Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I would guess that during the crash into the ditch you were lifted out of your seat with enough force that the sensor in the seat could not detect your weight and turned off your airbag. Either you were not back onto the seat long enough to reactivate it or you had the head on part of your collision while still off the seat. Just my best guess I know that most or all systems use a pressure sensor in the passenger seat to turn the air bag on and off (best guess is for insurance savings in cases with no passenger 1000$ air bag going off is a big waste of their $$$$).
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #16
Libertypilot

Drives: 2013 Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by baLListica45 View Post
Thank ya, I'm aware and hind-sight is 20/20. However, with everything that happened, I have nothing to hide or try to pull one over on the insurance company = fraud. Not about that. =/ Just trying to see where others have had the same issue clutch/brakes/ possibly with airbag.. Airbags are so advanced now it's unsure as to whether it should have deployed or not. GM will be out within a week to do an investigation.
Again, I think the passenger side airbag should have deployed seeing how hard the front bumper was hit. Maybe something like what's posted below happened but then if it did it throws into question all vehicles with pressure sensitive airbag deployment technology. If you're not in the seat during the accident for that split second you need to be, that technology is useless.

Please keep us posted with what GM has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
I would guess that during the crash into the ditch you were lifted out of your seat with enough force that the sensor in the seat could not detect your weight and turned off your airbag. Either you were not back onto the seat long enough to reactivate it or you had the head on part of your collision while still off the seat. Just my best guess I know that most or all systems use a pressure sensor in the passenger seat to turn the air bag on and off (best guess is for insurance savings in cases with no passenger 1000$ air bag going off is a big waste of their $$$$).
Libertypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #17
baLListica45

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via Skype™ to baLListica45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertypilot View Post
Again, I think the passenger side airbag should have deployed seeing how hard the front bumper was hit. Maybe something like what's posted below happened but then if it did it throws into question all vehicles with pressure sensitive airbag deployment technology. If you're not in the seat during the accident for that split second you need to be, that technology is useless.

Please keep us posted with what GM has to say.
without a doubt i was seated... as the car hit the ditch first and the slid a considerable amount of distance before the second impact =/
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #18
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Also clutch issues with the 1le track guys , to floor /half position just hope you can get to the bottom of this and glad your both alright!

ps what type of coke is that green bottle?
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #19
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Which key set do you have? The standard key or switch blade? The reason I ask is it may be possible during the sliding and bumping around to have bumped the switchblade key and turn the vehicle off. That would explain the brakes not working and the air bag not deploying properly possibly.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #20
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Glad you and your husband are OK. As an owner of a 14 1LE that has had the 2nd gear grind and working to prevent any clutch issues, this thread is interesting. Concerning the loss of clutch pedal return and soft brakes, can you get a picture of the brake/clutch reservoir? Is it still intact?

Thank You
Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #21
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
x2 on the soft clutch issue, GM has told me it's my problem, looks like it will soon be their problem though.............................
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #22
backeddy
Banned

anyone want to bet that GM takes care of this and in turn makes them sign a Non Disclosure......Any takers?
Old 01-30-2015, 01:10 AM   #23
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
ouch glad you're not hurt or worse, I think the airbags definitely should have gone off on the passenger side no excuse why they shouldn't have as long as the weight on the seat isn't an issue... not sure what weight is required.

I have to agree about not downshifting to third though you may not want to hear it, it's still helpful in case you are (but hopefully aren't) in another similar situation
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #24
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
Never ever do this when going into a skid or while losing traction. Push in the clutch and try to regain control through steering and braking (yes both feet will be in use).

Obvious driver error...good luck.
I cringed when I read "downshifted into 3rd" and "pulled the parking brake!"

I'm interested in your clutch issue. I didn't know that clutches were sticking in 2014s. What kind of mileage do you have on the car? How do you drive it? (I only ask so I know if I need to be on the lookout for this myself.)

Hope you are both okay and you make it through dealing with your insurance company so you can get into a new 2015 Camaro. Good luck!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #25
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I wonder if downshifting to third caused the throw out bearing to pop out causing the clutch to stick to the floor?
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #26
Johnny Mac

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Glad everyone was okay.
Johnny Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #27
backeddy
Banned

Quote:
. I didn't know that clutches were sticking in 2014s. What kind of mileage do you have on the car? How do you drive it? (I only ask so I know if I need to be on the lookout for this myself.)
Where have you been??? Just look at my threads, conerspeed etc. This IS an issue in the 14's. In fact, I warned GMCS of this very thing(this accident type) happening, just to be dismissed as "abusing" my car. I'll bet they are going to take care of this one and have them sign an NDA, this thread will disappear into the bowls of the internet. WATCH.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #28
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Where have you been??? Just look at my threads, conerspeed etc. This IS an issue in the 14's. In fact, I warned GMCS of this very thing(this accident type) happening, just to be dismissed as "abusing" my car. I'll bet they are going to take care of this one and have them sign an NDA, this thread will disappear into the bowls of the internet. WATCH.
1. you should probably calm down just a tad bit, you're way too excited for your keyboard...

2. I rarely read this sub forum. So I've only seen a few people discussing this issue, and they all had 2010-2012s.

3. I'm not sure if you think I know you or think that I should be reading your threads. I don't. And I don't.

4. Bowls and bowels are two different things.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote