Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 AM   #1
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
Week 2 with new CAM

So I’ve put almost 2000 miles on it and I love the cam. Buuuut I hate the stall lol. TS recommended the 3000-3200rpm stall. I’m wondering if it would hurt anything to go down to a 2400 stall?

Also, my last dyno run/tune after cam install, wasn’t as impressive as I was expecting. So full bolt-ons, TS stage 3 vvt cam, e85 flex fuel kit and the best pull was 440rwhp. Nearly $10,000 in mods for 125 rwhp from stock? Maybe my expectations were too high.

Tried to upload a vid of a start up. The car sounds wicked now. But it wouldn’t load. 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:26 AM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Did you swap to a 3.91 screw?
That cam is designed for high RPMs.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I assume you have supporting mods beyond just the cam? (Headers, cold air intake, etc.) That being said, 125hp over stock on a cam is some seriously solid gains. You might be able to get higher numbers out of some ported and milled heads, but that’s more $$ I’m sure you don’t want to spend. If you don’t have the supporting headers, etc. that too would yield you more power. As for the converter, I can’t give you advice there, but I know TSP does their homework for what mates up best to their cam. You may get the car pushing through your brakes or bucking at low idle with a smaller stall speed.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
What converter do you have?

What do you hate about it?

I have a yank 2800 stall and it drives like a stock unless you are on it. I am thinking about sending it back to get it stalled to 3600.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Did you swap to a 3.91 screw?
That cam is designed for high RPMs.
That’s next on the list. I’ve heard it’s an amazing addition.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I assume you have supporting mods beyond just the cam? (Headers, cold air intake, etc.) That being said, 125hp over stock on a cam is some seriously solid gains. You might be able to get higher numbers out of some ported and milled heads, but that’s more $$ I’m sure you don’t want to spend. If you don’t have the supporting headers, etc. that too would yield you more power. As for the converter, I can’t give you advice there, but I know TSP does their homework for what mates up best to their cam. You may get the car pushing through your brakes or bucking at low idle with a smaller stall speed.
Yes, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers, cat delete full exhaust all the way back.
The low RPM buck is already there. My buddy has nick named the car “Twitch”.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
So I’ve put almost 2000 miles on it and I love the cam. Buuuut I hate the stall lol. TS recommended the 3000-3200rpm stall. I’m wondering if it would hurt anything to go down to a 2400 stall?

Also, my last dyno run/tune after cam install, wasn’t as impressive as I was expecting. So full bolt-ons, TS stage 3 vvt cam, e85 flex fuel kit and the best pull was 440rwhp. Nearly $10,000 in mods for 125 rwhp from stock? Maybe my expectations were too high.

Tried to upload a vid of a start up. The car sounds wicked now. But it wouldn’t load. **
To be fair you threw a ton of money at it adding the E85 and without boost that will only net you 10-15 hp. That could be why you feel like you put more into it for less return.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
What converter do you have?

What do you hate about it?

I have a yank 2800 stall and it drives like a stock unless you are on it. I am thinking about sending it back to get it stalled to 3600.
I have Circle-D 3000-3200. And it’s nothing like stock. If I use the paddles, I can keep it tame. But The RPMs still never drop below 2000. If I put it in “D” my transmission acts like it doesn’t know what to do. Soon as I pull out it’s trying to get to a higher gear instantly. I dunno it’s wonky. Don’t get me wrong, I see the purpose and why someone would want a high rpm stall, but as of right now I don’t race.

Edit: sorry, didn’t really directly answer your question. What I really don’t like about it is the power isn’t instant for DD until the stall locks in. So just speeding up to pass someone at normal speeds RPMs just jumping all over the place.

Now when I’m out romping around keeping the RPMs about 3500, it’s a jet on wheels. But that’s not 24/7 for me lol.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
To be fair you threw a ton of money at it adding the E85 and without boost that will only net you 10-15 hp. That could be why you feel like you put more into it for less return.

The e85 kit was only a few hundred and nets close to what porting the heads would do on NA for way cheaper. So I don’t feel like that was too bad of a deal. What ran the cost up was doing the AFM/Dod delete and Stall. If it was a manual I would have saved $2000ish just right there. Plus I wouldn’t be losing 20% in the transmission. Even so, I was expecting closer to 460ish. It was like 98 degrees that day and I got my e85 from the “bad” station in town. It was really about e40.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Maybe your tune is off. I'm not cammed yet, but my FBO, 3.91, 3200 stalled L99 is wicked fun and I DD it. It does take a bit more to get it going, but it isn't bad.

I think that flex fuel kit was a waste. Do you have a ported intake manifold? Underdrive pulley?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
The e85 kit was only a few hundred and nets close to what porting the heads would do on NA for way cheaper. So I don’t feel like that was too bad of a deal. What ran the cost up was doing the AFM/Dod delete and Stall. If it was a manual I would have saved $2000ish just right there. Plus I wouldn’t be losing 20% in the transmission. Even so, I was expecting closer to 460ish. It was like 98 degrees that day and I got my e85 from the “bad” station in town. It was really about e40.

Okay so if you didnt upgrade the fuel pump and injectors as you would need to then yes it's only a few hundred. My guess is that if you were running true E85 you have maxed out your fuel system on the dyno.

Also 440 is respectable for an auto car

Last edited by pnwdan; 07-25-2019 at 08:47 AM.
pnwdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #12
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Maybe your tune is off. I'm not cammed yet, but my FBO, 3.91, 3200 stalled L99 is wicked fun and I DD it. It does take a bit more to get it going, but it isn't bad.

I think that flex fuel kit was a waste. Do you have a ported intake manifold? Underdrive pulley?
I’m not saying it’s not fun. Cause it is. And I also DD it, so it’s not impossible to DD. But it’s not ideal (my opinion) because the feel of no power when maintaining speeds in dd life. Again this could all be me just getting used to a stall. But I’ve put a chunk of miles on it in the last 2 weeks. Had to drive it about 3-4 hours to Atlanta and back. So I think I have a feel for it.

And yes, I’ve questioned my tuner because I also think something is off in the tune. The first week I kept getting a CEL flash on when just cruising. He said the car was thinking its detecting a misfire, but blamed it on the cam. He went back and checked plug gap and did something else to it. It’s only happened once since then. So I don’t know. Might bite the bullet and have it returned at a different shop.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #13
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have a 3500 stall and yes its noticeable but still very driveable. It's your tune for the tranny. I drive mine daily and it acts mostly like a stock converter until I nail it. The 6L80 is very finicky for the tune.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #14
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Damn...I wish I was pushing 440hp...but $10k?
Sorry, don’t have anything to add, I’m here learning the platform from our awesome members here.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote