Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
wheelman89

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
ECS Kit for 6th gen current feedback, reviews, videos, dyno sheets

I've read through every forum thread I can find on the subject and was looking for more data specifically from the guys running an ECS kit on a 6th gen. I'm looking to put one on my relatively stock SS and am interested in reading more reviews of the kit, seeing dyno sheets, youtube videos, any supplemental mods you guys are doing etc. Am planning to run low boost and a conservative tune for the street on mine, do the install myself and have a local shop tune it.

Don't see hardly any youtube videos on builds with ecs on 6th gens, tons on 5th gen though.
wheelman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It's really not a popular choice for the 6th gen. Most who've done a centrifugal style blower have went with Procharger. Not sure why though it doesnt look like a bad kit. Maybe they just don't advertise enough around here to help spread the word.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
wheelman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
It's really not a popular choice for the 6th gen. Most who've done a centrifugal style blower have went with Procharger. Not sure why though it doesnt look like a bad kit. Maybe they just don't advertise enough around here to help spread the word.
That's what I've noticed too. Which is surprising especially now that procharger has raised their prices again. The procharger kit is quite a bit more expensive and I can't really see any reason it's better than the ECS kit. Also wanting to know if the gen 6 kit features the restrictor plates I see used in other cars - the idea of running a bigger blower with the boost restricted seems like a great idea to get more torque down low out of a centri build while still limiting boost on the top end.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman89 View Post
That's what I've noticed too. Which is surprising especially now that procharger has raised their prices again. The procharger kit is quite a bit more expensive and I can't really see any reason it's better than the ECS kit. Also wanting to know if the gen 6 kit features the restrictor plates I see used in other cars - the idea of running a bigger blower with the boost restricted seems like a great idea to get more torque down low out of a centri build while still limiting boost on the top end.
I don't think they use these restrictior plates on the 6th gen kit.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
There was a guy Named "Reckless" that was one of the first guys to go with a ECS system on the 6th gen. Anyway he made 800whp with a Built LT1 and base ECS kit. So it will support more power then the stock pistons will handle. Imo the ECS system is a better buy then a base P1sc system. You get the 1500 head unit which is more comparable to Prochargers D1sc and a larger intercooler. So it produces lower blower temps then Prochargers P1 stuff and cost less money.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:31 PM   #6
Bomicino

Drives: 2020 LT1
I too was coming up empty when looking, aside from Reckless. I ordered 4 weeks ago after a lot of time weighing out the options. Its a great deal, easier install, and several guys on corvetteforum have done 850 plus with the 1500. Sometime between now and spring ill share my experience.
Bomicino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #7
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I had the ECS/Paxton kit on an SS, mine was the base kit ordered for a stock LT1 engine. Must tell you first that the customer service that I got from ECS after I finally received the kit sucked. Said that they would call me back but did not, and ignored email from me too. I was completely on my own after the kit finally showed up, wrong part supplied in the box was something that I had to source on my own. Cautionary tale on their poor customer support aside and just looking at the kit, install is not too difficult, this (and it's parent Vortech) is the only blower system where you don't need to remove the crank bolt. The Novi 1500SL does not make much noise, when you start the car you can hear something is there with an all-stock exhaust, but not much sound. So if you're looking for a loud whine such as a Hellcat, this unit is more of a speak softly and carry a big stick deal.

Sorry no meaningful dyno sheet from mine, check out the one on ECS site, that blue car is owned by a member here. I ran in the high-10s on the dragstrip with the base blower kit (I had added a baro breakout) and no methanol injection in summer heat, in an A8 car with the stock torque converter. Clarification on base kit, when KingLT1 mentions Reckless' car, I believe that he meant it was the base drive system and the base head unit, as that car was indeed pullied faster than the true base system is when it made 800hp with methanol injection on a built motor and long tubes. Base drive system is the jackshaft on stock serpentine system with a separate cog belt going to the blower, and base head unit is a 1500SL. There is now a 10-rib dedicated drive system available from Vortech, and a 2200R head unit (upgrades beyond the base kit).

Fuel system upgrades are a really great idea that you should STRONGLY consider for a supercharger install. Mine with a stock engine, all-stock exhaust, base pullies, and no methanol injection system, was losing high side fuel pressure and the injector pulse width was excessive with the stock LT1 hpfp and injectors. This problem is far more common in my opinion than many people realize. I was datalogging my car, whereas most customers do not, and therefore they would not know whether something was not up to snuff. Hasn't blown up yet is really not the same thing as fuel system working properly.

I would also suggest that you get a baro breakout kit for any of these centrifugal kits, because BARO coming from the MAF (after the compressor) gives bogus data when you read your logs. It's not a power-adder thing like methanol injection or headers, just for good data.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
wheelman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I had the ECS/Paxton kit on an SS, mine was the base kit ordered for a stock LT1 engine. Must tell you first that the customer service that I got from ECS after I finally received the kit sucked. Said that they would call me back but did not, and ignored email from me too. I was completely on my own after the kit finally showed up, wrong part supplied in the box was something that I had to source on my own. Cautionary tale on their poor customer support aside and just looking at the kit, install is not too difficult, this (and it's parent Vortech) is the only blower system where you don't need to remove the crank bolt. The Novi 1500SL does not make much noise, when you start the car you can hear something is there with an all-stock exhaust, but not much sound. So if you're looking for a loud whine such as a Hellcat, this unit is more of a speak softly and carry a big stick deal.

Sorry no meaningful dyno sheet from mine, check out the one on ECS site, that blue car is owned by a member here. I ran in the high-10s on the dragstrip with the base blower kit (I had added a baro breakout) and no methanol injection in summer heat, in an A8 car with the stock torque converter. Clarification on base kit, when KingLT1 mentions Reckless' car, I believe that he meant it was the base drive system and the base head unit, as that car was indeed pullied faster than the true base system is when it made 800hp with methanol injection on a built motor and long tubes. Base drive system is the jackshaft on stock serpentine system with a separate cog belt going to the blower, and base head unit is a 1500SL. There is now a 10-rib dedicated drive system available from Vortech, and a 2200R head unit (upgrades beyond the base kit).

Fuel system upgrades are a really great idea that you should STRONGLY consider for a supercharger install. Mine with a stock engine, all-stock exhaust, base pullies, and no methanol injection system, was losing high side fuel pressure and the injector pulse width was excessive with the stock LT1 hpfp and injectors. This problem is far more common in my opinion than many people realize. I was datalogging my car, whereas most customers do not, and therefore they would not know whether something was not up to snuff. Hasn't blown up yet is really not the same thing as fuel system working properly.

I would also suggest that you get a baro breakout kit for any of these centrifugal kits, because BARO coming from the MAF (after the compressor) gives bogus data when you read your logs. It's not a power-adder thing like methanol injection or headers, just for good data.
Thanks for your feedback, it is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. What was your impression of the kit after it was installed and tuned properly? How was the power delivery? What made you decide to take it off?
Old 10-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post

Correct...it was pullied down. The car overall was highly modified, I was just noting that the supercharger itself is capable.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #10
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman89 View Post
I've read through every forum thread I can find on the subject and was looking for more data specifically from the guys running an ECS kit on a 6th gen. I'm looking to put one on my relatively stock SS and am interested in reading more reviews of the kit, seeing dyno sheets, youtube videos, any supplemental mods you guys are doing etc. Am planning to run low boost and a conservative tune for the street on mine, do the install myself and have a local shop tune it.

Don't see hardly any youtube videos on builds with ecs on 6th gens, tons on 5th gen though.
I don't have an ECS kit, but I have researched it and spoken directly with ECS. I think people don't select this kit because there is only one blower option for it, the novi 1500SL. In contrast, procharger stage 2 kit can run anything from a p1sc all the way up to an f1a-94 and every blower in between, and there are several of them. The ecs kit seems like a good choice for someone staying sbe. Personally, I wouldnt run an ecs kit without methanol. The ecs kits don't make much torque, but with a bit of meth, they make as much torque as the roots type blowers.

I'm trying to piece together an LT4 blower conversion myself, it is significantly less expensive than the ecs kit if you can find a reasonably priced take off blower. I also prefer the instant boost on the roots blower compared to the boost by rpm delivery of a centrifugal. With the amazing porting Kong is providing, the lt4 blowers can make 1000+rwhp with supporting mods. ESC kit is my 2nd choice.

I really wanted a 2650 Edelbrock or Magnuson, but all the vendors have jacked up the prices since right before labor day weekend on those kits to the point where they are out of financial reach. Additionally, the Whipple 3.0 kit supposedly coming out for the camaro has been delayed with no release date.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #11
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I don't have an ECS kit, but I have researched it and spoken directly with ECS. I think people don't select this kit because there is only one blower option for it, the novi 1500SL. In contrast, procharger stage 2 kit can run anything from a p1sc all the way up to an f1a-94 and every blower in between, and there are several of them. The ecs kit seems like a good choice for someone staying sbe. Personally, I wouldnt run an ecs kit without methanol. The ecs kits don't make much torque, but with a bit of meth, they make as much torque as the roots type blowers.

I'm trying to piece together an LT4 blower conversion myself, it is significantly less expensive than the ecs kit if you can find a reasonably priced take off blower. I also prefer the instant boost on the roots blower compared to the boost by rpm delivery of a centrifugal. With the amazing porting Kong is providing, the lt4 blowers can make 1000+rwhp with supporting mods. ESC kit is my 2nd choice.

I really wanted a 2650 Edelbrock or Magnuson, but all the vendors have jacked up the prices since right before labor day weekend on those kits to the point where they are out of financial reach. Additionally, the Whipple 3.0 kit supposedly coming out for the camaro has been delayed with no release date.
They do offer other blowers but don't have them on the site for some reason. I contacted them awhile back (2yrs ago)and they were offering some of the bigger blowers to me since I was no longer stock cubes. Why they don't advertise about blower upgrades I have no answer for that.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
LT1ornothing

Quote:
They do offer other blowers but don't have them on the site for some reason. I contacted them awhile back (2yrs ago)and they were offering some of the bigger blowers to me since I was no longer stock cubes. Why they don't advertise about blower upgrades I have no answer for that.
I do have that answer as I spoke to them directly. The base ecs kit WILL NOT support a blower larger than a novi 1500SL, their words. In order to run a larger blower, you need to step up to their 10 rib kit. The problem is the price jumps from $5,500 to about $10K for a 2200r or ysi. No thanks, might as well grab a procharger F1X competition kit at that point.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #13
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I do have that answer as I spoke to them directly. The base ecs kit WILL NOT support a blower larger than a novi 1500SL, their words. In order to run a larger blower, you need to step up to their 10 rib kit. The problem is the price jumps from $5,500 to about $10K for a 2200r or ysi. No thanks, might as well grab a procharger F1X competition kit at that point.
So basically they're the same price once you move up to the big blowers.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #14
LT1ornothing

Quote:
So basically they're the same price once you move up to the big blowers.
Yes sir.