Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #43
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
You got your head on straight & nice to see one admit they made a poor financial goof. I waited 47 years to get my first sports car!! Drove 10 & 15yr old vehicles, paid off the mortgage & saved / invested.

Paid cash for the Z...I can promise you there are many members here that are working for their debt when all they need right now is transportation, not a brand new 4, 6 or 8cyl giddy-up. Kudos on the adjustment sir
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #44
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Well I was expecting this kind of dig at me when I posted this. Honestly I'm surprised I didn't get more "why did you buy a car you can't afford?!" The truth is all 4 of my personal cars including the 65K ZL1 are less than 10% of my net worth. I can easily afford the expensive insurance, gas, and depreciation. I can even afford the $8500 I've spent on tires in the last 10 months for the Camaro. I simply can't justify the cost anymore. When I purchased the car I wanted the latest and greatest technology GM has to offer and that's what I got. I knew it was one of the worst financial decisions I've made but I was ok with it and don't regret my ownership experience at all!

After selling the ZL1 all 4 of my personal cars will be paid off and less than 5% of my net. This is where I'd like to be. No doubt there are some serious ballers on this forum from seeing the garage pics but I think I'm more financially responsible than most when it comes to my car addiction...

I'm planning to have a kid soon and am trying to be smart (less depreciating assets). Anyone care to guess what college is going to cost in 2038?

I don’t blame you at all. I love my ZL1, but it’s a second car that is simply for fun. I’ve always thought it was a little crazy when people buy an expensive high performance car to commute in. At 30,000 miles a year, a car becomes nearly worthless pretty quickly. $8k in tires a year is a little nutty too. I could afford that, but don’t think I could justify it.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #45
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I don’t blame you at all. I love my ZL1, but it’s a second car that is simply for fun. I’ve always thought it was a little crazy when people buy an expensive high performance car to commute in. At 30,000 miles a year, a car becomes nearly worthless pretty quickly. $8k in tires a year is a little nutty too. I could afford that, but don’t think I could justify it.
Too each their own. I daily drive a modded C7 Z06, my stock 18 Zl1, and pretty much seldom use my 18 f150 or 16 ctsv. I am not wealthy at all but am damn comfortable and own my house (not quite outright) but my cars are all paid for (except the f150). I find driving boring cars as daily just that (boring). I live in Houston and dailying these cars is very, very common down here. If you can afford a Zl1 what are tires and depreciation? A car is a stupid investment and I don't know anyone who buys one with depreciation in mind. I drive mine like I stole em and never think about miles or resale value.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #46
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Too each their own. I daily drive a modded C7 Z06, my stock 18 Zl1, and pretty much seldom use my 18 f150 or 16 ctsv. I am not wealthy at all but am damn comfortable and own my house (not quite outright) but my cars are all paid for (except the f150). I find driving boring cars as daily just that (boring). I live in Houston and dailying these cars is very, very common down here. If you can afford a Zl1 what are tires and depreciation? A car is a stupid investment and I don't know anyone who buys one with depreciation in mind. I drive mine like I stole em and never think about miles or resale value.
I have a very fun daily driver. But it’s something more practical and less expensive. I’ve done very well with getting money back out of my cars when I’m done with them. But I absolutely don’t buy them as an investment, as that would be dumb.

That said, I feel that daily driving a ZL1 and putting 30k a year on one are kind of two different things. Then again, I live a mile from work and think most commuters are crazy. Doing it in a ZL1 just seems a little crazier. If that makes sense, lol.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #47
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
If you owned your cars outright you'd most definitely think about how big of a slice that is out of your pie. Yes, people often get loans on cars they can't afford. 650 horsepower is cool, 650 lb-ft of torque from the factory is amazing. Point of my response is saving and investing money is also really cool.
I've never had to consider my total net worth in buying any of my many cars. That one factor has little to do a with if I can afford the next hot rod or not. There are many other factors to consider before total net worth. Hell, if we only looked at that far more people would think they could afford more car than they truely can. You must deal in common core math. Cool. Enjoy your at least 10 year old honda.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #48
20181le

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE Coming Soon!
No sure I understand, but guess it is what it is.
20181le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #49
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I have a very fun daily driver. But it’s something more practical and less expensive. I’ve done very well with getting money back out of my cars when I’m done with them. But I absolutely don’t buy them as an investment, as that would be dumb.

That said, I feel that daily driving a ZL1 and putting 30k a year on one are kind of two different things. Then again, I live a mile from work and think most commuters are crazy. Doing it in a ZL1 just seems a little crazier. If that makes sense, lol.
It wouldn't be quite 30K miles because I have a few other cars to drive so more like 15,000 a year. Obviously I don't have to drive it that much or spend 8K plus a year on rubber. The problem is if I own the car I cant help myself! It's getting back to what Mariojmoe was saying about how can you own these cars and not drive them to your hearts content.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #50
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
That is quite the stable of cars you have. That would make any red blooded American jealous. I think I remember you saying that you've got no wife or kids and no plans to. If I wasn't married or had a wife that was into cars my garage might look more like yours. Instead I'll just live vicariously through my single friends and guys like you.

I've been to Texas and it's a great state but the roads are BORING. Living someplace with no canyons or racetracks near by sounds like driving purgatory to me! Granted you can have fun in any of your cars on any road at anytime! The problem with "Hondas" or any 4 bangers not running a ton of boost is you need an awesome road to make them fun!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #51
BMWM.D.

Quote:
It wouldn't be quite 30K miles because I have a few other cars to drive so more like 15,000 a year. Obviously I don't have to drive it that much or spend 8K plus a year on rubber. The problem is if I own the car I cant help myself! It's getting back to what Mariojmoe was saying about how can you own these cars and not drive them to your hearts content.
That’s a little more reasonable. And I totally get wanting to drive it whenever possible. For me though, it just doesn’t make sense during the week. I’d be taking it out of the garage and parking it on a busy street 1.5 miles away. Parking is a bitch and people often aren’t careful/respectful to others property. So I don’t bring my nice cars to work. So I get to enjoy it in my free time, which is totally fine with me.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #52
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
I had been driving my car as a daily from spring to fall but then I traded my Tundra For
a a new 2018 Raptor late July parked the ZL1 for over a month used just the truck and my built CVO Street-glide intending to sell it. Needless to say, after a month with out it, I went home took it out for a rip and said NOPE! This car is going no where LOL. At this point the car will probably get under 4000 miles a year, my bike will be under 4000 a year and my truck will be around 8000 to 9000. I look at it this way, I’m gonna spend money on something it might as well make me happy. Unless you can’t afford the car, keep it and make it a once in a while daily driver, then it stays special, last longer, needs less tires and won’t depreciate as fast��
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote