The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #141
ZR1-OK

Drives: 22 ZL1 23 1SS Redline
Most of those who served in Vietnam were volunteers and not drafted.
ZR1-OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:16 PM   #142
1ceman

Drives: 2023 LT1 Manual
I was playing with the My Chevrolet App and found this tracking nonsense. I've been babying my car, not tailgating or anything, but it's still giving me "hard accel" and hard braking. It's even telling me I should do a better job planning my routes as if it knows my daily schedule. I canceled it and called OnStar to tell them to remove it. I'll just take the diagnostic report they send out once a month to email - and the car comes with Roadside for 60K miles. Thanks for the thread.
10/31/22 - General Mgr gives me order # & says I'm #2 for allocation
12/5/22 - Told by friend different dealer getting LT1 by 12/18
12/9/22 - Picked up that LT1
1ceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:28 PM   #143
Soon2be 21SS

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDave View Post
I suggest everyone download the Chevy App and disable this yourself. (As I just did)

I wouldn't trust some GM employee's word that this was done.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)Download Chevrolet App (I did this on iPhone)

2)Tap on "More" (Lower right corner)

3) Tap on "Chevrolet Smart Driver"

4) Tap "Unenroll"

5) Give "Reason For Cancelling" (G. M forces you to give a reason, I tapped "Other")

6) You will get the "We will miss you"....You are now unenrolled.

Thanks very much for the information. I am now unenrolled. Big tech is at it again. Not no more
Old 01-06-2023, 07:31 AM   #144
Socal Shock

Drives: 2020 SS
I'm curious as to how this plays out with purchasing a used OnStar equipped vehicle.
I purchased a low mileage Camaro still within the factory warrantee, but not from a Chevrolet dealer. Signed absolutely nothing regarding anything related to OnStar, have never activated anything and do not have any Chevrolet app.

Would any data, diagnostic or otherwise still be monitored because the vehicle is under warrantee?

Just looking at the front page of the myChevrolet app is spooky enough:

"This app may share these data types with third parties. Personal info, Photos and videos and 2 others"
"Data can't be deleted."

Hmmm, no thanks.
Socal Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:06 AM   #145
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Shock View Post
I'm curious as to how this plays out with purchasing a used OnStar equipped vehicle.
I purchased a low mileage Camaro still within the factory warrantee, but not from a Chevrolet dealer. Signed absolutely nothing regarding anything related to OnStar, have never activated anything and do not have any Chevrolet app.

Would any data, diagnostic or otherwise still be monitored because the vehicle is under warrantee?

Just looking at the front page of the myChevrolet app is spooky enough:

"This app may share these data types with third parties. Personal info, Photos and videos and 2 others"
"Data can't be deleted."

Hmmm, no thanks.
I could be wrong however my understanding is an Onstar "capable" (equipped) vehicle would still need the Onstar service activated along with enrollment in Chevrolet Smart Driver in order to harvest driving data and report to third parties.

On new vehicles, Onstar is activated for the trial period along with a subsequent enrollment/activation of CSD by the dealer. That was my experience at least.

No active Onstar service and thus no active CSD, you should be good (in normal circumstances) regardless of the equipment being in the car.
Attached Images

Current mileage: 310
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:06 PM   #146
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
took the onstar transceiver radio out within the first month of owning the car in 2016.

onstar isn't necessary if you have a cell phone. get rid of it.

can't steal data from my car if the car can't communicate out.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:26 PM   #147
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
took the onstar transceiver radio out within the first month of owning the car in 2016.

onstar isn't necessary if you have a cell phone. get rid of it.

can't steal data from my car if the car can't communicate out.
How hard is it to do that?
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:05 PM   #148
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyPaceCar View Post
I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I tried searching the forum, but the search feature was not functioning. If it has been discussed, please provide links to the discussion pages.

Just received my insurance renewal notices for my 2021 1SS. It showed a 25% premium increase, and mentioned that premiums are based on a number of factors, including personal data in a report provided to the insurance company by a company called LexisNexis. It also mentioned that you can request a copy of this report from LexisNexis, which I did, and they mailed me a letter containing a website and password to be used in viewing , and/or downloading/printing the 150+ page report. It contains information such as credit history, residence addresses, etc.

I was quite surprised to find that it also contained data provided by General Motors Holding in Detroit pertaining to my driving practices. There were records of 175 trips which included data categories for each trip :
Start Date, Start Time, End Date, End Time, Acceleration Events, Hard Brake Events, High Speed Events, Distance, and VIN. I was aware that various insurance companies offer incentives if you install a monitoring device which captures this data, but had no idea that GM was collecting this data, and providing to third parties. I called my insurance agent to ask if this data may have been a factor in the 25% increase in my premium; he said that the insurance company does not reveal to him how much each of the 40 or so factors influences the premiums, and also that he was totally unaware that GM was providing this data.

I did not extend the use of OnStar or the My Chevy app once the free introductory periods expired, but from what I’ve read, GM still collects this information and provides it, and the ability to collect it is somehow tied to the vehicle’s infotainment and/or Bluetooth features. I tried googling to see if there are ways to disable this, and was unable to come across any information that might be helpful.

Does anybody have any comments on this issue ? Does anybody know how to prevent GM from gathering this data (short of removing the infotainment and Bluetooth features from the vehicle). ?

Thanks
Yes , this seems to be world wide with the insurance companies !!
Same here with a 20% increase and all the bullshit they fed me!!
I went to another two companies, increased the value of my SS by 15k!!! (Camaro values up) and got a deal 20% less than my old insurance company !! so win win for me for the next 12 months...... See what happens in December !!!
The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:35 AM   #149
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I didn't even know I had this on since 2018. Wow.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:57 AM   #150
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
I opted out of on star at delivery. (signed the opt out doc)
Does that mean I'm automatically not enrolled in smart driver?
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 11:08 AM   #151
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I know that Camaro5 and Camaro6 share a couple of the sub-forums, which can sometimes be confusing.

I am reading this thread on Camaro5. For the Gen5’s, I wanted to share that when I checked in the MyChevrolet app for my 2014, I got a message that my Onstar uses (or used) the 2G cellular network which was decommissioned in Dec. of 2022. So if you have a Gen5, it is no longer able to connect to Onstar to send any data.

Last edited by KenKat; 07-08-2023 at 10:48 AM.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:40 PM   #152
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
bumping this thread because it's good knowledge to share. apparently my ZL1 had quite a few hard acceleration and braking events since I picked it up ... I wonder why

In searching how to unenroll (mentioned in this thread) I also came across a GM page to disable data collecting, and delete your personal data. It's unclear to me if this is tied to the Smart Driver data or not, but I also went ahead and disabled and then deleted my personal data on this page in addition to unenrolling in smart driver:

https://www.gm.com/consumer-privacy
Old 07-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #153
Blue 13
3P171 USAF Combat Arms

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
I just went and unenrolled in smart driver in the my gmc ap. I tried canceling on star after I picked up my new truck and they refused to do so until the trial period ends.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:49 PM   #154
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
When they telecommunications company's did away with 3G, my OnStar quit working. So no telephone calls, nothing. So there can't be any reporting to gm now!

Last edited by 2013ZL1FUN; 07-08-2023 at 03:46 PM. Reason: update
2013ZL1FUN is offline   Reply With Quote