Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Skirts and splitter are supposed to have tape AND rivets (splitter also has screws) to secure them. If adhered -CORRECTLY-, "just tape" will actually hold up well (mine are tape only, I put them on, and routinely drive on the highway at speeds fast enough that they "should" have pulled away if they weren't installed correctly).

Simply look at the rockers - if there are no holes, they didn't put them on correctly. Unfortunately, since that would be the fault of the dealership, they may be difficult to get to move to remedy. Have a convo with the sales manager and explain the situation. Talk facts ("no holes in the rockers mean that the rivets weren't installed") and ask what they will do to remedy what is their error.

If there is ANY pushback, "offer" to call into GM and open a case about it as you know it will help.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #16
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
USE RIVETS ONLY

Ok I would NOT use double sided tape or screws. If you use POP RIVETS by themselves then the fit will turn out great as long as you use ENOUGH rivets. In my case I used 25 rivets PER side and there were just 15 of those that were predrilled per each rocker. I used the EOS ZL1 style carbon fiber rocker panel skirts I have a rivet ROUGHLY every 4-5 inches. The rockers are ABOUT 7 feet long.

The RIVETS DO NOT show and since you are going through the stock plastic rocker panels then there is NO chance of rust if you use aluminum rivets. I installed the rivets with an AIR GUN for more clamping force.

As a side note, there was a 1LE at AMP that had his rockers just held on by tape also. VERY FLIMSY. SO basically there are alot of dealers NOT installing them correctly. It takes 2-3 hours to do the job right so I am sure that factors into their decision to SHORTCUT the process. Rather than putting the car UP on a lift it is BETTER to simply put the car on 4 jack stands so that the ARMS of the lift dont block your access. I cant see a dealer doing this EITHER. If neccessary, to REMOVE an installed rivet, simply drill out the center of it with a 3/16th drill bit.

Look at POST 66 in the following thread below:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=602092&page=5
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 05-16-2022 at 11:37 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Ok I would NOT use double sided tape or screws. If you use POP RIVETS by themselves then the fit will turn out great as long as you use ENOUGH rivets. In my case I used 25 rivets PER side and there were just 15 of those that were predrilled per each rocker. I used the EOS ZL1 style carbon fiber rocker panel skirts I have a rivet ROUGHLY every 4-5 inches. The rockers are ABOUT 7 feet long.

The RIVETS DO NOT show and since you are going through the stock plastic rocker panels then there is NO chance of rust if you use aluminum rivets. I installed the rivets with an AIR GUN for more clamping force.

As a side note, there was a 1LE at AMP that had his rockers just held on by tape also. VERY FLIMSY. SO basically there are alot of dealers NOT installing them correctly. It takes 2-3 hours to do the job right so I am sure that factors into their decision to SHORTCUT the process. Rather than putting the car UP on a lift it is BETTER to simply put the car on 4 jack stands so that the ARMS of the lift dont block your access. I cant see a dealer doing this EITHER. If neccessary, to REMOVE an installed rivet, simply drill out the center of it with a 3/16th drill bit.

Look at POST 66 in the following thread below:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=602092&page=5
I have the exact same skirts on my car only not carbon fiber. Install was done with tape ONLY (that I supplied). They did come with screws.

Not using tape is a bad choice as it will put the skirt directly up against the paint and it will wear through over time, leaving that area prone to additional damage. Adding screws and/or rivets is fine, but with the correct tape and installation process, tape only can be perfectly fine for the street.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #18
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I have the exact same skirts on my car only not carbon fiber. Install was done with tape ONLY (that I supplied). They did come with screws.

Not using tape is a bad choice as it will put the skirt directly up against the paint and it will wear through over time, leaving that area prone to additional damage. Adding screws and/or rivets is fine, but with the correct tape and installation process, tape only can be perfectly fine for the street.
Well all I say is the fit using RIVETS is VERY tight. The only way you are going to get damage is if the rivets come loose. The TAPE has some amount of GIVE to it resulting in a fit that basically isnt as tight. Also extreme heat can breakdown the adhesion of the tape. If I break one loose at 155 MPH using rivets only on a road course I will be the first to post that up here (LOL).
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Well all I say is the fit using RIVETS is VERY tight. The only way you are going to get damage is if the rivets come loose. The TAPE has some amount of GIVE to it resulting in a fit that basically isnt as tight. Also extreme heat can breakdown the adhesion of the tape. If I break one loose at 155 MPH using rivets only on a road course I will be the first to post that up here (LOL).
The tape acts as a layer of protection for the paint as well. And including it in the process along with rivets will still provide a solid install.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #20
PostalLDMC

Drives: 2022 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
https://ecom-dam.ext.gm.com/products...s_23433693.pdf
Link above is the Body Accessory Trim Package Installation
I just want to thank you for the pics. So I can show the dealer what is wrong on the Side skirt Rocker panels.
PostalLDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #21
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalLDMC View Post
I just want to thank you for the pics. So I can show the dealer what is wrong on the Side skirt Rocker panels.
Great, glad it will help. Also, the part comes with a warranty. Balance of the vehicle bumper to bumper warranty or 12 months/ 12,000 miles. I just don't understand how on the LPO items, especially with this cost, these dealers don't do the proper install. It's written clearly as Day!
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote