Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-25-2023, 08:46 PM   #1
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
First time I did that!

Had my first spin last week after about 3 years.of track days. NJMP Lightning, turn 7.....cold track, cold tires, lap 2 and PTM Race.... Learned a valuable lesson.

https://youtu.be/BcqQK8P8zTI?feature=shared
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:31 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
You finished the spin really close to the wall! Glad you were OK.

In addition to throttle application on corner exit with cold tires, I think there's another lesson or two in this from watching your video if I could suggest:

1) Keep your hands at 9 and 3 if you can, not bunched together. This will give you more flexibility should you need to counter steer.

2) You reacted a little bit slowly to the oversteer event and (given the yaw rate that had developed by the time you started to counter-steer) did not apply enough counter-steer to arrest the rotation. Part of the reason for this was you ran out of arm movement because your hands were together instead of opposite sides of the wheel.

I experienced my first serious oversteer event as a surprise at 90mph with (not unlike you) at least 1 tire barrier not far away. I wasn't completely successful in my attempt to catch and then "recover" to normal wheel position, and decided that I needed to get some wet skidpad practice so I'd be better prepared the next time. I'd suggest you do the same.

Good luck to ya!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:50 PM   #3
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Glad you and the car are fine! Definitely some lessons to be learned and luckily they weren't expensive besides maybe a new pair of underwear. As stated above, having good control over the steering wheel will help you with any corrections needed in the event of an oversteer. Love seeing the 1LE out on the track!
2018 Blue AWD Kia Stinger GT2 -Sold-
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #4
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
I had a similar spin at Lightning, outlap, cold tires!

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #5
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Who had the audacity to honk the horn at the racing circuit?
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:07 PM   #6
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
You finished the spin really close to the wall! Glad you were OK.

In addition to throttle application on corner exit with cold tires, I think there's another lesson or two in this from watching your video if I could suggest:

1) Keep your hands at 9 and 3 if you can, not bunched together. This will give you more flexibility should you need to counter steer.

2) You reacted a little bit slowly to the oversteer event and (given the yaw rate that had developed by the time you started to counter-steer) did not apply enough counter-steer to arrest the rotation. Part of the reason for this was you ran out of arm movement because your hands were together instead of opposite sides of the wheel.

I experienced my first serious oversteer event as a surprise at 90mph with (not unlike you) at least 1 tire barrier not far away. I wasn't completely successful in my attempt to catch and then "recover" to normal wheel position, and decided that I needed to get some wet skidpad practice so I'd be better prepared the next time. I'd suggest you do the same.

Good luck to ya!
Agreed on the hand position, unfortunately I've found that on l harder left handers I've been using this grip to help hold me in the seat. That should all change come next year when I switch to a Schroth Rallye 3 harness.

As for the slow reaction, that was sort of on purpose because I remember thinking about the C7 pushing me hard and I was afraid if I overcorrected I'd "tankslap" back across the track and get plowed by him. Hindsight 20/20 I'm glad with the decision but it almost ended poorly. I'm actually surprised at my reaction because normally I would've just wheeled it to try and catch it.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:08 PM   #7
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
I had a similar spin at Lightning, outlap, cold tires!

Wow that got away from you quick!

Yeah lesson learned! Should've taken another lap before getting after it.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #8
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
Who had the audacity to honk the horn at the racing circuit?
I remember laughing when I heard it real time I've never once thought about honking when someone lost it in front of me
Old 09-26-2023, 05:01 PM   #9
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post

As for the slow reaction, that was sort of on purpose because I remember thinking about the C7 pushing me hard and I was afraid if I overcorrected I'd "tankslap" back across the track and get plowed by him. Hindsight 20/20 I'm glad with the decision but it almost ended poorly. I'm actually surprised at my reaction because normally I would've just wheeled it to try and catch it.
The faster you can react to oversteer, the LESS counter-steer it will take to neutralize it. Tank slap overcorrection can be caused by too much counter-steer as I think you've implied and were concerned about, but it can also be caused by not immediately returning the steering wheel position "normal" after you've used counter-steer to stop the rotation.

These skills are things you need to be competent in if you are going to drive in such a manner that oversteer is a real possibility. And that's why learning on a skidpad can be so valuable. You get to practice catch, pause, recovery (CPR) from oversteer situations and you start to develop a feel for how much counter-steer is required.

The best way you can be prepared for oversteer is both knowing the mechanics of what to do it if happens (see above), AND having an exit plan for which side is best to run off the track (in each particular corner) if you can't keep it on the asphalt in order to minimize likelihood of hitting a barrier. Staying out of the way of the guy who is following you would be a distant 2nd or 3rd priority, as that guy should have the skills to slow his car enough to avoid you. You just need to be predictable.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:33 PM   #10
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I don't think it was cold tires, it looks like you got off the brakes too fast and then you stabbed the throttle a bit too much, little slow on the correction too. The weight transfer was too abrupt along with some sand/dirt on track.

I personally find that the tires are pretty cold for the first maybe 4-5 turns then there is decent grip. Agree with N Camarolina that it would benefit you to go to a skid pad so you feel more comfortable counter steering. Having said that you did the right thing for you, when all else fails 2 feet in.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 01:34 PM   #11
correcaminos
Corre Caminos

Drives: '24 1SS 6M 1LE
Quote:
... and decided that I needed to get some wet skidpad practice so I'd be better prepared the next time. I'd suggest you do the same.
Good luck to ya!
So, how do you go about getting some time on a wet skidpad?
Old 09-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #12
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by correcaminos View Post
So, how do you go about getting some time on a wet skidpad?
Many tracks have a skidpad facility on the premises, and often (but not always) they have the ability to add moving water to increase the slip factor. Wet is considerably better than dry, as it both reduces tire wear and makes it easier to get the back end to step out (at lower speeds).

To access the skidpad, you might be able to rent it yourself, but I'd suspect that the cost might be prohibitive. HPDE and other organizations that focus on "car control" training will sometimes rent-out the skidpad as part of the event offering. When the BMWCCA group does this at VIR, they rent out the skidpad on Friday and have track HPDE on Saturday and Sunday. The skidpad itself is a $65 option to add when you are taking part in the $550 HPDE weekend event. I would suggest you call the tracks that are convenient for you to drive to and ask if they have a wet skidpad and what organizations in the coming months are planning on using it. Then contact those organizations to see about joining their event.

The usual approach is having a couple of rotating, in-car instructors handy to give you tips on managing car balance as you go through practicing understeer and oversteer. I liked it so much I've done it on 3 separate occasions and used the 2nd and 3rd to focus soley on oversteer.

If you have more than one wheelset, use the tires that have the worse wet traction. Slippery is your friend in this case.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:32 PM   #13
RoaringV8

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro SS 1LE Camaro
I almost lost it in the same turn at NJMP Lightning the first track day driving my 6th gen SS 1LE there. I've run many days at the track prior in my 5th gen SS 1LE and you've got to be careful getting on the throttle too quick with too much steering input in that turn especially if you turn in too early. Happy to see you didn't hit anything.
RoaringV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:47 AM   #14
correcaminos
Corre Caminos

Drives: '24 1SS 6M 1LE
Quote:
To access the skidpad, you might be able to rent it yourself, but I'd suspect that the cost might be prohibitive. HPDE and other organizations that focus on "car control" training will sometimes rent-out the skidpad as part of the event offering. When the BMWCCA group does this at VIR, they rent out the skidpad on Friday and have track HPDE on Saturday and Sunday. The skidpad itself is a $65 option to add when you are taking part in the $550 HPDE weekend event. I would suggest you call the tracks that are convenient for you to drive to and ask if they have a wet skidpad and what organizations in the coming months are planning on using it. Then contact those organizations to see about joining their event.
Thank you! I'll check.