Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
ZL1 1LE ride quality-owners only!

Hey there...it's ME again, the guy with the Charger Hellcat.

Now I'm leaning on keeping the Hellcat and buying a ZL1-1LE. I'm in Burbank, LA.

Soooo...I keep hearing so much grief about the suspension for normal driving. Is it THAT bad? My Hellcat will rattle teeth in track mode, but I could live with it. How much worse is the 1LE?

R
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Watch the latest ZL1 1LE Smoking Tire Episode on youtube. Matt is no Camaro fan but when you look at him driving it, you can see it's throwing him around pretty good on slightly rough roads. I'd say with the hard mounted suspension, it does not look forgiving enough for the streets around me. I'd much rather have mag ride (also an a10 for me) and maybe the wheels and tires form the ZL1 1le.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
utsteve98

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2017 Ford Raptor
Go with the car that calls to your soul. Everything else is irrelevant. I find that I prefer to compromise on various things to own the car I truly want versus try to use logic and choose the practical car that isn't my top choice. Sounds like you prefer a 1LE. So do it.
utsteve98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post

Now I'm leaning on keeping the Hellcat and buying a ZL1-1LE. I'm in Burbank, LA.

Soooo...I keep hearing so much grief about the suspension for normal driving. Is it THAT bad? My Hellcat will rattle teeth in track mode, but I could live with it. How much worse is the 1LE?

R
You have to pick your Druthers;

1) Accelerated dental exams for Helicat teeth chatter or;

2) Becoming a member of the most Elite, A$$ Kicking, G-Eating, Track Demolishing Fraternity ever created by General Motors.

You make the choice.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
dlct3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Personally. I was very worried about it myself before purchasing. I'm not a true track guy (Ya I know...roast me now right) I'll never take it because it might get scratched or chipped. LOL So at least the next owner will get a new care that's been babied.

Anyways..after about 500 miles of driving I've come to the conclusion if I don't drive a regular ZL1 with the magnetic ride I'll always be fine with it myself. Is it rough at times? sure, but not unbearable. I had my father in-law along for a 200+ mile ride the other day and all I could think about was how uncomfortable he might be. He actually wasn't and respected the car for what it was. He compared it to older muscle cars and what he had been used to which is how well we expect new cars to ride as they advance technology. Heck a new 2500 gmc rides better than my 13' half ton. So basically I made it sound worse than it was to him prior to taking off which the same way I felt the first time I drove it. Its not that bad IMO.

Good luck & keep us posted!
dlct3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post

R
I live off Buena Vista/Verdugo much of the year. The local streets around here and on the other side of the hill will definitely rattle your teeth in a ZL1 1LE. Maybe even compress a disc in your back. But I’d still get one. It certainly wouldn’t stop me.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
I live off Buena Vista/Verdugo much of the year. The local streets around here and on the other side of the hill will definitely rattle your teeth in a ZL1 1LE. Maybe even compress a disc in your back. But I’d still get one. It certainly wouldn’t stop me.

Great feedback guys....

I'm in Burbank on Olive avenue. I'm likely going to do it after this model year. I'm not ruling out a regular ZL1, but the 1LE seems like the logical next step beyond the Hellcat's insanity.

Thanks to all,

R.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #8
toronto18zl1

Drives: Cayenne GTS, Tesla SP90D
Seems to me like the regular ZL1 is the better option for you (especially after seeing the other post of yours) and here's why. Seems to me like money isn't an issue for you (you were considering a hurricane), you can always add the aero package for a total of 5000$ from ACS composite. That's everything from the 1LE spliter and the dive plane and spoiler and tinted tail light and even the more aggressive front grill, and all those are actually functional. (If you really want the 1le look, with spacers you can even put on the wide 19inch wheels).For daily driving you will want the mag ride, unless you enjoy being tossed around driving to the supermarket while coffee or drink spilled all over the place. And yes, 1le ride quality is a lot worse than the hellcat.
toronto18zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
toronto18zl1

Drives: Cayenne GTS, Tesla SP90D
And the since the 1le doesn't have any power upgrade from the regular ZL1, there's not really any speed upgrade, from the insanity prospective. It's more like a handling upgrade, and arguably for some people a cosmetic upgrade. The ZL1 isn't as powerful as your hellcat, but it's lighter, with 10 speed auto it's actually faster in a straight line than the hellcat. Idk about the 6 speed though.
toronto18zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
IMO 98% of "car guys" out there would be equally as fast on an actual road course in a standard m6 ZL1, as a ZL1 1LE.....and likely faster with an a10 ZL1. A pro driver would only be a couple/few seconds faster per lap in the 1LE, (at best) and 98% of camaro owners wouldn't be able to push either car near its lap time limit on track.

Buy the standard ZL1 unless it's to be largely a dedicated track toy.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #11
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
My ZL1 1LE is not a dedicated track toy. I split it probably 30% track and 70% thrashing it on the country roads in central Florida with some of the thrashing happening on the interstate.
I run it in track mode all the same with the wheel slip not engaged. I prefer to control how much rear wheel slip I want. I leave the magnetic suspension engaged 50% of the time.
I have no problem with the harsh ride. Sure, on rough country single lane roads it tends to be airborne for a few seconds and bounces laterally on the road on the small twists but I would not want to give up what the 1LE package gives me in the car for a smoother ride.
I prefer the manual trans.
I have a 6 speed manual ferrari 550 maranello front engine V12 and initially I thought my 550 was faster because it is not. The camaro gives a rougher ride than my ferrari but the steering is smoother and dampened more in the camaro so it is actually faster but it does not feel like it is.
You will not regret the 1LE suspension. It is phenomenal and makes my Ferrari pale in comparison.
I would not want to take my camaro for a 600 mile a day trip across the country but for thrashing around for several hours it is a blast. Then I am ready for a break.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
I leave the magnetic suspension engaged 50% of the time.
I don't understand this sentence. Please explain further.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Old 08-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
My ZL1 1LE is not a dedicated track toy. I split it probably 30% track and 70% thrashing it on the country roads in central Florida with some of the thrashing happening on the interstate.
I run it in track mode all the same with the wheel slip not engaged. I prefer to control how much rear wheel slip I want. I leave the magnetic suspension engaged 50% of the time.
I have no problem with the harsh ride. Sure, on rough country single lane roads it tends to be airborne for a few seconds and bounces laterally on the road on the small twists but I would not want to give up what the 1LE package gives me in the car for a smoother ride.
I prefer the manual trans.
I have a 6 speed manual ferrari 550 maranello front engine V12 and initially I thought my 550 was faster because it is not. The camaro gives a rougher ride than my ferrari but the steering is smoother and dampened more in the camaro so it is actually faster but it does not feel like it is.
You will not regret the 1LE suspension. It is phenomenal and makes my Ferrari pale in comparison.
I would not want to take my camaro for a 600 mile a day trip across the country but for thrashing around for several hours it is a blast. Then I am ready for a break.

The 1LE doesn't get a Magnetic suspension.

R