The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
You, the jury: Automotive court is in session

A friend of mine went to AutoZone a couple of days ago. He needed a new battery, and gave the counter guy the make/ model/ year/ description of his vehicle (a newer Hyundai).

AutoZone then provided the battery, which John purchased. He installed it in his car (did the install in the AutoZone parking lot), but when he tried to start the car, it would not fire up. After some investigating, it was discovered that the terminals on the battery that AutoZone had given him were reversed, regarding cable position in his car.

He removed the battery, went back inside, and explained that they had given him the wrong battery. The again looked up his make/ model/ year/ description, and said, "Dang. I guess we did give you the wrong one." They then provided one with the CORRECT polarity.

He installed that one, the car started. However, on the drive home, his car began exhibiting problems. He ended up having the car towed to the dealership, where they have told him (this morning) that his ECM and possibly his alternator are "toast." They told him that it looked like somebody had done damage by delivering reversed polarity through the system.

So.... does AutoZone owe John for the repairs? WILL they do so? Is John responsible, as he SHOULD have matched red to + and black to -?!? Who SHOULD pay for this repair... which could be pricy?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Whoever installed the battery is to blame. End of story. You alway, always, always check the terminals for correct polarity before installing it. If that would have been me that new one would have never made it to the car. That is the first thing you check before ever picking up a tool to change it.

Last edited by motorhead; 08-03-2015 at 12:07 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Sadly, I concur. That sucks for your friend. :(
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Whoever installed the battery is to blame. End of story. You alway, always, always check the terminals for correct polarity for installing. If that would have been me that new one would have never made it to the car. That is the first thing you check before ever picking up a tool to change it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Sadly, I concur. That sucks for your friend. :(
I'm afraid I agree with these guys. Yea they sold him the wrong one but he should have looked at the terminals before he connected them. If Autozone did the installation then it would be a different issue however he was the one that installed the battery.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
I don't know about the auto repair industry, but in aviation it is always the techs responsibility to ensure the part is the correct one before installing.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I am agreeing with others. I can understand he was probably in a hurry, trying to get in, and get out. Quick change and on the road... .but he still has to stop and make sure he is installing it correctly.

Now I'm sure a really good attorney would want to have some fun with that challenge and take it on.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
It's too bad he didn't let Autozone put it in. I thought they did that for free.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I agree with the rest above.

Such for your fiend but never trust the minim wage peeps behind the counter at a parts store. I always compare the old part to the new part before installing.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I appreciate the input, my friends. While I can see that AutoZone's error contributed to the issue, I also agree that he SHOULD have checked before hooking those cables up.

I'll deliver the news to him... that C5 has decided that he is S.O.L.!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
IMO, the person that did the install is responsible for the damage. Life lesson handed out, I doubt John will ever make that mistake again.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Piling on for this one.

First thing I ever check when replacing a battery is where are the terminals and which is which.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
It not all Autozone fault. It is mstly the person installed the battery is at fault. he did not make sure the connects was correct.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
He should have driven in reverse!

Sorry, but your friend is out of luck!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
He should have driven in reverse!

Sorry, but your friend is out of luck!
This one cracked me up. Sorry, but I agree with everyone else here.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote