The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Super Cruise

Evaluating an Escalade with Super Cruise.

As much as we all have loathed the coming of robot cars, I have to say when just piling miles on the highway having the car do a chunk of the work is actually pretty nice.

Still have to keep your eyes mostly forward and on occasion it will shut off and indicate “no road data” when you are on a known measured highway. But otherwise for a 1300 mile trip, I’m a fan.

This 2nd generation allows automatic lane changes by tapping the turn signal. Maybe this will help people learn to use that stalk lol. Car checks for gap and approaching speeds and will change lanes for you.

My Buick has LDA, which will keep your car from crossing a line by steering it away and if you have your hands off the wheel the ACC will warn you to put your hands on the wheel. Super Cruise is that on Steroids.

Might be the first step to the dark side, but if you get a chance, try it out and see what you think.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #2
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
GM and Cruize automation do a pretty good job.

In my opinion (working in the industry), Waymo is #1, GM close behind, then others, then Tesla.

Take that as just my opinion. As far as I know GM hasn't killed any pedestrians/bicyclists/drivers yet. Tesla leads in the number of people killed while using autonomous tech by far.

When I get an uber to go to the bar, and take me home at the end of the night, robo-taxi all the way.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
Why are you on a Camaro forum?

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post

I mean he's only one of the guys who helped engineer the 5th gen.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Name:  C5E3D80D-6F00-4453-8CCC-D59B5B8A67D5.png
Views: 252
Size:  126.7 KB
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
There are a lot of posts on this site that are not Camaro related. So What? Maybe that's because there are more vehicles and auto info than Camaro. Look where the thread was posted - "General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion". Nothing wrong with that. Calm down and get a life.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:38 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Ha, lol. This where I come for automotive discussions as well as Camaro. I guess I’ve just not found a better place to hang out and discuss Camaros AND cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Overstated. I was there trying to help figure what to do when they had to pull it back to the US from Holden. Another interesting story. Holden did much of the work but it needed a bit of cleaning up.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Oh and as a Camaro fan the post was intended to foster some discussion on the safety features the Camaro doesn’t have as well as Super Cruise in a future Camaro which may not happen unless it’s an EV.

So as a Camaro fan your response was simply to ask why I’m here rather than participate.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #9
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Evaluating an Escalade with Super Cruise.

As much as we all have loathed the coming of robot cars, I have to say when just piling miles on the highway having the car do a chunk of the work is actually pretty nice.

Still have to keep your eyes mostly forward and on occasion it will shut off and indicate “no road data” when you are on a known measured highway. But otherwise for a 1300 mile trip, I’m a fan.

This 2nd generation allows automatic lane changes by tapping the turn signal. Maybe this will help people learn to use that stalk lol. Car checks for gap and approaching speeds and will change lanes for you.

My Buick has LDA, which will keep your car from crossing a line by steering it away and if you have your hands off the wheel the ACC will warn you to put your hands on the wheel. Super Cruise is that on Steroids.

Might be the first step to the dark side, but if you get a chance, try it out and see what you think.

Super Cruise seems like a pretty cool system. At least its forces you to pay attention.

Hopefully this tech can start moving down below 80k market vehicles. The cheapest car its in now is a maxed out high country silverado at 77k.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:40 AM   #10
Turkish01

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
Super Cruise seems like a pretty cool system. At least its forces you to pay attention.

Hopefully this tech can start moving down below 80k market vehicles. The cheapest car its in now is a maxed out high country silverado at 77k.
I believe you can get it in a bolt also
Turkish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM   #11
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post

It should pretty quickly. Tech in it isn't costly, only R&D is. It's not like battery cost - big chunk of chemicals in metal housing.

But also, I would cheer for EV to get better, instead of self driving stuff.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:47 AM   #12
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Oh and as a Camaro fan the post was intended to foster some discussion on the safety features the Camaro doesn’t have as well as Super Cruise in a future Camaro which may not happen unless it’s an EV.

So as a Camaro fan your response was simply to ask why I’m here rather than participate.
I was rather unthrilled that you effectively had to do a 2SS or a 3LT to get any of the safety features. GM's packaging / bundling of options is beyond absurd. I would've had to spend an extra 10-15k to get the safety features you can get on most other manufacturers base models.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:04 AM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
So taking your hands off the wheel while the car is moving is now considered a safety feature?

I am at a loss to remember when the car buying public cried out for this feature. I'm sure the casualties caused by this boondoggle will disagree with the safety aspect.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:19 AM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
I was rather unthrilled that you effectively had to do a 2SS or a 3LT to get any of the safety features. GM's packaging / bundling of options is beyond absurd. I would've had to spend an extra 10-15k to get the safety features you can get on most other manufacturers base models.
This something GM has not been very good at.

Other companies have made som3 of the collision mitigation technology available and in some cases standard at a much lower price point.