Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #29
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam79 View Post
Hello,

Is Brembo 4 piston Calipers considered Heavy Duty or only 6 Pistons are heavy duty?
Mine 2.0 6S came has a Brembo 4 piston and this was an upgraded option, but saw another one with a larger rotor and caliper which was a six piston Brembo.

I am under the assumption that Brembo 4 piston are standard and six pistons are additional options. Is that correct? or is there a smaller OE caliper other than the Brembo 4 Pistons?

Thanks,
Suresh
There is a smaller non Brembo caliper that comes standard. The 4 piston Brembo is considered heavy duty on the 2.0 and v6 cars, it is an upgrade from the standard. The 6 piston Brembo is yet another upgrade option that would be considered "better" than the 4 piston Brembo...

My car has the standard small brakes. I believe they are 2 piston, but I'd have to look close. I know the rear brakes are single piston on my car.

You can actually see a picture of the standard small brakes back on post #17
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=17

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-28-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #30
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
Thank you Jason. I couldn't think of anything smaller than the 4 piston Brembos that would be sufficient for a Camaro. The other OE one looks too small :-(

Regards,
Suresh
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #31
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Well...to those who have the 4 pot brembos. Either taken from the SS or the GM upgrade kit....

How are they???

I have the stock 1LT base brakes and they do their job decently. SS takeoffs will be on my car someday. Love how we can use the hand me downs!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #32
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
Well...to those who have the 4 pot brembos. Either taken from the SS or the GM upgrade kit....

How are they???

I have the stock 1LT base brakes and they do their job decently. SS takeoffs will be on my car someday. Love how we can use the hand me downs!
Tearing up my favorite downhill (about 15km of crazy switchbacks and downhill 'sweepers')
I encounter no fade and push the car deep into the corners while braking on the late side... Very confidence inspiring; I think just fluid and maybe a pad with some more initial bite would make this setup track worthy. (wouldn't mind adding the brake cooling ducts though for added piece of mind)

The brakes bite just as hard at the bottom of the hill as they do the top
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #33
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
That is just sick on the Chevelle, great work!
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #34
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post

How are they???

Got the car back and after driving it for a 20 min there seamed to be much more braking then I remamber.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #35
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
All we did was buy new V8 bolts, it all fit, the backing plate was off the V8 car to.
I am assuming the backing plate different on the V8?

I bought the calipers from a member on here but he didnt include the backing plate.

Edit: I also got the rear calipers but no rotors or backing plate, do you have any mounting info on the rear?
If it's different maybe ill have to get it from the dealer...
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #36
Camar05

I just got off the phone with the chevy parts guy and supposedly, all the dust shields are the same

They had 2 part numbers for the fronts, which one says "for track use" but both are for $66/pair

And same number for rear at $44/pair
Old 11-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #37
Jason@JacFab

From checking part numbers last week, I gather that the dust shields are the same also. I ordered the hoses and bolts, and in theory all I need to get is the rotors.

I'm hoping to try and bolt the calipers on in the next few days to make sure they bolt up to the stock caliper brackets before I order the rotors.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #38
Camar05

Any idea what rotors or pads you're going to run? I have searched a few discussions on here but I'm not sold yet.

As of now I'm lookong into stock rotors and Powerstop Z26 pads (daily driver). Dealership was wanting $200 for the pair of rear pads lol
Old 11-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #39
Camar05

The rear SS rotors are 140 each from local dealership

Might be a good idea to upgrade all 4 rotors all the way around.

I plan on creating a Info post with everything was gather
Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #40
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Here is a fun fact, at SEMA GM had a autocross car, in the front they had a the SS brakes and on the rear it was the stock non HD brakes, that tells me there is no need to update the rears.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #41
Camar05

I was doing it for aesthetics, not performance. It would look weird to me with nice powder coated brembo up front and cast brakes in the back
Old 11-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #42
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar05 View Post
Any idea what rotors or pads you're going to run? I have searched a few discussions on here but I'm not sold yet.

As of now I'm lookong into stock rotors and Powerstop Z26 pads (daily driver). Dealership was wanting $200 for the pair of rear pads lol
I'll probably just run the stock pads until they go bad, as they only have 14k miles on them.

For rotors, I'd be looking for Centric Stop-Tech Sport, but they don't seem to have them yet. Maybe the Power Stop brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Here is a fun fact, at SEMA GM had a autocross car, in the front they had a the SS brakes and on the rear it was the stock non HD brakes, that tells me there is no need to update the rears.
Good to know. I had no plans on updating the rears. That said, I may not even put the brembo's on the front if they won't clear my 17" race wheels.