Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Full tank of gas on track at Laguna Seca

Well, I'd like to share with you guys that I was able to achieve 1 of my goals on Friday which was to stay on track for a full tank of gas at Laguna. It took about 39 min and I was loving every second of it! In the past I've had to get off at 26-28 min on track because of the trans fluid overheating, both times at Buttonwillow. I've been meaning to swap the fluid myself but still haven't gotten around to it (too busy tracking and working to pay for tires!). Granted this was a different track and a slightly cooler day about 60 degrees. Both days I had a problem at Buttonwillow it was 65-70F outside.

I still have an appointment this week with a different dealer (hopefully more knowledgable) to do a full diagnostics on the transmission and replace the fluid. Unfortunately I don't think I was able to reach my goal of breaking into the 1:39's. The 90db sound limit certainly doesn't help. I experimented with going fully off line all the way to the left away from the sound booth without lifting thinking I'd lose less time but I was still too loud at 96db. Most of the day I was upshifting to 7th gear past sound with half throttle. Until I got meatballed at 94db for doing that. The rest of the day I started upshifting to 8th going up the hill with about 50% throttle past the booth. That's what I would recommend for those with the A10 who don't want to get the boot and pass sound. Although I would say that's playing it safe as I definitely saw cars going much faster and seemingly louder than me past sound.

In order to crack 1:40 I think I will need to A) go on a 103db day or b) become a much better driver. I was able to gain a lot more confidence staying on the throttle over the crest into turn 1 reaching speeds close to 130mph but I was still slightly lifting and I know the car can get to 136mph there, you just need BIG balls.

If anyone has any advice for me on how to quiet the car down and pass sound please share! I don't think turn down pipes or "laguna pipes" are an option with the way the stock exhaust is designed. It really kills some of the fun having to lift through what I think is one of the most exciting parts of the track. Love Laguna but man do I hate the stupid 90db sound limit!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
What were your Buttonwillow lap times?
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
GrabTheWheel

1:58's on corded stock Goodyears. I've yet to go back on Cup 2's. I thought that was fast as under 2min for a street car is normally considered pretty quick but since then I've learned that is actually pretty slow...

I guess the ZL1 1LE is capable of 1:49's! The regular ole ZL1 is probably 4 seconds or so off that pace. I'd love to see some ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE track time comparisons if anyone has some? I haven't been able to find many at all.

I'd love to see a comparison where Randy or another pro driver laps both on the same day then swaps tires on the ZL1 so we can see what percentage of the time difference is rubber and what percentage is aero and suspension.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I typically use a quarter of a tank per session when I go out.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
one thing I do is look at other drivers (with the same car) track session video's to see what thier lines are and get an idea what speeds they are running through specific areas on the track.

obviously you have to work your way up there and not go balls out all at once.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
GrabTheWheel

Nighttowl, that is very efficient! Maybe the M6 uses less gas? Only time I've ever managed that was in the rain. I'm normally close to a 1/2 tank per session. I always have to look twice at the gas gauge on my way home and laugh because with a full tank the computer will say my range is like 75 miles.

My normal street driving is 9mpg. I can't imagine what kind of milage the guys on E85 with a big whipple blower are getting.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 03-11-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Fabricate up some 90* bend exhaust tips that you can run at Laguna, that'll do the trick.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
GrabTheWheel

Seanblurr, I was told by my local muffler shop and others because of the double sided thickness of the stock exhaust that Laguna pipes that I could easily take on and off would not be possible. If you know someone who makes them please do tell.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
dgreenberg

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 #352, ‘16 ACR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Well, I'd like to share with you guys that I was able to achieve 1 of my goals on Friday which was to stay on track for a full tank of gas at Laguna. It took about 39 min and I was loving every second of it! In the past I've had to get off at 26-28 min on track because of the trans fluid overheating, both times at Buttonwillow. I've been meaning to swap the fluid myself but still haven't gotten around to it (too busy tracking and working to pay for tires!). Granted this was a different track and a slightly cooler day about 60 degrees. Both days I had a problem at Buttonwillow it was 65-70F outside.

I still have an appointment this week with a different dealer (hopefully more knowledgable) to do a full diagnostics on the transmission and replace the fluid. Unfortunately I don't think I was able to reach my goal of breaking into the 1:39's. The 90db sound limit certainly doesn't help. I experimented with going fully off line all the way to the left away from the sound booth without lifting thinking I'd lose less time but I was still too loud at 96db. Most of the day I was upshifting to 7th gear past sound with half throttle. Until I got meatballed at 94db for doing that. The rest of the day I started upshifting to 8th going up the hill with about 50% throttle past the booth. That's what I would recommend for those with the A10 who don't want to get the boot and pass sound. Although I would say that's playing it safe as I definitely saw cars going much faster and seemingly louder than me past sound.

In order to crack 1:40 I think I will need to A) go on a 103db day or b) become a much better driver. I was able to gain a lot more confidence staying on the throttle over the crest into turn 1 reaching speeds close to 130mph but I was still slightly lifting and I know the car can get to 136mph there, you just need BIG balls.

If anyone has any advice for me on how to quiet the car down and pass sound please share! I don't think turn down pipes or "laguna pipes" are an option with the way the stock exhaust is designed. It really kills some of the fun having to lift through what I think is one of the most exciting parts of the track. Love Laguna but man do I hate the stupid 90db sound limit!

Laguna tips with turndowns pointed towards the ground and slightly in the opposite direction seems to do the trick. My ACR has long tubes headers, no cats, and straight through exhaust, and did not clock in any more than 99dB @ the last 103dB day. It is definitely louder than 103dB when measured properly and straight on, but by the time the exhaust tip is pointed at the sound booth I’m already entering turn 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgreenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
seanblurr

Well, it may not be ideal but you can always drill a hole and use a screw to secure a laguna tip. Another option would be to have a four piece system: The laguna tip, a bent piece of flat iron to go over the flared tip, and two hose clamps, one clamp for the exhaust tip car side, and another for the laguna tip.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Well, it may not be ideal but you can always drill a hole and use a screw to secure a laguna tip. Another option would be to have a four piece system: The laguna tip, a bent piece of flat iron to go over the flared tip, and two hose clamps, one clamp for the exhaust tip car side, and another for the laguna tip.
The stock tips aren’t removable without cutting them, and fabricating modular attachment systems to both sets of tips. Not impossible, but not exactly super easy and cheap without the right skills, Parts, welder etc.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #12
seanblurr

I think maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Let me see if I can draw up a diagram.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #13
seanblurr

Who knows if this would actually work, random idea that just popped into my head. So basically you take your typical 90* bend in just the right diameter to slip inside the factory exhaust tip. I did this on my SS 1LE and it worked great. The problem as we see with the ZL1 is the flared end, so instead of having a bracket welded to the 90* bend, you have the bracket seperate and you bend that bracket (a piece of flat iron) to fit over the flared tip. You then secure that bracket using an exhaust clamp to both the factory muffle tip and the 90* bent pipe. You only need these on the two outside tips, not all four.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #14
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
That would seem like it would work Sean, but it would require a capable "fabber" to get it done right.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote