Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking Report: Next Chevy Corvette to offer small-displacement turbo V8

Report: Next Chevy Corvette to offer small-displacement turbo V8

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on May 25th, 2011 at 5:01PM

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 – Click above for high-res image gallery

According to TheDetroitBureau.com, General Motors is planning to alter its strategy with the next-generation Corvette to appeal to a wider range of customers. Traditionally, the Corvette has always been offered with high-displacement eight-cylinder powertrains, but according to sources within GM, the C7 Corvette may also offer a small, turbocharged V8.

Just how small, exactly? TDB reports that the next Corvette's European-style V8 could measure in at just over 3.0 liters, using an overhead-cam setup and dry sump oil system. With the aid of turbocharging, unnamed GM sources expect that this engine will deliver "in excess of 400 horsepower," or about 125 hp per liter. What's more, the smaller V8 could be of the extremely high-revving nature, with TDB citing that engine revs could handle up to 10,000 RPM.

GM's North American president, Mark Reuss, previously told The Bureau that the C7 Corvette will "target a very different sort of buyer."

However, traditional V8 enthusiasts need not worry, as the story states that a full range of engines will be available, including the classic larger displacement units that have traditionally found a home in the Corvette.

Of course, the rumormill about exactly what's in store for the C7 Corvette continues to swirl. We've heard everything from a mid-engine layout to a split rear window design that pays tribute to the 1963 'Vette. Whatever the case, GM just invested $131 million in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that builds the Corvette and the all-new model is expected to arrive within the next two to three years.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
It's only understandable. Engines can't just keep getting bigger into infinity! (At least not yet. )
Especially something you want to fit into a sports car and keep lightweight!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Crap, now I have to save up for a 'vette. I wonder what moniker will have the turbo 8 if it actually happens. I have doubts about the details, but if it's really a 3.0l turbo 8 that revs to 10k I'm already sold. Slap a bigger turbo on that bad boy and you're good to go spank everything else out there. Plus it will sound unreal.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This is in the split window, mid engined, 2800 lb hybrid Corvette right?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This is in the split window, mid engined hybrid Corvette right?
LOL!

Although, as far as i hear, the split window is the only actual possible real part of that!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Crap, now I have to save up for a 'vette. I wonder what moniker will have the turbo 8 if it actually happens. I have doubts about the details, but if it's really a 3.0l turbo 8 that revs to 10k I'm already sold. Slap a bigger turbo on that bad boy and you're good to go spank everything else out there. Plus it will sound unreal.
I would have a very hard time choosing between a lite weight turbo V8 and the large displacement V8.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
LOL!

Although, as far as i hear, the split window is the only actual possible real part of that!
I never cease to be amazed at how quickly people take the bait on Corvette 'rumours'

I'm not saying its not going to happen but ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I would have a very hard time choosing between a lite weight turbo V8 and the large displacement V8.
Unless they change to a different architecture for that small V8 (which is unlikely, since they're pushing to consolidate their V8 lines not diverge them), its gunna weigh more than a large displacement pushrod V8. No matter the displacement on current production small blocks, the bore spacing is 4.4" and the deck height is 9.025" (IIRC). Overhead cams add weight. Turbos & intercoolers add weight. Building a small engine for forced induction (so stuff doesn't break) adds weight.

Where is the weight savings going to come from? Boring a smaller hole into the block? Wouldn't that end up adding (a little) weight too? Could go with a shorter stroke, but conversely that leads to longer connecting rods ... again, adding (a little) weight. The higher RPMs, plus forced induction mean that internals would have to be incredibly strong. Not that they can't do it but unless they've discovered unobtanium strength = weight.

I see this as little more than a fishing trip by the Corvette team and it sounds like they got a few, hook line and sinker.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Smaller displacement as in 2 less cylinders maybe......direct injection V6 would save a few lbs.

400 HP hummmm sounds like what I am making....LOL
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Hmmm, could they be trying to make the first 400 hp, 40 mpg sportscar?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
JHL88

Drives: 02 z06
if that happens i would be shocked honestly. 10000 redline x2 turbo OHC small disp. v8 corvette. a pretty humongous and bold change IMO. i wouldn't know what to think until i see it perform. if they also offered a N/A bigger cubed engine it would be very dynamic
2002 torch redc5z06 - sold :(
'13 z71 4x4 - DD

www.fquick.com/JHL88
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Like said earlier by someone else, I doubt a DOHC turbo v8 would be lighter than the cam in block v8s offered. What's desirable about it is the ability to spin, crazy strong internals and forced induction. The aftermarket would go absolutely nuts over such a car. Cubes are great, but eventually you just can't increase n/a efficiency any further. If you want easy power, boost it.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
I love the concept, but I think DG3 hit it square on the head with this one. A stand alone, small displacement, OHC V-8 engine program that is going to debut in a car that isn't too far off in the future and we've heard nada about it thus far. It would be a real coup, particularly if GM used such a design to replace their current large V-6 engines. (What would you rather have in your LaCrosse, a 3.6L V-6 or a 3.6L V-8?) But, if this is a program it is very difficult to believe it will be done in time for a next gen Vette.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote