Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
Meltdown
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Secure your load...save a Camaro

About a month ago my lovely bride and I took a roadtrip from Florida to

so I could walk in my graduation ceremony after earning my masters.

On I-20 in TN just before the KY border, some dimwit with an improperly secured load (in a Ford F150, naturally) lost a four-foot length of pipe. Traffic was moving along at about 75mph. I was following at a safe distance, but couldn't change lanes. Hit the pipe at about 40mph.

I was, to put it mildly, irritated. Happily, the damage was just cosmetic. We completed our journey.

I called State Farm. The dimwit I spoke with initially asserted that my Camaro MUST be repaired at their preferred facility. A Toyota dealer. Ten minutes later, we reached an agreement that my car would be repaired at the GM dealer with new OEM parts. To this day, it's unclear if my debate skills or use of profanity that would have impressed a 30-year Navy veteran tipped the scales in my favor.

Shop had the car for three days. I spent 45 minutes going over the car before driving it away. The work was flawless. Props to Lane Buick GMC in Melbourne, FL for a job well done.

Moral of the story: secure loads...especially in Fords

Moral of the story part 2: State Farm pissed me off so badly that I've found a different insurance company. Same coverage. $25 more a month. It's worth it because I'm not paying premiums to a company with poor service.

Afternote: The Camaro is a fantastic road trip car. LOVED it.
Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
SS/RS2010

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
About a month ago my lovely bride and I took a roadtrip from Florida to

so I could walk in my graduation ceremony after earning my masters.

On I-20 in TN just before the KY border, some dimwit with an improperly secured load (in a Ford F150, naturally) lost a four-foot length of pipe. Traffic was moving along at about 75mph. I was following at a safe distance, but couldn't change lanes. Hit the pipe at about 40mph.

I was, to put it mildly, irritated. Happily, the damage was just cosmetic. We completed our journey.

I called State Farm. The dimwit I spoke with initially asserted that my Camaro MUST be repaired at their preferred facility. A Toyota dealer. Ten minutes later, we reached an agreement that my car would be repaired at the GM dealer with new OEM parts. To this day, it's unclear if my debate skills or use of profanity that would have impressed a 30-year Navy veteran tipped the scales in my favor.

Shop had the car for three days. I spent 45 minutes going over the car before driving it away. The work was flawless. Props to Lane Buick GMC in Melbourne, FL for a job well done.

Moral of the story: secure loads...especially in Fords

Moral of the story part 2: State Farm pissed me off so badly that I've found a different insurance company. Same coverage. $25 more a month. It's worth it because I'm not paying premiums to a company with poor service.

Afternote: The Camaro is a fantastic road trip car. LOVED it.

That State Farm guy is an idiot. I've worked in auto insurance....the customer always has the right to a choice of repair shops.
SS/RS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Congrats on the masters and to getting a well done repair. I dropped State Farm years ago.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Congratulations on your graduate degree. How much was the repair?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
$25 more a month? I'd keep searching
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Congrats on the degree. What is it in?

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I just got your little play on words too. Lol

I forgot about that song.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
There was nothing you could do to get the ford owner's information? Better believe I'm catching up to his ass lol.

Glad to see everything is fixed and congrats
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
Meltdown
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Thanks everyone for the congrats. Greatly appreciated. :-)

Couple of questions / comments came up...guess I should have included the info in my initial post.

Masters - MFA in Writing. I specialize in science fiction & essays. I've written one novel & it's in the editing phase. Working on the 2nd novel now. Here's a couple of links should anyone be interested in reading some of my published work.
http://www.potluckmag.com/december-2...yboard?rq=Yoho

http://www.potluckmag.com/april-2016...mmerce?rq=Yoho

NOTE: the 2nd link is a work of fiction and contains loads of profanity. NSFW

Cost of repair - $1742.30 - Nose cap, grille, labor, etc.

Insurance cost - it's a long story...but suffice it to say that my insurance options are limited due to a family member's colossal screwups including 3 wrecks & a DUI. Even though she had her own policy with another carrier, MOST (but not all) other insurance companies look at the entire household when setting premiums.

Cheers!

Last edited by Meltdown; 06-12-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Insurance companys are a joke. Even the damn morons on the road that dont think with there brain. No common sense either. Pisses me off. Sorry about your car.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Sometimes it is impossible to steer clear when a mishap like this happens.
Was momentarily behind a pickup truck going 55 mph that had a couple of huge wood planks in the back.
One of the planks popped out of the truck and when it hit the road it slid and continued to move forward but then started to rapidly decelerate ... wandering back and forth across a couple of lanes in a random fashion. Also looked kind of like a torpedo heading toward me. Looked like the path a bouncing snake would take. Had no idea if I was going to hit it or not but luckily passed to the side of the car.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Last couple years I have managed to dodge a Fiberglass Stepladder, Extension Ladder and a Wheelbarrow

It was early morning and still dark when I saw the wheelbarrow falling out of the truck in front of me, I dove into the HOV lane and the idiot tailgating me hit it head on. I watched the Sparks fly in my mirror as I continued down the road.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #13
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
By using one of State Farms preferred shops the work is guaranteed for as long as you own the car. Not to say where you got it done won't warrenty it, but for how long.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:13 AM   #14
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rat View Post
By using one of State Farms preferred shops the work is guaranteed for as long as you own the car. Not to say where you got it done won't warrenty it, but for how long.
The few times I've had an accident, it seems that where ever I've chosen to take the car it has turned out to be a State Farm Preferred Shop ... just lucky I guess.