Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
Robster

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 6M
Video: First track day at Auto Club Speedway of California

Here's a video of my third session of the day. Loads of fun. Looking to come back and work on my times and driving line a little better. Constructive criticism and suggestions welcome.
The driving starts at the 1 minute mark.

Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
A couple of observations and suggestions, since you asked:

1) Good for you in getting out on the track and taking advantage of what your car was designed for!

2) Strive to be smooth with your inputs. The goal as you approach and go through a corner, especially as a novice is: 1) Brake in straight line medium to hard to scrub off most of the speed, then gently roll off the brake pedal as you approach the turn in point 2) Turn into the corner progressively turning the steering wheel (smoothly) to get to the apex of the corner 3) start to apply gas (again, smoothly rolling on to it) beginning at apex and advancing throttle as you unwind the steering wheel out to corner exit.

It's important to be smooth because as you start taking corners faster and closer to the adhesion limit of your tires, the tire grip will be maxed out just slowing the car, turning through the corner, or accelerating out of the corner while still partially turning. Making non smooth inputs (on the brakes /off the brakes/back on them again as you seem to do some times on the video, or mashing on the throttle too abruptly) will tend to upset the chassis and brake the tires free and likely cause loss of control and possible spin.

3) Suggest you keep the PTM mode in "dry" until you know the track line and "Sport 1" until you can reliably do all your inputs consistently smoothly. Sport 2 and Race fully disable stability control and also allow more power on corner exit, which will both make it easier to lose the rear end on corner exit and make you (the driver) the only mechanism available to counteract oversteer where ever it might happen (corner entry, mid corner, or exit). Refer to point #2 as to why you likely will want stability control enabled, at least for the time being. Of course, if you are really confident you can catch the rear end (counter steer and recover) each and every time it steps out, then by all means use Sport 2 or Race.

4) Do HPDE events that provide an instructor in the car with you. They will prevent bad habits from forming and help you improve a lot faster than you can manage solo.

5) Keep at it. It's rewarding to observe your own skills improve.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Looks like a really fun circuit. I love the idea of combing part of the oval with an inner field circuit. I wish Michigan International Speedway would offer track days in this configuration.

Hard to offer any productive feedback. The only thing I would stay is you could try using more of the circuit, and turn-in/apex later on a few of the corners. But well done!
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
looks good man! did you race saturday or sunday and did you meet any other guys? what was your best time and what run group did you run in?
Old 11-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
Robster

Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback, N Camarolina.

I think you're right that I should keep stability control on (PTM Dry or Sport 1) for now. I did my first lap out with Sport 1 but I did want to explore the effect of no stability control. I did a car control clinic the week prior called Fast Sideways (by Nic Romano) and felt a little more confident "getting loose" and recovering from oversteer. I think I had one or two slides I caught on this run (which would definitely have been spins before the car control clinic) but really I should be able to get faster times if like you suggest, I get smoother. The added safety makes sense. Then I can focus on staying on the driving line and improving my consistency.

Same on the instruction. I've had two one day instructor sessions (one of them mentioned above) and it has made all the difference. With regard to training, I'm actually looking into taking a drifting class (I've got a few extra rear tires to burn) to get more comfortable with exceeding the limit of adhesion and bringing the car back. I don't necessarily want to be a drift racer but I do want to have that level of confidence and skill where it's fine if the tail begins to hang out. Or better yet, to induce rotation in anticipation of a corner. It was also just tons of fun to drift around on a cheap set of rear tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
A couple of observations and suggestions, since you asked:

1) Good for you in getting out on the track and taking advantage of what your car was designed for!

2) Strive to be smooth with your inputs. The goal as you approach and go through a corner, especially as a novice is: 1) Brake in straight line medium to hard to scrub off most of the speed, then gently roll off the brake pedal as you approach the turn in point 2) Turn into the corner progressively turning the steering wheel (smoothly) to get to the apex of the corner 3) start to apply gas (again, smoothly rolling on to it) beginning at apex and advancing throttle as you unwind the steering wheel out to corner exit.

It's important to be smooth because as you start taking corners faster and closer to the adhesion limit of your tires, the tire grip will be maxed out just slowing the car, turning through the corner, or accelerating out of the corner while still partially turning. Making non smooth inputs (on the brakes /off the brakes/back on them again as you seem to do some times on the video, or mashing on the throttle too abruptly) will tend to upset the chassis and brake the tires free and likely cause loss of control and possible spin.

3) Suggest you keep the PTM mode in "dry" until you know the track line and "Sport 1" until you can reliably do all your inputs consistently smoothly. Sport 2 and Race fully disable stability control and also allow more power on corner exit, which will both make it easier to lose the rear end on corner exit and make you (the driver) the only mechanism available to counteract oversteer where ever it might happen (corner entry, mid corner, or exit). Refer to point #2 as to why you likely will want stability control enabled, at least for the time being. Of course, if you are really confident you can catch the rear end (counter steer and recover) each and every time it steps out, then by all means use Sport 2 or Race.

4) Do HPDE events that provide an instructor in the car with you. They will prevent bad habits from forming and help you improve a lot faster than you can manage solo.

5) Keep at it. It's rewarding to observe your own skills improve.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
Robster

Sunday session
Lots of cool folks. Everyone was welcoming and pleasant. I saw a lot of Camaros out there but didn't make a connection with anyone here.
Best time was 1:57.467
I ran in the black run group, point by passing.
Loads of fun, I hope i can get back to this track soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
looks good man! did you race saturday or sunday and did you meet any other guys? what was your best time and what run group did you run in?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

nice i usually run in black or purple group i had a few camaro buddys out there sat/sun pete in his red zl1 is one of the fast guys he was running 1:45 or so on 3rs and 19s

we are going to buttonwillow in dec 12 for super gt cup if you are down to go?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Robster

I can't make Dec-12 but I am planning on my first visit to Buttonwillow that following Saturday, Dec 18.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

oh nice its a super fun track be safe have fun!
Old 11-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
Good time for first time! SV is a terrible organization though.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEM1 View Post
Good time for first time! SV is a terrible organization though.

haha i havent had too many problems with them but been racing more with ongrid and did one event with other guys on my bday
Old 11-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Looks like a really fun circuit. I love the idea of combing part of the oval with an inner field circuit. I wish Michigan International Speedway would offer track days in this configuration.

Hard to offer any productive feedback. The only thing I would stay is you could try using more of the circuit, and turn-in/apex later on a few of the corners. But well done!
One positive thing about living in CA is the amount of tracks we have. We're spoiled. This one is the most boring. Basically 4 drag strips with some turns. Pretty flat elevation.
Attached Images

AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEM1 View Post
One positive thing about living in CA is the amount of tracks we have. We're spoiled. This one is the most boring. Basically 4 drag strips with some turns. Pretty flat elevation.

haha most boring and also closest im moving to riverside/corona from hb soon so it will be even closer but also chuckwalla will be closer
Old 11-09-2021, 04:53 PM   #14
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster View Post
Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback, N Camarolina.

I think you're right that I should keep stability control on (PTM Dry or Sport 1) for now. I did my first lap out with Sport 1 but I did want to explore the effect of no stability control. I did a car control clinic the week prior called Fast Sideways (by Nic Romano) and felt a little more confident "getting loose" and recovering from oversteer. I think I had one or two slides I caught on this run (which would definitely have been spins before the car control clinic) but really I should be able to get faster times if like you suggest, I get smoother. The added safety makes sense. Then I can focus on staying on the driving line and improving my consistency.

Same on the instruction. I've had two one day instructor sessions (one of them mentioned above) and it has made all the difference. With regard to training, I'm actually looking into taking a drifting class (I've got a few extra rear tires to burn) to get more comfortable with exceeding the limit of adhesion and bringing the car back. I don't necessarily want to be a drift racer but I do want to have that level of confidence and skill where it's fine if the tail begins to hang out. Or better yet, to induce rotation in anticipation of a corner. It was also just tons of fun to drift around on a cheap set of rear tires
That's great that you've had some car control clinics and want more of the same. I myself want (and need) that as well and have to find viable options to practice making the tail step out and then implement CPR. So far I have only had one opportunity to catch the rear (aka made a significant mistake) and I wasn't entirely successful (went off the track in a semi controlled manner). Scary as $h!t when you are doing 90mph at the apex of T10 at VIR and the tail steps out. Here's a link for your entertainment:
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote