Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
LT4 650

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6
First MODS - New 2018 ZL1 owner

Hey everyone...good to be back in a Bow Tie...especially the new ZL1.

So I recently purchased the following:
2018 ZL1
Manual 6 speed
Navigation
No Carbon Fiber (like how black hood matches the bottom of the car)
Had them install the 1LE dark tailights upon delivery (part of deal)

Picked up from the shop yesterday with **First Mods** as follows:
Front end Xpel clear bra (includes mirrors and headlights)
Tinted windows, Side markers, rear third brake light & rear reflectors
Ceramic Pro entire car (including wheels and calipers)

I have owned some fast cars (see sig) but am very excited about taking this one into retirement with me some day (still quite a few years to go)...it will be a garage queen so that way I can drive it when ever I have the urge

Pictures from the shop:

Name:  LT4_650_1.jpg
Views: 6465
Size:  117.4 KB
Name:  LT4_650_3.jpg
Views: 5274
Size:  178.6 KB

GM previously owned:
2014 SS M6
2014 ZL1 M6
2019 ZL1 M6
2016 Z06 M6
LT4 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
The Roto-fab CAI is a great starting point! Our CAI offers a real increase in horsepower, improved appearance, and a substantially louder supercharger whine during aggressive acceleration! 3rd party dyno testing has shown gains of 25+ RWHP, making the Roto-fab cold air intake system a great bang for your buck!

Please let us know if you have any questions,
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Roto fab intake and Tony Mamo throttle body. Also get to know the car with (driver mod). It can be a handful
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
lightsOUT

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Krypton Green
Car looks great! Personally I like no sunroof, although I know they’re popular.

What’s the story with the plate?
lightsOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
From a dig !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
LT4 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsOUT View Post
Car looks great! Personally I like no sunroof, although I know they’re popular.

What’s the story with the plate?
It is in transition as that came off my GTR I traded in.

I plan to get the following Tag once I get registered. This was the only thing I could come up with...everything else is already taken

Name:  LT4_650.PNG
Views: 4380
Size:  118.6 KB

GM previously owned:
2014 SS M6
2014 ZL1 M6
2019 ZL1 M6
2016 Z06 M6
Old 08-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
LT4 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Roto fab intake and Tony Mamo throttle body. Also get to know the car with (driver mod). It can be a handful
Good input on the driver mod. I have experience both on the track and 1/2 mile racing. I did not list all my cars but have owned a few GTR's, Porsche 911 TT, etc...but keep finding my way back to American Muscle...got to love the sound of that V8 and the whine of the SC

To your point I also love the driving experience as compared to my GTR which was like a video game...point and shoot.

Now my Hellcat was a handful...toeing the throttle at 60 mph you would create a burnout and sometimes sideways...a lot of fun but got tired of being smoked off the light by every car made

GM previously owned:
2014 SS M6
2014 ZL1 M6
2019 ZL1 M6
2016 Z06 M6
Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Congrats on the ZL1! Nice to see another fan of the black insert. I still haven’t warmed up to the look of the exposed carbon fiber even though most people think it looks great.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Beeeeeeeeaaaauuutiful car. Just like mine, nearly identical except my windows aren't tinted yet, rumor has it MI is going to make it legal.

I would look at a Roto-fab intake for sure. Blower whine and noise is louder, and I think I can feel just a bit of an increase in HP. Looks cool too.

If you want louder without running Headers (Which require tuning and may pose inspection problems), then look at a Cat-back. I'd recommend Corsa myself, it's what I run and IMO it sounds amazing. Make sure you get a full cat-back with X pipe or you'll have to cut the stock exhaust.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
LT4 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Beeeeeeeeaaaauuutiful car. Just like mine, nearly identical except my windows aren't tinted yet, rumor has it MI is going to make it legal.

I would look at a Roto-fab intake for sure. Blower whine and noise is louder, and I think I can feel just a bit of an increase in HP. Looks cool too.

If you want louder without running Headers (Which require tuning and may pose inspection problems), then look at a Cat-back. I'd recommend Corsa myself, it's what I run and IMO it sounds amazing. Make sure you get a full cat-back with X pipe or you'll have to cut the stock exhaust.
Same to you man...been checking out your car on various threads...very nice!!!

My plan for this car is to not be a DD...but I want to run it in the 1/2 mile and Colorado Mile. My first goal for both is to get a baseline so as I make incremental improvements I can see the impact.

So to your point and suggestions...once I baseline I will probably go Roto-Fab, pulley (upper or lower?) and tune for 100 octane as I am not a E85 fan (long story) and since it is not a DD don't mind running 100 octane. That is my current plan but the car only has 200 miles on it so have a ways to go before I get my baselines done and start modding. Plan to start a build thread once I do.

This is a great forum as I was a very active member on Camaro 5 when I owned my 2014 ZL1.

Thanks again and look forward to communciating on the forum.

GM previously owned:
2014 SS M6
2014 ZL1 M6
2019 ZL1 M6
2016 Z06 M6
Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
JSAVILLE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert. A10
Quote:

just wanted to Thank for the advise on the exhaust system. I changed mine out to same exhaust system that you have. It's over the top....Great sound..
JSAVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAVILLE View Post
just wanted to Thank for the advise on the exhaust system. I changed mine out to same exhaust system that you have. It's over the top....Great sound..
Just one post like this makes it all the posting worth it. I've gotten quite a few happy recommendees from my thread on the setup. Now that Corsa has released their own X Pipe that bolts in perfectly (And bonus, it's 3" except at the connection in the back) it's even more of a no brainer.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
LT4 650

Quote:
Just one post like this makes it all the posting worth it. I've gotten quite a few happy recommendees from my thread on the setup. Now that Corsa has released their own X Pipe that bolts in perfectly (And bonus, it's 3" except at the connection in the back) it's even more of a no brainer.
Do you have a video you can upload for how your car sounds?

GM previously owned:
2014 SS M6
2014 ZL1 M6
2019 ZL1 M6
2016 Z06 M6
Old 08-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 650 View Post
Same to you man...been checking out your car on various threads...very nice!!!

My plan for this car is to not be a DD...but I want to run it in the 1/2 mile and Colorado Mile. My first goal for both is to get a baseline so as I make incremental improvements I can see the impact.

So to your point and suggestions...once I baseline I will probably go Roto-Fab, pulley (upper or lower?) and tune for 100 octane as I am not a E85 fan (long story) and since it is not a DD don't mind running 100 octane. That is my current plan but the car only has 200 miles on it so have a ways to go before I get my baselines done and start modding. Plan to start a build thread once I do.

This is a great forum as I was a very active member on Camaro 5 when I owned my 2014 ZL1.

Thanks again and look forward to communciating on the forum.
Hmm, if you're going to be doing 1/2 mile events and want to pulley then Headers should be on your short list. If you want the best, no fitment issues, all gaskets and whatnot to be included, order a set of ARH headers with the long X pipe so you go all the way to the back. Or you can go Kooks + their X Pipe, same thing. You'll pick up power, sound, and you'll lower the heat and pressure inside of the engine. Boost is a measure of restriction/pressure, and for that reason, people think that losing a PSI or two of boost means they lost power. Not so. All it means is the same air flow is being made by the blower but is now under less restriction which means lower temps and a happier engine. Expect 1-2 PSI drop in boost with Headers, and also expect a 30-50 RWHP gain when paired with a tune.

As for pulleys, it's up to you. Usually the upper pulleys are a little more mild (In the 5-10% Overdrive range) and pose less heat and fuel problems. The first thing to come up when modding this LT4 engine is going to be fuel, or should I say, lack thereof. If you stick with a mild pulley, 15% or below, you won't have fuel issues. For lower pulleys, the most popular is the 9.17" which is right around 15% which I'd put at a good range, you won't want to go any higher without the addition of Meth or E (100 octane will help a lot). The most popular upper is a 2.3 and should be in the 9% overdrive range. The upper is usually cheaper all said and done, but the lower is pushed more usually. I personally don't think you can go wrong either way.

A colder set of plugs and heat wraps should be included. I'd recommend 7 stage plug. Like LTR7IX-11s.

Consider doing a Kong Performance ported Blower/Snout/103mm Throttlebody (Nick Williams or Katech). That should be a healthy 40+ RWHP addition as well. Yes it's starting to get towards the lower HP return per $ spent but it's still power on the table if that's what you're after.

All in steps and it's an addicting game. Plenty of knowledge and info on this forum so ask away.