Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Some of the forum members treat their cars more like a religion...

Life is too short to abide by rigid limits. Drive em all, the day will come when you won't have the chance!
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #30
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlhay2 View Post
Some of the forum members treat their cars more like a religion...

Life is too short to abide by rigid limits. Drive em all, the day will come when you won't have the chance!
This! The A10 ZL1 feels like a car I could enjoy and easily operate well into my 90's if I'm that lucky. A tiny car with a heavy clutch not so much...

The day Chevy can no longer produce big V8's I hope will never come but at least I'll have the distinct memory of what an LT4 sounds like.

It's inspiring for me to see guys at AutoX well into their 60's and 70's and still improving their driving. It really is a hobby you can enjoy for life!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #31
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Happy motoring in you Honda OP. It's pretty common for folks to jump in with both feet on a car they cant afford these day. S2000 is a nice old car. Enjoy.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #32
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I had an S2000 and I'll admit it, that little car was a blast to drive.
Felt like a go-kart on steroids.............
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #33
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Every car I own and have owned gets driven it's a** off and raced on a regular (daily) basis! I'll be damned if I spen that kind of $ on a car to look pretty sitting in my garage. They all get modded, flogged, and posted on my youtube channel when I'm in Mexico (no track for me). Mine don't get sold certified or to friends or ppl I know lol.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #34
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
One of the reasons I went ZL1 was I wanted the least amount of temptation to mod. I'm in California and about the same age, but I do daily mine.

Also have a turbo miata in the garage for the extra tight roads. Needs an engine at the moment, but there are roads here that the ZL1 probably wouldn't be able to keep up with it on. Debating swapping an s2k engine into it.

Coworker has an S2000 that will smoke my ZL1 on a pull.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #35
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Happy motoring in you Honda OP. It's pretty common for folks to jump in with both feet on a car they cant afford these day. S2000 is a nice old car. Enjoy.
Well I was expecting this kind of dig at me when I posted this. Honestly I'm surprised I didn't get more "why did you buy a car you can't afford?!" The truth is all 4 of my personal cars including the 65K ZL1 are less than 10% of my net worth. I can easily afford the expensive insurance, gas, and depreciation. I can even afford the $8500 I've spent on tires in the last 10 months for the Camaro. I simply can't justify the cost anymore. When I purchased the car I wanted the latest and greatest technology GM has to offer and that's what I got. I knew it was one of the worst financial decisions I've made but I was ok with it and don't regret my ownership experience at all!

After selling the ZL1 all 4 of my personal cars will be paid off and less than 5% of my net. This is where I'd like to be. No doubt there are some serious ballers on this forum from seeing the garage pics but I think I'm more financially responsible than most when it comes to my car addiction...

I'm planning to have a kid soon and am trying to be smart (less depreciating assets). Anyone care to guess what college is going to cost in 2038?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #36
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Well I was expecting this kind of dig at me when I posted this. Honestly I'm surprised I didn't get more "why did you buy a car you can't afford?!" The truth is all 4 of my personal cars including the 65K ZL1 are less than 10% of my net worth. I can easily afford the expensive insurance, gas, and depreciation. I can even afford the $8500 I've spent on tires in the last 10 months for the Camaro. I simply can't justify the cost anymore. When I purchased the car I wanted the latest and greatest technology GM has to offer and that's what I got. I knew it was one of the worst financial decisions I've made but I was ok with it and don't regret my ownership experience at all!

After selling the ZL1 all 4 of my personal cars will be paid off and less than 5% of my net. This is where I'd like to be. No doubt there are some serious ballers on this forum from seeing the garage pics but I think I'm more financially responsible than most when it comes to my car addiction...

I'm planning to have a kid soon and am trying to be smart (less depreciating assets). Anyone care to guess what college is going to cost in 2038?
Don't let the cost digs get to you. You sound solid and that's not what anybody should be saying. I find it funny that some people will pound their chest about a $65k Camaro or trading through 1 car at a time. Yes, for a lot of the world, it's quite expensive. But by no means are you in a super elite class with one, it's still a Chevy, not a Pagani or Koenigsegg. There are many things I could easily afford that I could never justify and therefore don't do, and the most successful people I know don't engage in activities that they can't justify. Everybody's definition is different. For some on this forum, the ZL1 costs nearly as much as their house and when the insurance/tire bill comes, they have to scrimp in other places.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #37
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Don't let the cost digs get to you. You sound solid and that's not what anybody should be saying. I find it funny that some people will pound their chest about a $65k Camaro or trading through 1 car at a time. Yes, for a lot of the world, it's quite expensive. But by no means are you in a super elite class with one, it's still a Chevy, not a Pagani or Koenigsegg. There are many things I could easily afford that I could never justify and therefore don't do, and the most successful people I know don't engage in activities that they can't justify. Everybody's definition is different. For some on this forum, the ZL1 costs nearly as much as their house and when the insurance/tire bill comes, they have to scrimp in other places.
Thank you, very kind words!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #38

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I must be losing my mind but I've decided to sell my A10 18' ZL1. After 10 months of pure driving joy, I felt like I was ready to move on. If I could afford to drive it everyday I would keep the car. God bless all of you out there who say mileage be damned and drive their ZL1's as many miles as they damn well please! I bought the car thinking that at 32 years old I was past my tuner car days and wanted something that just works. The agreement with my wife was I could get the car I want and not modify it. It was between the GT350 and ZL1, which was a very easy decision...

I guess my tuner car days aren't behind me because I bought a low miles supercharged AP1 S2000 as a replacement. It makes like 300 whp and no torque but I'm finding joy in working the gear box. I know many will disagree but I felt almost too young for the Camaro, like it was too comfortable and I should have baby seats in the back. Guess I'm still a kid at heart. My ideal car would be sub 3000 pounds with big NA power and since no manufactures make such a car I plan to build my own. As far as what chassis it's still up in the air but something Japanese with an LS3 comes to mind.

Hopefully I will own another ZL1 one day and I'll drive it till I die or the wheels fall off. I tend to drive 30,000 miles a year so even split between a few cars it adds up quick. Fortunately many of the miles are on beautiful country roads where you don't need a lot of power to have fun. I have recently started a car dealership so I'll post a link to the car below. The car has Xpel paint protection film covering 100% of the car along with ceramic coating on the car and wheels, cost me about 5K. The price on the car will come down until it sells! I don't regret a second of my ownership experience (at least the driving part).

https://www.schneehoffmotors.com/inv...tails/45351751

Just go up a couple hundred pounds and get a Corvette...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #39
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

Haha, I never looked at my overall net worth as a gauge to being able to truly afford something like a car. Im not seeing that logic at all. Your post itself read like you were dropping it for financial reasons. It really wasnt was dig at all ,but rather a statement of what we see time and time again these days. Going back to at least a 10 years old car or older would suggest financial issues too. Like I said, enjoy your Honda.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #40
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Haha, I never looked at my overall net worth as a gauge to being able to truly afford something like a car. Im not seeing that logic at all. Your post itself read like you were dropping it for financial reasons. It really wasnt was dig at all ,but rather a statement of what we see time and time again these days. Going back to at least a 10 years old car or older would suggest financial issues too. Like I said, enjoy your Honda.
If you owned your cars outright you'd most definitely think about how big of a slice that is out of your pie. Yes, people often get loans on cars they can't afford. 650 horsepower is cool, 650 lb-ft of torque from the factory is amazing. Point of my response is saving and investing money is also really cool.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #41
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Quote:

No need to explain your situation to anyone, you do what you want for whatever reason you want.
For those that have to put you down to make themselves feel superior, Fck'em
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #42
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
I came from an S2000 and can see the draw, to each there own! Enjoy!
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote