The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #15
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Well, in general, the segment is in decline but everyone else did better than the Camaro. It's been rehashed many times here. Theories abound. I have felt similar regarding the manual transmission. Is it dying because we're not buying them or because they're not offered or advanced? I had a manual transmission for example in my last Colorado on the upgraded engine. In the 2nd gen, they only offered a MT on the anemic 4 cyl WT so I bought an automatic V6. You see where i'm going with this. Is it my fault the MT is almost gone?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:18 AM   #16
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
The interior looks like a retro rehash with flat screen displays stuck on top.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:25 AM   #17
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
be a very sad day for me if and when they no longer make our amazing cars.
people are stupid not buying them.
i'll switch to a c7 vette if i have to.. no way on earth i'll ever own another mustang
Might as well start the funeral music now for the Camaro we probably got a year left. I wouldn't call people stupid the other two brands cars are just much easier to live with as daily drivers. That with a lack of representation online and on TV this car was doomed from the get go. GM's "quality" or lack of also didn't do them any favors(A8, lifters, oil pumps etc).
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #18
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
ehhhhhhhhh looks decent in some pictures, odd in others. Probably one of those that needs to be seen in person. But Glad to see it lives on with a V8 and manual

did see somewhere the manual is only available with the 5.0
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #19
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Well, in general, the segment is in decline but everyone else did better than the Camaro. It's been rehashed many times here. Theories abound. I have felt similar regarding the manual transmission. Is it dying because we're not buying them or because they're not offered or advanced? I had a manual transmission for example in my last Colorado on the upgraded engine. In the 2nd gen, they only offered a MT on the anemic 4 cyl WT so I bought an automatic V6. You see where i'm going with this. Is it my fault the MT is almost gone?

It's a combination of both, a slow spiral of death.

Take sedans. In the 90s and 2000s if you needed a fuel efficient family hauler, you bought a midsize or full size sedan. When crossovers started becoming more popular, people realized they could have a more comfortable, practical car with only a slight FE hit compared to their old sedan.

As people bought more and more crossovers, manufacturers saw more incentive to offer more crossovers and pour engineering dollars into those programs instead of sedans where sales were stagnant or decreasing. This led to more people buying crossovers, fewer people buying sedans, therefore more crossovers developed and built, fewer sedans developed and built, and the spiral continues to the present day when the only Chevrolet sedan available for the US market is Malibu.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Hrrmmm..

I think the last gen actually looks better, although I guess I could get on board with saying this new one looks a bit more modern?

Interior is nice...an improvement, although the wall of screens looks a bit awkward.

In the end....at least the Mustang is still moving ahead, offering glorious V8 noises and a manual transmission in a world where these things are going away. With that in mind, I tip my hat to the Mustang.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:19 AM   #21
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I just watched Doug DeMuro's video on this. A few angles of the s650, I can't help but think how similar this looks like 5th gen camaro. Im most interested in knowing how much the thing weights because it looks bigger overall than the s550. 480hp but whats the weight gain? Will this be another S197 to S550 where the power is bumped but so is the weight?

Coolest thing I saw was the retro gauge cluster from the fox body that actually glows green at night. If I owned the s650, 100% would drive with that. I can see that the infotainment will look dated very quickly since it already looks dated. Something about it for me it just looks like its super old tech and graphics slapped into the new car.

Ford making a gas powered, manual muscle car when nobody else will be....... kudos. Great move from Ford.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #22
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Congrats to Mustang fans. I'm glad they're making this commitment to a new generation of V8 manual muscle cars. If a Camaro is no longer being produced when my kids inherit my 5th Gen I might look at it. Something I never thought I'd say.

Unfortunately you still need to buy the higher performance V8 to get the Tremec.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:03 AM   #23
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Yeah that they are losing 20,000 sales per year.

GM didn't kill the Camaro....people not buying it did
They most definitely did with a butt ugly refresh. Dodge is killing them in the refresh game with an ancient Challenger.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #24
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
The middle one looks like a Charger

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #25
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's a combination of both, a slow spiral of death.

Take sedans. In the 90s and 2000s if you needed a fuel efficient family hauler, you bought a midsize or full size sedan. When crossovers started becoming more popular, people realized they could have a more comfortable, practical car with only a slight FE hit compared to their old sedan.

As people bought more and more crossovers, manufacturers saw more incentive to offer more crossovers and pour engineering dollars into those programs instead of sedans where sales were stagnant or decreasing. This led to more people buying crossovers, fewer people buying sedans, therefore more crossovers developed and built, fewer sedans developed and built, and the spiral continues to the present day when the only Chevrolet sedan available for the US market is Malibu.
Where's the crossover engineering dollars? They're just mid and large front-driver sedans with a new hatch body, big wheels, and a pto rear axle. It's not relatable to pony/muscle segments or stick shifts being around.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #26
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
"The fourth generation of the Coyote engine adds dual throttle bodies fed by dual air intakes, a setup that Ford says provides better airflow and helps increase horsepower."

So it will cost a $1000 for a CAI now

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:55 PM   #27
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Nah, just supercharge it.
Even better slap a set of twins on it and let it really eat.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:05 PM   #28
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Where's the crossover engineering dollars? They're just mid and large front-driver sedans with a new hatch body, big wheels, and a pto rear axle. It's not relatable to pony/muscle segments or stick shifts being around.