Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2023, 06:38 PM   #1
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
First trip to Tail of the dragon and thoughts

So, I had a long work week and decided to just get away from it for a day. I took off Thursday late afternoon to head to the Tail of the Dragon. Got a hotel for the night in Asheville, woke up at 6am and another 2 hours to the Tail. My last 2 'performance' cars I had, Kia Stinger and Hyundai Veloster N I took there too. The stinger was obviously a brick trying to swing around those turns, but it was comfortable. The Veloster N was a zippy, twitchy riot. It was pretty easy to push the limits in that car and approach the limit of the car/tires there and still not be super unsafe.

So I was a bit weary with the first run down the Dragon in the 1LE, my first actual road in the first RWD car I have ever taken on something like that. I will say, the car ate up any turn I threw at it. I was driving it reasonably and obviously staying in my lane like you are supposed to. I have a tick coming from my front driver side wheel which I am sure is that annoying issue with the surface not being perfectly flush with the wheel and the hub, but it still bothered me and I didn't push it very hard.

I turned around and made my way the other way up the Tail and I managed a decent amount through it before traffic. Funny thing is I stayed in second gear for about 90% of the run, I had a couple opportunities for a NLS from 2nd to 3rd which was great. I drove that first run in Sport with Competitive mode enabled. I was able to push out of the corners very well.

At the end of that second run, I was pushing it pretty good and towards the end, I actually started to feel a bit of brake fade, I know a lot of people will swap out brake fluid if they track it but I think if I give the car 10-15 minutes between runs it should be enough time to cool things down. Coolant temps didn't even budge, Oil temps went up a bit and the trans temps were up slightly.

So I did a run in Track with the Dry setting in competitive mode. It cut throttle quite a bit coming out of a turn, does this mode attempt to eliminate wheelspin? I still do not fully understand what I gain or lose in all these different settings. I have only touched dry and rain.

I'm very impressed with the car and how it handled the Dragon, I thought the car was going to feel too big to throw around like I could the Veloster N. The shifting is much more fun in the Veloster N, lots of 2nd into 3rd and downshifts which is fun. The Camaro I felt like it was basically automatic staying in 2nd gear most of the time.

I think I burned through about 1/8 of a tank each run. Tires held up really well, the fronts had so much grip and the rears definitely got some heat in them.
2018 Blue AWD Kia Stinger GT2 -Sold-
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
Geese1

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE - 2023 Mazda3 Turbo
Sounds like a lot of fun!

I've been to the Dragon twice when I had my Evo IX MR, back in 2008 and 2011 or so. Always been meaning to get back there, and was planning on going down this year with the Camaro, but I lucked out and was able to grab a spot in the Everyday Driver Utah meet-up in June (where they take you around to some of their favorite driving roads in the area, and if you've ever seen any of their videos they are spectacular), so I'll be driving the car to Utah instead. Should make an interesting road trip in addition to the roads when I actually get there.

4/15/22 - #1100
4/19/22 - #2000
4/22/22 - #3000
4/26/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/12/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/18/22 - #4300
7/25/22 - #6000 - Took delivery
5/28/23 - hit 1,500 miles - break-in officially over!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 12:03 AM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
With some stiffer sways and decent width tires, the stinger is plenty fun on public roads. The 1LE is way above it, but the stinger is decent like that. Im not wringing the 1LE out above those levels in public.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I leave the Dragon to the motorcycle guys that "discovered" it and put on the map. Now I'm a gazillion miles from it so it doesn't matter.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #5
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
I leave the Dragon to the motorcycle guys that "discovered" it and put on the map. Now I'm a gazillion miles from it so it doesn't matter.
Oh believe me, there were plenty of them there like always. I only have a few experiences of a sold 5-10 minutes of no traffic and that was on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. The weekends are the worst time to go. There was a Porsche group and a Bronco(not sure why) group there also enjoying. There are tons of other great roads in that area.
2018 Blue AWD Kia Stinger GT2 -Sold-
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #6
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I’ve been twice. Went in the winter and on weekdays to avoid the crowds and crazys. Had the road to myself. I was hitting some speeds that I wouldn’t do when it’s busy there. Too many people, especially motorcycles trying to apex blind corners.
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:06 PM   #7
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I have found that the Friday night after Thanksgiving, fun back roads around here normally jammed up by pedestrian traffic, are empty.

Timing like the "Tail" in winter during the week helps a lot.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:35 PM   #8
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2022cs View Post
So, I had a long work week and decided to just get away from it for a day. I took off Thursday late afternoon to head to the Tail of the Dragon. Got a hotel for the night in Asheville, woke up at 6am and another 2 hours to the Tail. My last 2 'performance' cars I had, Kia Stinger and Hyundai Veloster N I took there too. The stinger was obviously a brick trying to swing around those turns, but it was comfortable. The Veloster N was a zippy, twitchy riot. It was pretty easy to push the limits in that car and approach the limit of the car/tires there and still not be super unsafe.

So I was a bit weary with the first run down the Dragon in the 1LE, my first actual road in the first RWD car I have ever taken on something like that. I will say, the car ate up any turn I threw at it. I was driving it reasonably and obviously staying in my lane like you are supposed to. I have a tick coming from my front driver side wheel which I am sure is that annoying issue with the surface not being perfectly flush with the wheel and the hub, but it still bothered me and I didn't push it very hard.

I turned around and made my way the other way up the Tail and I managed a decent amount through it before traffic. Funny thing is I stayed in second gear for about 90% of the run, I had a couple opportunities for a NLS from 2nd to 3rd which was great. I drove that first run in Sport with Competitive mode enabled. I was able to push out of the corners very well.

At the end of that second run, I was pushing it pretty good and towards the end, I actually started to feel a bit of brake fade, I know a lot of people will swap out brake fluid if they track it but I think if I give the car 10-15 minutes between runs it should be enough time to cool things down. Coolant temps didn't even budge, Oil temps went up a bit and the trans temps were up slightly.

So I did a run in Track with the Dry setting in competitive mode. It cut throttle quite a bit coming out of a turn, does this mode attempt to eliminate wheelspin? I still do not fully understand what I gain or lose in all these different settings. I have only touched dry and rain.

I'm very impressed with the car and how it handled the Dragon, I thought the car was going to feel too big to throw around like I could the Veloster N. The shifting is much more fun in the Veloster N, lots of 2nd into 3rd and downshifts which is fun. The Camaro I felt like it was basically automatic staying in 2nd gear most of the time.

I think I burned through about 1/8 of a tank each run. Tires held up really well, the fronts had so much grip and the rears definitely got some heat in them.
Dry is the most nannies, even sport 1 really stops you from getting any type of slip. Sport 2 will free the car up fairly well and once you're really comfortable Race is where you want to be. But you're responsible for correction if the car steps out.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:29 PM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
I’ve been twice. Went in the winter and on weekdays to avoid the crowds and crazys. Had the road to myself. I was hitting some speeds that I wouldn’t do when it’s busy there. Too many people, especially motorcycles trying to apex blind corners.
It seems like it's for people that live in flat states that don't have any mountain roads or something...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:56 PM   #10
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
It seems like it's for people that live in flat states that don't have any mountain roads or something...
lol
I always wanted to go, and after watching enough youtube, see nothing that I can't find locally other than some sort of bucket list reasoning, bragging rights.

Some of the twisty roads I've found turn out to be "Pa's tail of the dragon" out in Swatara State park near Fort Indiantown Gap military base. I had been driving the roads for years then recently stumbled across a motorcycle blog that mentioned Pa's tail of the dragon. Gold Mine road to 125.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:22 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
lol
I always wanted to go, and after watching enough youtube, see nothing that I can't find locally other than some sort of bucket list reasoning, bragging rights.

Some of the twisty roads I've found turn out to be "Pa's tail of the dragon" out in Swatara State park near Fort Indiantown Gap military base. I had been driving the roads for years then recently stumbled across a motorcycle blog that mentioned Pa's tail of the dragon. Gold Mine road to 125.
Back in the day I did enjoy some back roads in the Poconos, close to the racetrack. Not much in the way of elevation changes (which I'm actually fine with, heh, I'm not really a mountain goat), but they were nice twisty roads with little to no traffic nevertheless.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:58 PM   #12
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Back in the day I did enjoy some back roads in the Poconos, close to the racetrack. Not much in the way of elevation changes (which I'm actually fine with, heh, I'm not really a mountain goat), but they were nice twisty roads with little to no traffic nevertheless.
Know the area well.
I actually got married by the Mayor of Mount Pocono not that far away.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:40 AM   #13
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Not sure if I got lucky but I did the PA tail of the dragon this past summer and hit almost no traffic. It was an awesome road. I just wish I lived a little closer to it.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:54 AM   #14
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
Nice man, I've been up there several times. Next time you're in the area try the Skyway, and Foothills Parkway, those are less tight and really fun in a car with some power.

I never had any brake fade, but the stock SC3's were starting to get a little warm in the front, it's tight and that's a lot of weight to change direction.

I'll be back in august on my RT660 setup, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what she'll do.

Obligatory tail pic:
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote