Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #29
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
not true...my car is a '17 and it sits perfectly now. I would not want it any lower. Fanatic's car is an '18 and his car is slightly higher in the rear for unknown reasons.

I'm not sure I understand; your car is 2017 so that's why it would sit at the right height now that it has Eibach lowering springs to correct the wrong front springs GM put in the car originally, unless you mean your 2017 didn't have that issue and the new springs made a big difference in looks for you?

Mines a 2018 and I'm looking for more than just the slight change in height that many 2018 owners say they have with the Eibach springs which Fanatic seems to agree with when he said he wished his car was lower in the rear. I'm not saying you shouldn't like the height yours is at, I'm saying I want more than the 1/4" to 1/2" drop the 2018's seem to getting on the front with the Eibachs.

According to the Wildhammer website Eibach says their springs lower the Camaro (doesn't seem to specific which model or year) by .6" in the front and 1" in the rear.

The YYZ springs say 1" to 1.2" drop for the 1LE which is closer to what I'm looking for, I'm looking for about 1" but I'm not sure how much difference in ride height there is from the factory between a stock 1LE and a stock ZL1 if any

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-04-2019 at 11:44 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #30
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
There is no perfect option or opinion here. I can say after swapping to Eibachs in my car the height is ideal for me with perfect fender gap. The factory springs left a lot to be desired and I believe my car had the "non updated" fronts. If my car were any lower it would be too much IMHO and the tire would be tucked under the lip of the fender. Do you think there is any variability in manufacturing of Eibach springs since I purchased/installed mine 18 months ago? Who knows?
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #31
GunMetalGrey

Got this from a member who got it from Eibachs website

SS 1LE

Front
OE rate: 31 N/mm (177 lbs/in)
OE wheel center to fender: 392 mm (15.4 in)

Rear
OE rate: 87 N/mm (497 lbs/in)
OE wheel center to fender: 379 mm (14.9 in)

ZL1

Front
OE rate: 30 N/mm (171 lbs/in)
OE wheel center to fender: 381 mm (15.0 in)

Rear
OE rate: 93 N/mm (531 lbs/in)
OE wheel center to fender: 387 mm (15.2 in)

According to this, if YYZ Springs lower a 1LE by 1” then they will lower a ZL1 by about 1/2” in the front and perhaps A full inch in the rear (both of these are assumptions since they have not yet clarified if there is a difference between front and back)

Now I’m waiting to hear back from RSR regarding their springs

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-05-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #32
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
are you looking for the most low or best handling or what? i dont get it anymore
Old 02-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #33
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
are you looking for the most low or best handling or what? i dont get it anymore
I want both. I don't need more performance, a little would be nice, but I definitely don't want a decrease in performance or worse ride quality.

I don't know what's not to get; virtually none of these spring manufacturers seem to say how much their springs will drop a ZL1. The one that does, Eibach, doesn't specify if it's a 2017 or 2018.

Eibach, YYV and RSR seem to be at least partly about handling/performance based on their description and spring rate (not however the ones from Phaseteck which have substantially lower springs rates and I believe are meant for the SS).

But like I said earlier, a few 2018 owners claimed they did not see much of a drop with the Eibach so that's why I'm looking around, so far the YYZ seem like they will lower the car .5" which is the bare minimum for me if I'm going to purchase springs and have them installed.

RSR just asked if my ZL1 had mag ride control, that's not a confidence inspiring...

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-06-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #34
kropscamaro16

haha gotcha well goodluck on your search i know im happy with my yyz springs i only have only a 1ss with no mrc
Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 PM   #35
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
haha gotcha well goodluck on your search i know im happy with my yyz springs i only have only a 1ss with no mrc
Thanks, just talked to John from Powel Racing re the YYZ springs, I can see why you like your springs, he's put a lot of work into this and is building a coil over kit as well!

He says;

"I didn’t test with a view to making lowering springs as such but to make s better overall spring. Costs way more money to make rising rate springs than OEM springs which is why GM don’t go that route. BITD Opel actual made tapered spring wire rising rate springs for a car I can’t remember which one but the bean counters killed it off quickly.
Because you can engineer a spring that provides good ride and encourages the car to transfer weight to turn in well initially and at the rear transfer weight to put power form. Then as the load increases the spring can “ resist” the transfer by increasing load rate and this the tire works better. At the end of the day it boils down to good ride and good handling. With the ZL1 rates they are uncompromisingly high so ride comfort is gone. Track handling is there but the tires grip will degrade faster. However springs are only part of the story. We need shocks that can control the springs even “punish” the spring to make it do what we want for ultimate control and tire performance. Most folks just care about lower the car and put in funky led lights and tinted glass with a spoiler here and there lol The YYZ spring is more than a lowering spring. But the shocks will complete the story. I just have to find a way to manufacture them at a price people can justify. Cheers "

Also RSR got back to me and said their springs are for non MRC Camaro's only, so that seems to boil it down to Eibach and your fav's YYZ.
I believe they both having rising spring rates

Eibach clearly show on there website that their lowering spring lower a ZL1 by .4" front and rear while it lowers an SS1LE by .7" front and rear but they are only progressive rate in the rear springs.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-07-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #36
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks, just talked to John from Powel Racing re the YYZ springs, I can see why you like your springs, he's put a lot of work into this and is building a coil over kit as well!

He says;

"I didn’t test with a view to making lowering springs as such but to make s better overall spring. Costs way more money to make rising rate springs than OEM springs which is why GM don’t go that route. BITD Opel actual made tapered spring wire rising rate springs for a car I can’t remember which one but the bean counters killed it off quickly.
Because you can engineer a spring that provides good ride and encourages the car to transfer weight to turn in well initially and at the rear transfer weight to put power form. Then as the load increases the spring can “ resist” the transfer by increasing load rate and this the tire works better. At the end of the day it boils down to good ride and good handling. With the ZL1 rates they are uncompromisingly high so ride comfort is gone. Track handling is there but the tires grip will degrade faster. However springs are only part of the story. We need shocks that can control the springs even “punish” the spring to make it do what we want for ultimate control and tire performance. Most folks just care about lower the car and put in funky led lights and tinted glass with a spoiler here and there lol The YYZ spring is more than a lowering spring. But the shocks will complete the story. I just have to find a way to manufacture them at a price people can justify. Cheers "

Also RSR got back to me and said their springs are for non MRC Camaro's only, so that seems to boil it down to Eibach and your fav's YYZ.

Eibach clearly show on there website that their lowering spring lower a ZL1 by .4" front and rear while it lowers an SS1LE by .7" front and rear but they are only progressive rate in the rear springs.
Something to note is, while the SS and ZL1 share same part# (eibach)... the 1LE have a separate part# so something is definitely different on those.

I just don't know what
Old 02-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #37
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
Something to note is, while the SS and ZL1 share same part# (eibach)... the 1LE have a separate part# so something is definitely different on those.

I just don't know what
The Eibach SS 1LE lowering springs are the same as their V6/I4 ones, they just don’t include bumpstops.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #38
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post

He says;

yes and that is why i trust john i actaully helped him test out the yyz springs and had the first set ever made and now the production parts

also had a bunch of his parts on my old car a cobalt ss turbo including springs, swaybar, harness bar, tow hook and control arm bushings
Old 02-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #39
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
The Eibach SS 1LE lowering springs are the same as their V6/I4 ones, they just don’t include bumpstops.
I just looked them up they also have different part number, you have any material to back that up? wouldn't make sense if the SS1LE has beefier suspension than the SS and V6. Why would they included something for a lighter car/engine.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #40
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
I just looked them up they also have different part number, you have any material to back that up? wouldn't make sense if the SS1LE has beefier suspension than the SS and V6. Why would they included something for a lighter car/engine.
The kit part number is different because the 1LE kit doesn’t include bump stops. The part numbers of the springs are the same.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf d3668.pdf (75.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: pdf 288.pdf (96.3 KB, 58 views)
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #41
GunMetalGrey

Quote:

I just don't know what
Interesting, I guess that's why they lower the SS so much more than the ZL1... when I checked the spring rates on Wildhammer's website, they were about 5% to 10% stiffer than the ZL1 stock springs
Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 AM   #42
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
yes and that is why i trust john i actaully helped him test out the yyz springs and had the first set ever made and now the production parts

also had a bunch of his parts on my old car a cobalt ss turbo including springs, swaybar, harness bar, tow hook and control arm bushings
That's cool! He was super helpfull and emailed me back very quickly and often.

When I get springs next year they will be these, and if they have a Bilstein coilover package I met get those instead!

Thanks for pointing me in this direction