Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Drive seat wear

I don't know if this has been covered before but I could'nt find anything.

My car is 20,000 miles only and I have some serious wear on the driver's side back near the door.

I had same issue with C3 Vette and I had to put my hand on the leather to prevent friction when I was entering or leaving the car.

Does any one have the same issue, and did you find a solution, like warrenty from GM?

Car is 2LT-RS

Name:  siege1.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  siege2.jpg
Views: 2567
Size:  141.3 KB
Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Future MDPilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
That's a typical high wear area. I try to be careful when getting in and out to avoid scuffing this area of a seat bolster.
Get in and out like you normally do and I'll bet your body, clothing, wallet, belt, keys, phone are rubbing here. Like you did with the Corvette, sit down, don't slide in.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
montreal2010yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future MDPilot View Post
What is the popcorn thing here for my question, please explain, I don't understand your reaction?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Also check the leather/stitching under the seat belt retention strap. Probably torn and another reason to warranty the seat covers
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
BrandonB956

Drives: RS (11/15/10)
Do u do any type of regular matinence?

Cleaner / conditioner?

Nov.15th 2010 -- Check out my build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116235
BrandonB956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
montreal2010yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonB956 View Post
Do u do any type of regular matinence?

Cleaner / conditioner?
Did put some leather protection-cleaner last fall and I was planning to do the same next week-end, that's why I foud this today.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Sidd218
GM Loyal

Drives: 2006 Impala SS
Last Fall??? I Do mine every month almost and I barley drive it!
Their isn't much you could do to fix it now other than a new seat, but you could still prevent more damage to this seat and others by conditioning them more often, using good material, and just being more careful.
Good luck!

Sidd218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
This is the reason that is keeping me from putting in aftermarket leather. I got cloth from the factory knowing i was going to put aftermarket seat covers in, but i think the aftermarket ones will wear the same way.

I plan on keeping my camaro for a very long time.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
I hate to say it but GM's leather seat covers are thin and cheap.

The trucks are the same way,you have to be careful with no sliding allowed..

You might be able to get them replaced under the 3/36 bump to bump warranty.I would try.

The wife's Volvo seats have got to be 3 times as thick.It is 5 years old and her Daily driver with absolutly no wear and minimal maintenence.
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Motleigh

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS Silver Ice
I had a very similar wear pattern on the cloth seats of my 4th gen Camaro. instead of the cracking of the leather I had thinning of the cloth and a hole started in it. I stitched the hole up and covered the seat with a seat cover. The quicker you can get the hole patched the better. It will just keep getting bigger.

I noticed that I would slide into the seat, which caused the wearing. What finally broke me of the habit was driving my 08 Saturn. for some reason the hard plastic "arm rest" molding on the back doors goes all the way to the front doors and there is a hard corner sticking out right by the seat belt. When sliding down the seat, I would catch my upper thigh on that hard corner. I had a bruise the size of a half dollar for weeks.
I know I could move the seat up a little to clear the hard corner, but at 6' tall,( most of it leg ) I need all the clearance I can get. I learned to get in like I was wearing a tight miniskirt. Sit down on the seat with both feet on the ground, then swing the feet into the car. wha-laa, no more wear on the back of the seat, and no more bruises on my leg.

All women know how to fly...if you take our angel wings away, we'll find a broomstick
Motleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
I have cloth and had wear on the same spot. The dealer replaced without question. Should be covered.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
It's stuff like this that makes me feel that much better that I don't like leather and went with cloth. Some people, and I certainly can't say that's why montreal2010yellow did this, just have to get leather because it's more expensive and a higher model car and everything just has to be top of the line at all times.

Sometimes the better model cars aren't always better.

That having been said, look into the bumper to bumper warranty and see if they can't replace it for you. If they can, keep on it and treat it often. If they can't, look into really good quality seat covers (not those ones you find in car parts retail stores) and cover them up. Sometimes you can even get real leather seat covers...you'll spend a couple of hundred on them...but at least they won't look worn.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
It's stuff like this that makes me feel that much better that I don't like leather and went with cloth. Some people, and I certainly can't say that's why montreal2010yellow did this, just have to get leather because it's more expensive and a higher model car and everything just has to be top of the line at all times.

Sometimes the better model cars aren't always better.

That having been said, look into the bumper to bumper warranty and see if they can't replace it for you. If they can, keep on it and treat it often. If they can't, look into really good quality seat covers (not those ones you find in car parts retail stores) and cover them up. Sometimes you can even get real leather seat covers...you'll spend a couple of hundred on them...but at least they won't look worn.
Yeah because it has nothing to do with the ABL in the doors, gauge cluster and HUD lol

In all seriousness though it is an American car and even though yes isn't by any means in expensive just look at the quality of the Concept Car compared to the Production Car, incredible materials used sure it would have cost more but these crappy seats are one reason it would have been worth the extra $7500 for a good interior even if it was only available on the SS
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote