Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #29
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I would seriously consider getting a lawyer you need to be guided through the process with the dealership and GM especially with the problems you noted sticking clutch and failure of airbag to deploy.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #30
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Are you light enough you don't trip the weight sensor in the passenger seat? That happens to a lot of petite women.
you lawyer people need to chill out. My wife is 28 years old and she does not weight enough to activate the passenger side airbag in my camaro. Judging by the avatar picture of the OP that could very well be the case! If that is true, the car did what it was supposed to!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #31
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
I'm glad that both of you walked away from the crash. At the end of the day, that is the biggest blessing you have from this bad situation.

I was in a highway speed head on with a pack of deer in my Gen 5 Camaro. The guy who just explained how the sensors work is spot on. Given the focal point of the energy and the physics at the moment of impact, the decision to deploy airbags is made. It is possible that you were not displacing enough weight on the passenger seat when you came up and out of that ditch and hit a pole. Either way, the insurance company will get a hold of the specific data needed to determine what happened. I can assure you that paying out your claim on such a high dollar item will be examined thoroughly.

One more thing. You admitted fault on a public forum and you, in some respects, are blaming a car with a 5 star crash rating. This thread was an exceptionally bad idea on your part.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #32
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
What a awful wreck. I'm glad you guys are ok. I would say that whomever was sitting in the passenger side did not weigh enough to trip the sensor. With that being said, my 110 pound german shepherd sets it off.

You guys are very lucky..., It would have scared me to death and the faulty clutch and brakes would cause me to question everything.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #33
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
No GM rep commented on this yet?
My clutch stuck to the floor at low speeds and low rpm too. Turns out it was the plastic sleeve that the throw out bearing rides on. The picture I posted shows the plastic sleeve and bad bearing.
Attached Images

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #34
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Thankfully, you guys are both okay. The insurance will cover the car and you can get another one. We all make mistakes.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #35
baLListica45

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via Skype™ to baLListica45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
You kind of should have waited before posting this thread. Just my opinion.
Yeah you're probably right there, being that i used to work for lawyers - i should have known better.

As for the clutch, yes this is also a known issue with many of the Gen 5 Camaros. This is not the first time it has happened to me, it has happened on several occasions and i have mentioned it to my dealer. My husband (twoblindsheep) had the same problems with his in his 2011 2SS/RS and got the kit to fix the issue.

As for traction loss - the road was WET and it was raining. We had no business being out there, but we were - it happened - lesson learned and my poor husband is beside himself with guilt and remorse.. No need to make him feel any worse. We walked away, very grateful for that. I ask to please not make comments in regards to what we should have done or not done, just suggestions as to what we should do about the clutch/brakes and airbag as we were unsure about how the sensor worked being that it's an advanced air bag system i wanted a little more information as to what others thought since there has been issues with the sensors in the seat.

I was the occupant in the passenger side. I am 5'4 and 122lbs... it should've recognized an occupant. There are many other adults the same size and smaller that ride in vehicles - this should be taken account for (and i'm sure it is) by automotive manufacturers. That being said it would be ridiculous if it didn't sense an occupant. =/ Sigh, will know more today on what will be done. it's quite exhausting and we're still sore and tired.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #36
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Not getting into any technical stuff but this thread caught my eye. Someone commented on the weight and activation of the passenger side airbag. I know for a fact that when my wife sits in the passenger side of our G8 GT the bag doesn't come on. In my Camaro I'm not sure. My wife is right around 100lbs.

Glad you two are okay...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #37
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
It senses her presence but doesn't activate the airbag. There is some scientific/engineering reason about an airbag deploying on a smaller person.

Not to be insulting with the comparison but it's the same reasoning with children having to stay in the backseat until a certain age and height/weight.

Believe me I'm not defending anyone or thing just going to follow because I've wondered about the G8 GT.

Once again glad you are okay, Ibuprofen will be your friend for a while. It helps with the inflammation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #38
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Glad your ok and no one else was involved too.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #39
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Lawyers? It's not GMs fault he was driving too fast for conditions. That pole didn't run out in front of you.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #40
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
That's a real bummer, and I'm glad that you both came out of it as well as it seems you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baLListica45 View Post
the brakes went soft
I'd also want to have that part of it explained to my complete satisfaction. I have a suspicion here, but I don't want to taint any investigation by mentioning what I think it might be. If anybody thinks they know what I might be thinking of, please do not mention it.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #41
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The one concern I have is if the clutch stuck to the floor there is no engine braking available which makes the car different to control and rely totally on the brakes. This is an unsafe condition in my mind and could have contributed to the outcome.....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #42
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
I'm interested to see what the data recorder saved.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote