The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-15-2022, 06:38 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Surprising my brother for Christmas

My 48 year old brother is NOT a car guy. He does do the regular maintenance stuff (oil changes, well - he has me take it in for them), but otherwise, he typically waits until something breaks, then calls me. He currently owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, but to him, a car is a point A to point B device and nothing more.

He is very frugal and doesn't like to spend money (particularly on himself), if he is not totally convinced it is absolutely necessary. But he has no issues in helping out family at all. He enjoys GIVING to others at Christmas, but dislikes others giving to him. So for the last several year, I have been forced to just get him "gag" gifts for Christmas, mainly Star Wars, or Star Trek novelties. He NEVER says that he likes, or needs anything, so others won't get it for him, if he wants/needs something, he will just buy it himself (IF he really thinks he needs it).

This year was different though. Knowing I am a detailer, he commented to me about how his headlights had become really dim, and he was having a difficult time seeing while driving to/from work in the dark. I know that in his mind, he was only thinking that I could just polish out his headlights so they work better.

Unfortunately, right after he asked me this, my job went from merely 'Toxic,' to "Lethal." And I was non-functional for several months, until my Dr TOLD me I was DONE working and to file for a disability retirement (which I did do, and am just waiting for it to be approved). Long (unrelated) story short, I have been off work since September 30th.

When I was finally up to it, I did research how to restore faded/oxidized headlights. I know the process, but I've never actually done it. The thing that worried me the most, was that in order to restore the lights, I would have to wet sand off all the oxidation, which would also remove any remainders of the UV protective layer that plastic headlights have on them, and they would only go bad again fairly quickly. There is a way to "re-protect" them after sanding them down and polishing them out, but the products are relatively expensive and difficult to get 'perfect.' I have severe OCD and anything less than perfect wouldn't work for me.

So I turned my focus from 'restore,' to 'replace.' Turns out the headlight assemblies on his truck, were used on several model years and new ones are pretty cheap and plentiful. So I called the shop that correctly diagnosed my Camaro's CEL and asked for a quote for new lights and installation. His price was MORE than reasonable for all 4 headlight components (2 high/low beam assemblies and 2 DRL/turn signal assemblies), they also include new factory bulbs for all the assemblies (I wanted to replace all the bulbs anyway since bulbs also dim over time and his are at least 7 years old).

The install is set for tomorrow at 9 AM. In order to have the truck available to have the work done, I told my brother that I was going Christmas shopping and I was getting a few things that won't fit in my wife's Escape, so I needed his truck - EVERY word being the complete truth, but not really telling him anything at all.

I have not been this excited over Christmas in a LONG time, and have been bursting at the seams in anticipation. After it's done, I'm NOT going to tell him. My mom asked if I was just going to see if he notices on his own. I just grinned and told her "Yep."

Knowing too, how he HATES throwing things away (wasting stuff), the shop is going to box up the old headlights, so I can wrap them up and give them to him as a 'gift' on Christmas.

Here are the "Before" pictures of the headlights, the "Afters" will be posted tomorrow afternoon/evening.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The lights are a piece of cake to swap out on the GM trucks, unfortunately the aftermarket units I have used don't hold up nearly as well as OEM.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Will be really nice when it's done. Replacing those old lights will be much safer at night, but also will make the truck look really nice in the front again.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
The lights are a piece of cake to swap out on the GM trucks, unfortunately the aftermarket units I have used don't hold up nearly as well as OEM.
The stock headlights are over 16 years old and have NEVER had any kind of maintenance to prevent or slow down oxidation. I'm almost positive the shop ordered them through GM and not just a generic aftermarket source. Either way, at least I'll be able to 'keep up' with them and maintain them properly by using a good cleaner wax and sealant on them to help slow/prevent them from going bad again. At least as long as he owns the truck.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Will be really nice when it's done. Replacing those old lights will be much safer at night, but also will make the truck look really nice in the front again.
For a 16 year old, NEGLECTED truck, with a BAD repaint on the hood & roof (look close at the one 'before' picture), the truck really isn't in bad shape.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #6
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
This is a really neat story, thanks for posting. Keep us updated.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
This is a really neat story, thanks for posting. Keep us updated.
The work is complete and the truck has been delivered back to my brother, with him none the wiser. Of course, with the way is is about people giving him gifts, I went ahead and wrote an "apology" note (of course blaming him for bringing it to my attention, and activating my OCD), then left it under his car keys.

I just got off the phone with him and he thanked me for the lights ... said he read the note and went out to turn them on. He said he was amazed at how bright they were - I don't think he realized just how bad they had actually become. I told him Merry Christmas and we hung up.

Anyway, here are the "After" pics:
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #8
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Cool gift idea, especially for the hard to buy for!