Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-29-2023, 07:00 AM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Does windshield tint highlight pitting?

18 with 37k miles. Usual pitting for a track car. I have tint on sides and rear. Getting windshield tint tomorrow. I've heard tint can highlight imperfections in the glass. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Thanks.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
On my 2016 the windshield was crap. It came pitted and at the right angle it showed every defect. I hope the quality on my 2024 is better. Good question I was thinking about tinting also. Following.
dpevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:14 AM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
my windshield is really pitted from track driving. I'm actually wondering if using resign made for fixing cracked windshields would help. I bet it would be time consuming but would make your windshield look as good as new.

I might try it this winter. I have no cracks just a lot of pits, it should work in theory.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:23 AM   #4
dpevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
my windshield is really pitted from track driving. I'm actually wondering if using resign made for fixing cracked windshields would help. I bet it would be time consuming but would make your windshield look as good as new.

I might try it this winter. I have no cracks just a lot of pits, it should work in theory.
I was wondering if a cheap PPF would work. I use track Armour on the rockers wonder if it would work on the windshield during track days.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:36 AM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
As a data point, my 50% windshield tint didn't make small pits any more conspicuous, there is zero difference in that regard.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #6
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I was wondering if a cheap PPF would work. I use track Armour on the rockers wonder if it would work on the windshield during track days.
There are windshield solutions as far as PPF goes, but your regular track armour/cheap PPF will not work as your windshield is going to be hard to see through and I doubt any organization is going to let you go out on track with that on your windshield.

Good solutions for windshield PPF I believe go for about $400.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:15 PM   #7
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
18 with 37k miles. Usual pitting for a track car. I have tint on sides and rear. Getting windshield tint tomorrow. I've heard tint can highlight imperfections in the glass. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Thanks.
I thought I was the only one. My windshield on my 18 with 9000 miles is f'n garbage at this point. Driving into the sun in the morning or evening makes it look like the car has seen 500k miles, absolute crap. Will a replacement windshield do the same thing with the pitting? Probably 1/3 of those miles are track miles.

But I will say my windshield was crap from the day I bought it. Didn't see it until a sunny day but it was horrible from the get go. I was figuring they rubbed it down with steel wool or something at the dealer since it was sitting for 6 months or so before I bought it.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #8
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
I thought I was the only one. My windshield on my 18 with 9000 miles is f'n garbage at this point. Driving into the sun in the morning or evening makes it look like the car has seen 500k miles, absolute crap. Will a replacement windshield do the same thing with the pitting? Probably 1/3 of those miles are track miles.

But I will say my windshield was crap from the day I bought it. Didn't see it until a sunny day but it was horrible from the get go. I was figuring they rubbed it down with steel wool or something at the dealer since it was sitting for 6 months or so before I bought it.
You're not alone. I noticed the pitting around $5,000 and I've been crying ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
As a data point, my 50% windshield tint didn't make small pits any more conspicuous, there is zero difference in that regard.
Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Unfortunately from my research no, a cheap ppf will not work. There are protection films out there that can be put on the windshield professionally that protect it from pitting. I did not find out about that solution till 25,000 and figured at some point when it comes time to replace the windshield that is something I'll invest in at that point. Companies like Ultrafit, Exoshield and Xpel come to mind.

Quote:

I actually tried something like this on a windshield that I knew was going to be replaced, due to the nature of the Rock Chip and how it was cracking. Most resins cannot withstand UV exposure and for the amount of effort that was put into it, it wasn't worth a nominal improvement in outcome. The pitting appears to be magnified from our perspective but it actually is so minimal that resins being as thick as they are and needing a good surface to adhere to just don't fill it in like one would think.

I've even tried resin on my sunglasses after an episode where I left them on top of the car and they fell off on the pavement. I would admit that it worked but it did distort the image a small amount.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 09-04-2023, 08:09 PM   #9
dpevans

Quote:
There are windshield solutions as far as PPF goes, but your regular track armour/cheap PPF will not work as your windshield is going to be hard to see through and I doubt any organization is going to let you go out on track with that on your windshield.

Good solutions for windshield PPF I believe go for about $400.
I found multi sheet tears offs at protintshop.com was thinking about trying a set of those for 125. Looks like they apply just like PPF.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:20 AM   #10
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
I found multi sheet tears offs at protintshop.com was thinking about trying a set of those for 125. Looks like they apply just like PPF.
Thanks for the link. When and if I ever get a new windshield I'll remember this post.

However when I went to their site I see they only have tear offs for 10 to 13 models.

Am I missing something?

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 09-09-2023, 08:50 AM   #11
Christian1LE

Quote:
Thanks for the link. When and if I ever get a new windshield I'll remember this post.

However when I went to their site I see they only have tear offs for 10 to 13 models.

Am I missing something?
Best solution is probably to just give them a call and ask. I'm sure they have something that will fit our windshields fairly well. My windshield is awful right now. After I replace it I'm going to look into this as well.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #12
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:

Am I missing something?

I sent them an email asking about the tear offs for the 6th gen and they never bothered to respond. I'm not chasing them down so I can give them money. I ordered a sheet of windshield protection film from another source and installed it myself. You do have to trim it to fit, but it was not as hard as I thought. You can tell it's on, but it is livable especially since I want to keep the oem glass for as long as possible.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:53 AM   #13
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
I just added heat reflective tint... No issues highlighting outter glass damage. If I tracked the car, i would have absolutely added PPF to the glass.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote