Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
My new track car

I sold my ZL1 to build this car mostly to save money on tires and brakes after spending over 7 grand on tires in 1 year. Thought some here still might enjoy since it's a Chevy at heart. Please excuse the fowl language as I was getting a bit frustrated.

GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
philpacs

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10
Nice ride. I would love to see your build sheet? How is the balance on handling with that V8 anchor? Looks great.
philpacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
HA! I think we all have said some things we don't want anybody else to hear after being behind someone who either doesn't look in their rear view or has much ego

Nice car!
Old 09-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpacs View Post
Nice ride. I would love to see your build sheet? How is the balance on handling with that V8 anchor? Looks great.
Car still handles great! You don't really notice the extra 120 lbs with triple the torque. You do notice the car has a slightly higher CoG in the front end but honestly most of the extra weight is in the trans. Car still only weighs 3150 lbs with a full tank and me in it and a full interior, I'm 190. Next up is motec dash and JRZ dampers. I hadn't been to the track in a year so it took some time to get use to the speed again. Obviously the car is much easier on tires than the ZL1 and also twice as efficient on fuel while maintaining a better power to weight ratio. ZL1 being 6 lbs per HP and Chevubaru is 5.4 lbs per HP. Biggest difference was how fast the A10 shifted and how much more grip the car had. I was 2 1/2 seconds behind the lap times I was doing in the ZL1 but having way more fun! I was able to get 2 laps per gallon instead of 1, managed 140 laps for the weekend with about 70 gallons of E85.

Build Parts List:

Motec M130 ECU
OEM Alternator Bracket
OEM AC Compressor
Callies Compstar H Beam Connecting Rods
Diamond Racing Pistons, Custom Spec LS3 11:1 Flat Top
Comp Cams Camshaft (Custom Spec) Timing Set And Gears
LS To T56 Magnum Bell Housing
T56 Magnum 2.66 First Gear
Vorslag LS To BRZ Trans and Engine Mount Kit
Radium MC Brace
Radium LS3 Fuel Rails
Whiteline Front and Rear Bars
ID1050X Injector Dynamics
DSS 600HP Axles
Radium Surge Tank With 2 Walhbro 450 Pumps
CX Racing LS Swap Headers For BRZ
LS Swap Radiator Hose Kit
MSD Custom Length Ignition Wire Set
SPAL 12" HP Slim Fans
LS3 Engine Aseembly, Long Block 6.2L Aluminum
Comp Cams Max-Lift BSR Shaft Rocker Kit Chevy LS3
Comp Cams Dual Spring Kit With Retainers And Keepers
Setrab 25 Row Series 9 Oil Cooler Core
M22 Adapter For Top Of Oil Cooler
Improved Racing LS2 Oil Pan With Baffle, Pickup, Dip Stick And Windage Tray
Mantic Twin Disc Clutch Kit
Ethanol Content Sensor With Fittings
Coolant Temp Sensor
Alternator ACDelco OEM New
TR55 Spark Plugs NGK
Water Pump Gasket
Idler Pulley
Harmonic Balancer
OEM Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Water Pump OEM
Cam Position Sensor
OS Giken Differential
3.73 Ring and Pinion
GM Throttle Body For Swap
OEM Starter
3" Tips Stainless Steel
QTP Screamer Muffler, Integrated Cutout
Improved Racing Oil Cooler Adapter
Short Shifter Adapter, Tremec
Clutch Pilot Bushing
2x Resonators, 2.5" Piping, 3.5" Piping, 02 Bungs, Misc Supplies
AC Compressor Adapter Billet
Driveshaft, Custom Length
Raceseng Circuit Sphere 150 Shifter
AC Belt, Stretch Fit
Serpentine Belt
K&N Air Filter
Alternator And Starter Power Cable
-8AN Fittings For Oil Cooler
Adapters For Fuel Filter
Silicone Adapter For Water Pump
Custom Length, High Strength Trend Pushrods
ARP Main Studs
Crane Rocker Shims
King Racing Rod and Main Bearings, Custom Spec
Front and Rear Seals, Front Cover Seal
Johnson High Performance Race Linkbar Lifters
Melling High Volume Oil Pump

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 09-02-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Very nice! That's one long list...how much did that set ya back? Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #6
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Very nice! That's one long list...how much did that set ya back? Cheers!
Lets just say between the price of the car and build I could have a lightly used C7 Grandsport which would probably be faster unless I throw aero and Hoosier R7's on my car but that's not why I built it. ZL1 is hands down the most performance you can get for the money at the track (we're talking street cars), no if ands or buts about it. I got to experience it for a year and did 10 track days, 3 autoX's and a night at the drag strip along with 14K wonderful miles on the road. At the end of the day no matter how fast it was, how good the brakes and grip were I still missed being in a lightweight car you could trail brake everywhere. Problem is now I was hooked on the LS power plant. Everyone tells me I should have just bought a C6 but I find it hard to believe you can get them down to sub 2900 lbs and still have all the basic street amenities as well as enjoying the shorter wheel base.

So despite how fast it was and being the Swiss army knife of cars that literally performs outstanding everywhere road course, drag, autoX and street driving it can't be beat. ZL1 was 4 to 5 times more expensive to run, the build should pay for itself over the next 5-10 years compared to running the ZL1. I guess you could call me a fanboy but I have a connection with this chassis that I haven't felt in any other car, not caymans or evoras or corvettes.

My plan is to keep double duty street and track driving the build until I can buy a C8 2nd hand for under 50K as a street car; then go full on track build with the Chevubaru.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 09-02-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Lets just say between the price of the car and build I could have a lightly used C7 Grandsport which would probably be faster unless I throw aero and Hoosier R7's on my car but that's not why I built it. ZL1 is hands down the most performance you can get for the money at the track (we're talking street cars), no if ands or buts about it. I got to experience it for a year and did 10 track days, 3 autoX's and a night at the drag strip along with 14K wonderful miles on the road. At the end of the day no matter how fast it was, how good the brakes and grip were I still missed being in a lightweight car you could trail brake everywhere. Problem is now I was hooked on the LS power plant. Everyone tells me I should have just bought a C6 but I find it hard to believe you can get them down to sub 2900 lbs and still have all the basic street amenities as well as enjoying the shorter wheel base.

So despite how fast it was and being the Swiss army knife of cars that literally performs outstanding everywhere road course, drag, autoX and street driving it can't be beat. ZL1 was 4 to 5 times more expensive to run, the build should pay for itself over the next 5-10 years compared to running the ZL1. I guess you could call me a fanboy but I have a connection with this chassis that I haven't felt in any other car, not caymans or evoras or corvettes.

My plan is to keep double duty street and track driving the build until I can buy a C8 2nd hand for under 50K as a street car; then go full on track build with the Chevubaru.
Thanks for the detailed response! Yep the Camaros are fabulous dual purprose cars, but not the cheapest to run.
My cost of consumables jumped rather considerably going from a track bulit C5Z. Anyhow, yours looks like a very well thought out built - congrats! I am intrigued by the C8 as well, but will wait to see where Camaro goes over the next little while and how they compare as dual purpose cars going fwd. Not planning on going back to a trailer queen - a life style decision i suppose.
I bet you'll have tons of fun chasing down uber marques with your Chevubaru! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Nice ride and what a list of mods! Maybe I missed it, but is the car using more spring up front to support the weight of the LS3?
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.nichols View Post
Nice ride and what a list of mods! Maybe I missed it, but is the car using more spring up front to support the weight of the LS3?
Right now I'm on some RSR sport coilovers that are really just meant for the street. Spring rates are 6K front and 7K rear. I'll be upgrading to JRZ or MCS dampers here soon. Spring rates will most likely be 9K front and 11K rear.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.nichols View Post
Engine is only like 40lbs heavier...
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote