell anyone as indicated by the lights
I did TNIA at Daytona in the advanced group last year and found the same thing plus there were just too many cars on track. Also an "advanced" driver hit the tires before Charlotte Roval turn 1 right in front of me at the beginning of the first session at a TNIA event 2 years ago. On the other hand, I have done track night events at many other tracks with no issues. Personally I would like to go back to Daytona sometime in the future but I would not pick a Track Night event unless it was the only option for the year but I will continue to go to Track Night events at other tracks if they fit my schedule.

However to play devil's advocate, you should have pointed by the white Vette on your bumper as soon as you saw the green light after entering the banking if you were following track etiquette. Also technically the Vette didn't leave the track surface but I agree that the driver should have taken the cut through or used their mirrors and waited for a gap before getting back onto the racing line considering how slow they were going.

I always ask if the out lap is yellow or green at Track Night drivers meetings if it isn't mentioned because it is almost always green (usually implied = no actual green flag displayed) and this is different from how many other track event organizers run their events. The track night flag video they email out before each event does not even mention the green flag which is not good. Whatever flag (or light color) is displayed during the out lap should override what was said about the out lap in the drivers meeting.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:38 PM   #60
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I did TNIA at Daytona in the advanced group last year and found the same thing plus there were just too many cars on track. Also an "advanced" driver hit the tires before Charlotte Roval turn 1 right in front of me at the beginning of the first session at a TNIA event 2 years ago. On the other hand, I have done track night events at many other tracks with no issues. Personally I would like to go back to Daytona sometime in the future but I would not pick a Track Night event unless it was the only option for the year but I will continue to go to Track Night events at other tracks if they fit my schedule.

However to play devil's advocate, you should have pointed by the white Vette on your bumper as soon as you saw the green light after entering the banking if you were following track etiquette. Also technically the Vette didn't leave the track surface but I agree that the driver should have taken the cut through or used their mirrors and waited for a gap before getting back onto the racing line considering how slow they were going.

I always ask if the out lap is yellow or green at Track Night drivers meetings if it isn't mentioned because it is almost always green (usually implied = no actual green flag displayed) and this is different from how many other track event organizers run their events. The track night flag video they email out before each event does not even mention the green flag which is not good. Whatever flag (or light color) is displayed during the out lap should override what was said about the out lap in the drivers meeting.
Was about to do just that when he went by as soon as i saw the green light I got it, first lap under caution was discussed in the driver meeting, and first session was executed that way no mention between sessions about that changing. In looking at the video, When leaving pit lane the flag stand on pitlane exit the gentleman has the double yellow out and then begins to withdrawal it as I go by, so I think even he was confused. I remember seeing that double yellow but not the withdrawal. I should have picked up the other flag stands so that is my mistake as well.

You are correct he never left the surface but never even looked back to see if anyone was going to be there, that is the skinniest point of the course and even had I been able to avoid him, I am pretty sure i would have ended up in the grass on the outside of 9 and with the rain would have been a free ride into the inside wall.

All of it could have been avoided had I backed it down earlier going into 8 as others have suggested, it has been bothering me all weekend, mad that he was able to get me off my game in the first place.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 11:24 PM   #61
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I know that lousy and inconsiderate drivers at HPDE events can easily get under your skin. But take a deep breath and remind yourself that the cars (with the OEM safety systems) we are driving were not designed for collisions with solid objects at speeds over ~ 50 mph. At HPDEs we are well exceeding those speeds, so safety is #1 because we want to be able to go home with our cars and our bodies in one piece.

If you run across a fellow driver who is not behaving in a safe and predictable manner, I suggest you:

1) Distance yourself from that driver on track
2) Inform the track stewards of that driver's unsafe behavior and ask that corrective action be taken.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 06:08 PM   #62
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
One more to add, first thing in the video.

Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:46 AM   #63
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
At TNIA events 1st session 1st lap is yellow. 2nd and 3rd sessions are green first lap.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 03:24 PM   #64
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
First time to Mid-Ohio, first session, third lap...not enough brake into Madness, then not enough steering input, then no throttle to rotate, then forgetting the grass was wet ...

Stopped with the right rear about 3' from the concrete wall.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwfso48rreU/
Old 04-13-2024, 08:39 PM   #65
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
First time to Mid-Ohio, first session, third lap...not enough brake into Madness, then not enough steering input, then no throttle to rotate, then forgetting the grass was wet ...

Stopped with the right rear about 3' from the concrete wall.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwfso48rreU/
Nice save, that's a tricky corner.

I have one from mid Ohio today. How not to enter Turn 1.

3 mistakes:
1) Downshifting after turn-in
2) I typically heal and toe, but was being lazy this time and did not, thinking auto blib would do it for me
3) accidently switched off auto blip earlier in the session

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 04-14-2024 at 08:34 AM.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:49 PM   #66
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Nice save, that's a tricky corner.

I have one from mid Ohio today. How not to enter Turn 1.

3 mistakes:
1) Downshifting after turn-in
2) I typically heal and toe, but was being lazy this time and did not, thinking auto blib would do it for me
3) accidently switched off auto blip earlier in the session

Nice save!
Old 04-14-2024, 07:33 PM   #67
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Putnam last year Lotus spinout

https://youtu.be/Na-h4NZRr6o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:59 PM   #68
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Nice save!
Thanks, I had that split moment when I considered going shiffle hands to add more, but then I though "no, just hold full lock, it will be catch". Glad I stayed the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Putnam last year Lotus spinout

https://youtu.be/Na-h4NZRr6o
At least the lotus was courteous enough to stay of the line. Good looking out.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:53 PM   #69
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
Alright.. I'll throw one out there from the past -

My wife forgot to put the hood pins back in. Somehow the car made it through the warm up lap and the first few corners.

It was a qualifying race - I finished second. There was a LOT of interest in how much the car weighed in impound..
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:18 PM   #70
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
Alright.. I'll throw one out there from the past -

My wife forgot to put the hood pins back in. Somehow the car made it through the warm up lap and the first few corners.

It was a qualifying race - I finished second. There was a LOT of interest in how much the car weighed in impound..
Well you handled that like a Pro, just kept on racing!