Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
My first Paint correction, and it's a DOOOZZYYY!!!

I've decided I would like to detail cars on my days off for some extra cash, and just because I really enjoy doing it!!

My first customer was my nephews Black Silverado. I'm pretty sure in it's 7 years of it's life it (nephew just bought it used) never was taken care of or had any protection applied to the paint. It's probably the worse paint I've ever seen, except for maybe a car in the junkyard!! I knew this was going to be allot of work!!

I started off by washing the truck with a mixture of Adams Shampoo and APC. After that I dried it off with a Adams drying Microfiber and blowing out all the crevices.

Next I "clayed" the car using the Nanoscrub system. I'm absolutely in love with it and will never touch a clay bar again I broke in the Nanoscrub on the glass on a setting of 2 on my DA. Then attacked the paint wich felt like sandpaper. Not only did the paint feel buttery smooth once I was finished, but the paint looked much shinier once done because the Autoscrub actually removed the oxidation. All this in 30 minutes!!!! Would have taken me over an hour with a clay bar garunteed, a sore arm and results wouldn't have been as good Heck, my nephew stopped by after I finished with the Nanoscrub and he thought I had already started polishing because he could now see his reflection in the paint!!! LOL!!! Only picture I have of the truck in it's 100% original state is the tailgate because I didn't do any correction work on it because it's getting repainted because of a few big gouges in the paint. Rest of the pics are after the Nanoscrub.

I decided to give the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System a try on this truck as a simple Swirl and Haze remover wasn't going to do the trick!! In total from start to finish, from washing the truck, correcting paint and clear coat on rims, Sealing Glass with Adam's Glass Sealant, sealing rim's with Wolf's Nano Rim Shield to dressing all the trim with Adams VRT I had about 16-18 hours invested!! That was no interior clean up and no engine wash/detail. That is coming at a later date.

Most of the truck took 2 try's at 6 passes each to get nearly flawless paint. Some area's took 3 try's!!! Some scratches were threw the clear coat and those got left as good enough after 3 try's. All in all the Meguiars DA MF System worked AWESOME!! My nephew's truck I finished off with the D301 so he will be a good test bed for how long that paint sealant will last. He takes his truck in dusty area's when he goes dirt biking so not babied in anyway at all. In the fall he wants a repolish and a Opti Coat 2.0 application.

Alrighty, so now some pics. Picture of his tailgate shows just exactly how rough the paint was

Hood was in horrible shape, pretty sure the truck got washed with some kind of hard bristled brush. Hood is also full of rock chips and will need a repaint eventually.

Next are some 50/50 shots of the passenger side rear quarter panel

And finally some finished shots

Really looking forward to my next job as I don't think it can get much worse than a pickup truck with beaten up black paint!!
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
Great job. You sir have a future detailing.
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
the rich dude

I also gave the headlights and taillights a quick polish with the Megauirs MF System as they were looking a little hazy, look as good as new now and only added a few minutes to the whole job
Old 08-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Nice job. Sometimes those trashed cars are the most fun because the changes are so dramatic.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
the rich dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by black. View Post
Great job. You sir have a future detailing.
Thank you
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
the rich dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Nice job. Sometimes those trashed cars are the most fun because the changes are so dramatic.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
True, true!!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
the rich dude

One thing I must add is I'm already ready to upgrade to a Flex The Meguiars DA was great, never bogged down and performed like a champ. But for these heavy correction jobs I think some Meguiars 105 compound, MF Pad and Flex DA would cut the compound, polishing time down by a good few hours...

Keep the Meguiars DA for Nanoscrub use and other small tasks and use the Flex for some more serious correction power
Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Bet your nephew was happy!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
That looks great! Awesome job!!!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Looks really good. You got the knack for sure.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Great Job Dude!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
the rich dude

Thanks allot guys, appreciate the kind words
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Very nice....
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #14
9072SS/RS

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS RS
can you post pics of your choice of products and polisher/pads.
9072SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote