The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 04-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #281
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
I'm not gonna wade thru all the pages here, but realized that the intermittent buzz thru the sterring wheel and seat are due to the "shudder".

Being jerked around by the dealer service dept, and don't like what i hear.
Brake torque-ing to warm up the fluid to proper temp range, etc.

Seems to me, either the trans/torque converter was not designed for available fluid, or they used the wrong fluid on assembly.
I got a 2- year mechanical engineering degree, and built/flown my own airplane. And to make sure i landed my a$$ on the ground in one piece, seems like I ought to trust my experience/intuition.
I'm gonna have my trans fluid replaced, but they haven't said anything about a flush.
Screw what they say about being allowed into the service area, this is my bucket list item, after 3 operations in 2 years for cancer related issues.
They don't allow, they can kiss my backside. Or they can have dental work...???!!!
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #282
KelownaCamaro

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue Kalahari
I found this thread a few weeks ago after I felt a strange feeling while driving the car. Basically feels like you are driving over rumble strips. I agree with people here it's pretty tough to duplicate. For me it seems to happen when I'm in Touring and by switching to sport it seems to go away. What have others found? I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have it addressed as I normally drive around in touring but can't right now.
KelownaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #283
strickerj

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible 8A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaCamaro View Post
I found this thread a few weeks ago after I felt a strange feeling while driving the car. Basically feels like you are driving over rumble strips. I agree with people here it's pretty tough to duplicate. For me it seems to happen when I'm in Touring and by switching to sport it seems to go away. What have others found? I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have it addressed as I normally drive around in touring but can't right now.
Yeah, rumble strips is exactly how I'd describe it, and I too noticed when driving mine last year that it tended to be worse in Touring mode. (The only reason I can think of is the torque converter tries to lock up at lower engine speeds to save fuel.) Since taking it out of winter storage though, I'm finding it happening in Sport mode as well. I'm guessing as the problem gets progressively worse, it'll manifest itself more often and in more situations. At least that'll make it easier to diagnose - the dealer I took mine to just changed the fluid (for which they charged me, since GM claimed this is a "maintenance item").

Btw, my cousin recently moved to Kelowna (from Toronto). I've been meaning to get out that way at some point - I hear it's lovely.
strickerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #284
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
At least that'll make it easier to diagnose - the dealer I took mine to just changed the fluid (for which they charged me, since GM claimed this is a "maintenance item").
They charged you to change the tranny fluid for the shudder? If your car was still under warranty they definitely shouldn't have. Fluid exchange is regular maintenance but the reason for doing it certainly isn't.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #285
KelownaCamaro

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue Kalahari
Alright, just got back from the dealership. This is Canada so the bulletin #is PIP5405B. Basically yes the technician went out with the diagnostic equipment hooked up to the car and couldn't generate the information which would warrant them doing any work. I was not pleased and spoke to the service manager and basically what it boils down to is building a better case, so that they can get the approval required from GM to take the additional steps. I.e. the condition needs to deteriorate further. Also he mentioned that phoning GM directly and complaining may help.
KelownaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #286
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Took mine in yesterday for the new flush, and they are now replacing the torque converter as well. Even though GM specifically now states to not replace the torque converter along with this new fluid and flush, they are somehow able to do it in my case. Have my fingers crossed on this one lol
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #287
strickerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagstar View Post
They charged you to change the tranny fluid for the shudder? If your car was still under warranty they definitely shouldn't have. Fluid exchange is regular maintenance but the reason for doing it certainly isn't.
Yep. I argued that it isn't since the manual calls for a fluid change at 45,000 miles, and I came in a specific issue rather than just preventative maintenance at only 30,000 miles, but they wouldn't budge. When that didn't fix it, they had my car for 4 weeks before finally telling me this is just how they are.

I'm pretty disappointed considering my wife's parents have used this dealer exclusively for over 30 years. (Bit off topic, but the dealer I bought the car from was pretty lousy too, despite being a small, family-owned business with excellent reviews - salesman attempted to deal with 3 customers at once, offered me $3000 less than Blue Book for my trade, and didn't give me any documentation I needed to use the wheel and tire warranty that I paid $800 extra for, or return my calls when I asked about it. I still like the car, but everything about this experience has soured me on GM. I guess I should have listened to my dad, who had a similar experience with them back in the '80s.)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #288
HCI2000SS

Just got mine back today. New revised torque converter, along with new fluid and flush procedure. Honestly it feels better than the day I bought it. No shudder at all, but even more interesting is that the trans behaves a little differently. Hard to describe, but it just feels better and more correct like a normal trans should IMO. Hopefully this completely fixes it. Anyone know what is different about this revised torque converter? Service advisor couldn't really tell me
Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #289
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
No shudder at all, but even more interesting is that the trans behaves a little differently. Hard to describe, but it just feels better and more correct like a normal trans should IMO.
I didn't get a new TC but did have the new fill done about 2500 miles ago. It's been fine so far. Besides the shudder being gone I definitely noticed the trans behaving better. It felt a lot more confident in gear selection, and also not shifting when I didn't think it should anymore.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #290
HCI2000SS

Quote:
I didn't get a new TC but did have the new fill done about 2500 miles ago. It's been fine so far. Besides the shudder being gone I definitely noticed the trans behaving better. It felt a lot more confident in gear selection, and also not shifting when I didn't think it should anymore.
Exactly. It does feel more confident and better able to hold a gear more correctly and normally. Good to know yours has been holding up for 2500 miles. It's a start ..time will tell
Old 04-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #291
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
I have to say the same thing. I got the shudder last August or September and got the car in. Since the flush and reflash the car has been superb! The shifting is really smooth but yet strong and the car just s $hits and gets! I have zero complaints at this moment and have close to 2k on the car since the service. I'm pretty damn happy right now.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #292
KeithBridges

Drives: 2013 ZL1
2019 Zl1

I have a 2019 ZL1 A10. I know this discussion is all related to the A 8 but has anyone experienced the same shudder in the A10? I’ve been experiencing the same exact issues with my A10. I noticed it the day I drove it off the lot. Brought it back twice and they can’t find any issues. Told me to just drive it more that’s it’s probably just from sitting in one spot too long and the tires developed “flat spots” due to the cold weather. Well I’m in South Louisiana, the temperature hasn’t been below 50 since I drove it home and it’s been 85-90 degrees for the last 3 weeks. Still have the same issues.
KeithBridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #293
strickerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBridges View Post
I have a 2019 ZL1 A10. I know this discussion is all related to the A 8 but has anyone experienced the same shudder in the A10? I’ve been experiencing the same exact issues with my A10. I noticed it the day I drove it off the lot. Brought it back twice and they can’t find any issues. Told me to just drive it more that’s it’s probably just from sitting in one spot too long and the tires developed “flat spots” due to the cold weather. Well I’m in South Louisiana, the temperature hasn’t been below 50 since I drove it home and it’s been 85-90 degrees for the last 3 weeks. Still have the same issues.
See if you can reproduce it - it pretty consistently happens to me when the engine and transmission are fully warmed up, at highway speed in top gear under light load (i.e., apply a little bit of throttle just off idle to maintain speed, whereupon the torque converter will try to lock up). If it's intermittent like that, it isn't the tires, obviously.

Although next they'll probably try to tell you it's just the roads - I remember when I was a kid and we used to drive to New Orleans from Mississippi twice a year, you could tell you'd entered Louisiana from the sound and feel of the pavement changing. Sometimes it would even wake me up.

I hope for your and everyone else's sake though it isn't the same issue - I saw quite a few people on the other thread traded their SS's for ZL1's to get the 10-speed auto.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #294
RSC

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2LT
Hey guys, I gave my car to the dealership regarding the shudder issue on the 5th of this month (8th day its been with them so far) and they're saying they still need an approval from GM for the torque converter and possibly a whole new transmission! My concern is they're saying it could take upwards of 5 weeks for my car to get back to me (they say they have another camaro with the same issue that's been with them for 5 weeks so far). The car only has 13,000 miles. I'm just wondering if it's normal for them to take this long? I'm also wondering if I have any basis for the lemon law to apply (even though I just want my car fixed instead of having that headache). I bought the car new in Georgia but I live in Florida.
RSC is offline   Reply With Quote