Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Time to retire my ZL1 from track duty

Well, after 10 track days in the first 7500 miles of owning the car I feel like it's time to retire her from regular track duty while the car is still in one piece. I had an amazing time and don't regret a second of it! But there have been some issues along the way. Exhaust heat melting the rear bumper and overheating transmission have been the main 2. Yes, I have an A10 and yes I am 100% sure the trans fluid is set to the correct level!

Unfortunately on my tenth and final track day the ZL1 broke down on track. A chunk of the rear drivers side tire tore threw the cheap wheel well liner tearing the wiring harness for the fuel pump in the process. This was my first time having a car breakdown on track and I guess I just never thought it would be a brand new ZL1. Luckily it was the last session of the day.

You could easily blame the tire instead of the car and mostly I do. They were a set of Michelin Sport Cup 2's, the first set I've had. This was my third track day on them but the 2nd one was a very rainy day, which was interesting to say the least. But I didn't go through much fuel or tire that day, it was pretty fun sliding the car around turns at 30-50mph with all traction off. Took me the better part of the day to build up the courage.

Back to the tires my personal experience with Michelin is they make a great street tire but not the best track tire. The Cup's 2 did provide excellent grip the first day I had them and felt much stickier than the stock Goodyears but the grip seemed to fall on it's face after one hard track day. The day the car broke down the tires still looked like they should have plenty of life in them but they were chunking away like a cheap street tire. Now I thought Cup's 2's were suppose to be an amazing tire and they damn well should be to justify the price. Does anyone run them and love em? Did I get a defective set? Did I heat cycle them out on the street or something? Even though the stock Goodyears don't offer the same level of initial grip I found that they still gripped well almost down to the cords and the grip lessened progressively instead of falling off a cliff. Went back to the Goodyears and am happy about it.

Understandably Chevy wouldn't cover the wiring harness under warranty and they charged $300 to fix it. Michelin agreed to pay for the damage but I opted to warranty the tires instead because it meant a lot more money in my pocket and I do enjoy the Michelins on the street so I won't mind having a new set on one of my other cars.

I never felt any loyalty towards Ford or Chevy before buying the ZL1 but having the gt350's rolling past me at the end of the day on their way home while I'm broken down waiting for AAA hurt my pride...

I've considered selling the ZL1 because I've already had so much fun with it! I often feel like if I were to "upgrade" to something like a GT4 I wouldn't get hit as bad by depreciation. But driving it on the street for the last 1000 miles has reminded what an amazing street car it really is!! Depreciation be damned the ride is out of this world. Also this is the first car I've ever had where I haven't had the urge to modify which saves me quite a bit. Although I commend all you 2.9 whipple guys out there!

Long story long the car is staying and will be seeing much more street time than track miles but I'll still have a smile on my face. Never tried drag racing before have always loved canyons and turns but tomorrow night I'm going to take the car to the drag strip in Bakersfield. Any advice for a first timer in the 1/4 mile? I've heard all traction off works best? With the A10 I have high hopes going to be sad if I can't break 11.5.

Lastly, I'm on the hunt for a dedicated track car. Something I can buy for 35K or less. Any suggestions aside form spec Miata? I'm looking at the Mazda GT's built by 7's only racing at Buttonwillow. Purpose-built tube frame
2-piece fiberglass body, 1800 lbs, 13B Peripheral port, 4-speed Jerico transmission, Dual adustable Penske shocks. If you made it this far thanks for reading my rant!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Joszer

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Sorry to hear that man, after dropping a pretty penny on a set of Cup2s on my old vette, I was completely disappointed by how fast they heat cycle. Hope to see you out there with another car man. I'd give the ZL1 another shot with a set of R888Rs
Joszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The A10 makes the Z an awesome street car. Sounds like you have seen that.

I think you've talked me in to sticking with the Goodyears for the track.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Not when a tire caused the damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Slate993tt

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1 1LE
I think there are more GT350 owners out there having engine failures at the track than is acceptable. I saw another one go down at Willow Springs just 2 days ago.

I don't blame you for wanting a dedicated track car. If you have the budget, and the trailer and you buy one that someone else has already built(so you don't take the loss in $$$)it's a great way to go. I've been there before and have a 4-5 year plan to buy a used TA2 car to use. In the meantime the ZLE is proving itself to be an excellent Track Day street car.

Good luck with your search.

Chad
Slate993tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Sounds about right for Cup 2’s.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Not only that. It wasn't the OEM tires that failed. Michelin lovers can say what they want, but I think Goodyear flat out got it right with the OEM ZL1 tires. There doesn't seem to truly be a better option for all around use.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
for $32-35K get a good used SS 1LE and make it your track toy or $38-40K for a new one
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Not only that. It wasn't the OEM tires that failed. Michelin lovers can say what they want, but I think Goodyear flat out got it right with the OEM ZL1 tires. There doesn't seem to truly be a better option for all around use.
I would argue the PS4S's are better as an all around tire...for a track tire, the Goodyears are going to be the best...

However, the GY's are shit on the street...and had I known they were going to be that bad.. I'd have pulled them off day one...and saved them for later..
Old 05-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
ZL1Tracker

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I used to run SC2's on my Porsche and yes they drop off fast even if the tire still looks like it has a lot of tread still on them.

I now run Hoosiers on both my Porsche and ZL1 1LE at the track and they shaved 4 seconds off my time and I can run 3 track days with no issue plus with the Hoosier I can run 315s in the front which create amazing breaking and turning.

On the brake fluid, did you change it to a higher temp oil that can handle the extra heat from braking at the track?

Before you retire the car, might want to throw on a set of Hoosiers R7s, there a little less expensive then the SC2's and 100 times better and you should be able to whoop on those Mustangs with them.

This was me over the weekend...

ZL1Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote