Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
I bought mine in Los Angeles. I was able to get my new ZL1 for MSRP...minus the monthly GM rebate...minus a temporary dealer promotion...and then minus an employee discount code. I did order in advance, so I did have to put up a $1000 refundable deposit, but other than that pretty straight forward. I have never paid a mark up on a vehicle and I don't ever plan to just because even if it is just a small mark up, you just have that ripped off feeling knowing that someone paid MSRP...or less and here you are paying more...why? Typically, if you walk into a dealership prepared...pre-approved loan in hand, cash in hand for your deposit then a dealer is more likely to sell you the car at a more reasonable price (did not work on the GT350/GT350R...had to walk away, but I got a ZL1 instead, yay )

If you can deal with the extra hoops, I think it is awesome if you can buy from a state with no sales tax, atleast a $5-6K savings right away...I just don't have the time or energy to deal with that. I received enough discounts to offset any tax costs, so I was satisfied.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
I bought mine in Los Angeles. I was able to get my new ZL1 for MSRP...minus the monthly GM rebate...minus a temporary dealer promotion...and then minus an employee discount code. I did order in advance, so I did have to put up a $1000 refundable deposit, but other than that pretty straight forward. I have never paid a mark up on a vehicle and I don't ever plan to just because even if it is just a small mark up, you just have that ripped off feeling knowing that someone paid MSRP...or less and here you are paying more...why? Typically, if you walk into a dealership prepared...pre-approved loan in hand, cash in hand for your deposit then a dealer is more likely to sell you the car at a more reasonable price (did not work on the GT350/GT350R...had to walk away, but I got a ZL1 instead, yay )

If you can deal with the extra hoops, I think it is awesome if you can buy from a state with no sales tax, atleast a $5-6K savings right away...I just don't have the time or energy to deal with that. I received enough discounts to offset any tax costs, so I was satisfied.
It doesn't matter where you buy it. What matters is where you're registering it.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #17
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Typically, if you walk into a dealership prepared...pre-approved loan in hand, cash in hand for your deposit then a dealer is more likely to sell you the car at a more reasonable price
You're actually better off not disclosing how you're going to pay, or saying you're going to finance through whoever the dealer uses and just negotiate the price of the car. The finance guys at the dealerships like to make money too. If they know they aren't going to make anything on that part of the deal, then they're less apt to negotiate.

Quote:
You'll still have to pay sales tax, as pretty much every state has reciprocal agreements now. If you buy a car in Oregon, you'll still have to pay sales tax when you register it in California. I believe they even ask you now where it's going to be registered, and include CA taxes so there's no surprises.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #18
SoCal Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
It doesn't matter where you buy it. What matters is where you're registering it.
I see...I have not done it personally, because like I said, I don't have time to deal with the hoops. So, if you buy outside of Cali and register here...you have to pay CA Sales tax. Do you just pay the base rate which is 6% + the automatic local which is 1.5% or so? or which rate? because each city/county carries a different sales tax rate on top of the base rate? for example my area is about 9.25 % or so. I would think I would not have to pay that because I did not purchase it here...? If so, that would still be pretty good if I could save nearly 2% by paying the base sales tax rate. Or I could just buy from Ventura County which I believe is still just the base rate @7.5% This whole thing is bad for the state that you bought the car from though as they would get nothing?...maybe we should just all buy a house in Oregon or Montana lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
You're actually better off not disclosing how you're going to pay, or saying you're going to finance through whoever the dealer uses and just negotiate the price of the car. The finance guys at the dealerships like to make money too. If they know they aren't going to make anything on that part of the deal, then they're less apt to negotiate.

You'll still have to pay sales tax, as pretty much every state has reciprocal agreements now. If you buy a car in Oregon, you'll still have to pay sales tax when you register it in California. I believe they even ask you now where it's going to be registered, and include CA taxes so there's no surprises.
I get you and I agree with your scenario to some degree, however, having a pre-approved loan for any major purchase demonstrates up front that you...1) have good credit....2) have the funds available to make the purchase, today...right now...3) that you are serious and want to really buy the vehicle and are not in the "just thinking about it" mind set. They know this without knowing your name, your credit score, or anything about you, just buy you having that pre-approved letter in your possession (assuming the amount your approved for is enough to cover the cost of the car, of course lol). Everyone around says they want to buy a brand new ZL1/ZL1 1LE, but out of 1000 people who go look at one, how many actually sign the paper work, buy the car, and drive the car all the way home? I am willing to guess not many. Having the loan paper in your hand shows the dealer that you are not one of "those" people. You are here to buy,...make me a deal now.

And about the finance people making their money....they will find a way...I had a pre-approved loan for 72 months @1% from my bank. The dealer was offering me 72 months @3.99 as their "best" rate. I advised them of the rate I was pre-approved on and they miraculously were able to find a matching rate for 72 months @1%. They asked me upfront if they could match it would I sign with them instead of my own bank, I agreed...they tried to push 2%...nope....1.5%...nope...they finally got down to 1%....done. Would not have happened if I did not have that paper in my hand
Old 06-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
I bought my 2017 ZL1 at Fremont Chev just off Auto Mall Parkway. MSRP minus my $5,100.00 GM Family discount. I got on their list about this time last year, I was #1 on the list. When they received an allocation they called me and I went down and order the car the way i wanted. Picked it up the week before Christmas. Put half down and financed the balance for 3 years at just over 2% interest. No hassle, didn't give me any grief over MSRP, the discount or interest rate, very smooth transaction.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #20
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post

If i understand Cal DMV, you can't buy a new car out of state and bring it into the state right away. I'm pretty sure you have to have 7500 miles on a car that was purchased out of state to register it in California.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #21
SoCal Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
I bought my 2017 ZL1 at Fremont Chev just off Auto Mall Parkway. MSRP minus my $5,100.00 GM Family discount. I got on their list about this time last year, I was #1 on the list. When they received an allocation they called me and I went down and order the car the way i wanted. Picked it up the week before Christmas. Put half down and financed the balance for 3 years at just over 2% interest. No hassle, didn't give me any grief over MSRP, the discount or interest rate, very smooth transaction.
Nice xmas gift...and nice deal...congrats on the new ZL1
Old 06-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #22

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
If i understand Cal DMV, you can't buy a new car out of state and bring it into the state right away. I'm pretty sure you have to have 7500 miles on a car that was purchased out of state to register it in California.
Pretty much....but that's just for re-registering in California. If it was bought and registered in another state where it racked up 7500 miles, re-registering in CA is no big deal....other than passing smog-test....(Most new cars are already CA emissions compliant).

A "new" car with less than 7500 miles would still be considered "new" and be subject to CA sales tax, DMV fees, etc., even if previously registered in another state...

But as was stated earlier, if you do buy out of state, don't register it in that state if you plan to bring it immediately to CA....New cars are registered, taxed, based on where you live, not on where it was bought.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #23
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I see...I have not done it personally, because like I said, I don't have time to deal with the hoops. So, if you buy outside of Cali and register here...you have to pay CA Sales tax. Do you just pay the base rate which is 6% + the automatic local which is 1.5% or so? or which rate? because each city/county carries a different sales tax rate on top of the base rate? for example my area is about 9.25 % or so. I would think I would not have to pay that because I did not purchase it here...? If so, that would still be pretty good if I could save nearly 2% by paying the base sales tax rate. Or I could just buy from Ventura County which I believe is still just the base rate @7.5% This whole thing is bad for the state that you bought the car from though as they would get nothing?...maybe we should just all buy a house in Oregon or Montana lol...

I get you and I agree with your scenario to some degree, however, having a pre-approved loan for any major purchase demonstrates up front that you...1) have good credit....2) have the funds available to make the purchase, today...right now...3) that you are serious and want to really buy the vehicle and are not in the "just thinking about it" mind set. They know this without knowing your name, your credit score, or anything about you, just buy you having that pre-approved letter in your possession (assuming the amount your approved for is enough to cover the cost of the car, of course lol). Everyone around says they want to buy a brand new ZL1/ZL1 1LE, but out of 1000 people who go look at one, how many actually sign the paper work, buy the car, and drive the car all the way home? I am willing to guess not many. Having the loan paper in your hand shows the dealer that you are not one of "those" people. You are here to buy,...make me a deal now.

And about the finance people making their money....they will find a way...I had a pre-approved loan for 72 months @1% from my bank. The dealer was offering me 72 months @3.99 as their "best" rate. I advised them of the rate I was pre-approved on and they miraculously were able to find a matching rate for 72 months @1%. They asked me upfront if they could match it would I sign with them instead of my own bank, I agreed...they tried to push 2%...nope....1.5%...nope...they finally got down to 1%....done. Would not have happened if I did not have that paper in my hand
You pay the rate of the area in which you register it so yea, 9.25% in your case.

I played that game as well regarding financing although, I didn't tell them the rate I was preapproved for and told them that they would have to beat that rate not meet it and they did. lol
Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
Rooster OG

Drives: 2016
Quote:
Lol, that's the dealership I linked that wants a 5k adm. I get it with a car like this because these guys will probably only have a couple on their lot, so they wanna maximize it. I sure as shit won't pay it, and I think it's messed up, but there are lots of alternatives, so whatever I guess.

Quote:
You can. I bought my c7 out of state, had to get it smogged, inspected at the DMV, then pay the registration and my local sales tax. So there's no avoiding any of that stuff.

Ah well, I'm not in a hurry, or at least too much of one. When Chevy announces the ZR1, I think that will loosen the ZL1 market up, as will summer ending.
Rooster OG is offline   Reply With Quote