Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
I'm not worried about it. I have a non-RS w/ Sylvania SilverStar Ultra headlights. And fog lights!

Just saying I would be pissed if I bought the RS package and couldn't use my fog lights. It's a stupid idea. And I'll stand by that statement unless someone comes up w/ a counterpoint better than "Oh yeah...well your headlights suck" or "You have a bad attitude" or "You mis-stated the packages on your car" or "It's not a dumb idea but I installed a wiring harness to correct it" lol.
You must be 16 years old, that explains everything. You can stand by whatever makes your heart content, but honestly, If I were a Camaro owner (which I am), I would be more "pissed" if I had anything less than a 2SS/RS.

What makes your arguement so bad, is that you would be able to see GREAT in FOG, but in a really dark part of town, with your awesome fog lights, and dull headlights, you would probably encounter a deer or animal that would total your car because you couldnt see far enough with your awesome fog lights and sylvania superstars!!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
You must be 16 years old, that explains everything. You can stand by whatever makes your heart content, but honestly, If I were a Camaro owner (which I am), I would be more "pissed" if I had anything less than a 2SS/RS.

What makes your arguement so bad, is that you would be able to see GREAT in FOG, but in a really dark part of town, with your awesome fog lights, and dull headlights, you would probably encounter a deer or animal that would total your car because you couldnt see far enough with your awesome fog lights and sylvania superstars!!

Sorry man, but I just have to say that all the cars I've seen on here that have hit deer and such HAVE been RS's. Anyway, your point is still valid except, I"m happy that I have a 2LT. LOL! Have a good day!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #31
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
Sorry man, but I just have to say that all the cars I've seen on here that have hit deer and such HAVE been RS's. Anyway, your point is still valid except, I"m happy that I have a 2LT. LOL! Have a good day!
That statement wasn't meant for anyone but me honestly, that's why I said "I would be pissed". IhasaCamaro made a comment about trim models, so I used his own joke against him.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
OK most people here say their trim level, not the lack of their package.

But to clarify I have a 1SS Non-2SS Non-RS Non-ZL1 Non-1LE Non-V6
Now you're just being a dick.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #33
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I read my owner's manual, except the part about the lights. I have a 1SS so the fog lights are where the fog lights go, and the fog light switch turns the fog lights on and off (interesting concept, no?). When it's foggy out, the fog lights illuminate the area just in front of and to the sides of the car to see the lines on the side of the road (especially the "fog line").

The 1SS uses the headlights as DRL's, which is what I did before I had automatic DRL's (I would run my lights in the daytime as well as at night, and by lights I mean headlights).

HID's are great, but it seems the way Chevy did it is completely stupid and confusing, and to delete the fog lights is stupid too. Regardless of how bright the HID's are, they aren't illuminating the area just in front of and to the sides of the vehicle as well as fog lights could because fog lights are placed on the bottom of the vehicle by the road where fog lights should go. Draw a straight line from the headlights to the bumper and continue it to the road, and that's the closest spot in front of the car they can illuminate, which isn't directly in front of the car.
Why are you so concerned about what is 2 feet in front of you to start with? You don't drive by what's at the end of your hood, you drive by what's way out in front of you. When you sit in the drivers seat can you see this small area that the fogs/DRL's illuminate that your headlights don't? No you can not so why does it matter if it's illuminated or not? It doesn't matter. If the fog's purpose was to illuminate the road then why is that fog's are actually aimed up and are aimed up higher then headlights? It's because they wasn't meant to illuminate the road, that's the job of the headlights.

By the way you keep talking it shows that you have no clue why fog's was originally put on vehicles to start with or their true purpose. Your typical halogen headlight does not have the ability to effectively pierce through fog and thus requires the help of another set of lights to do so sufficiently. HID's do not have this problem and can effectively pierce fog allowing the driver to see on their own thus eliminating the need of fog lights. If you take two identical cars into a fog, one with halogen headlights and fog lights and the other with HID's, the car with HID's will have better visibility then the other. This is why all manufacturer's who have HID's on their cars, not just GM, has eliminated the fog lights, because they flat out are not required and no longer accomplish their original intended purpose which is aiding the headlights in piercing the fog.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #34
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Why are you so concerned about what is 2 feet in front of you to start with? You don't drive by what's at the end of your hood, you drive by what's way out in front of you. When you sit in the drivers seat can you see this small area that the fogs/DRL's illuminate that your headlights don't? No you can not so why does it matter if it's illuminated or not? It doesn't matter. If the fog's purpose was to illuminate the road then why is that fog's are actually aimed up and are aimed up higher then headlights? It's because they wasn't meant to illuminate the road, that's the job of the headlights.

By the way you keep talking it shows that you have no clue why fog's was originally put on vehicles to start with or their true purpose. Your typical halogen headlight does not have the ability to effectively pierce through fog and thus requires the help of another set of lights to do so sufficiently. HID's do not have this problem and can effectively pierce fog allowing the driver to see on their own thus eliminating the need of fog lights. If you take two identical cars into a fog, one with halogen headlights and fog lights and the other with HID's, the car with HID's will have better visibility then the other. This is why all manufacturer's who have HID's on their cars, not just GM, has eliminated the fog lights, because they flat out are not required and no longer accomplish their original intended purpose which is aiding the headlights in piercing the fog.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #35
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
You must be 16 years old, that explains everything.
Nice one.

Quote:
You can stand by whatever makes your heart content, but honestly, If I were a Camaro owner (which I am), I would be more "pissed" if I had anything less than a 2SS/RS.
Nice one.

Basically you are saying "Your car sucks!" I'm the immature one? lol. This is off-topic but to be brief, there is nothing I like in the 2SS/RS package that can't be done after-market better for less money, or added a la carte w/ factory components.

Quote:
My argument is that it's stupid to delete the fogs in the 2SS package, not that halogen is better than HID. And don't worry I don't out-drive my headlights. Never been in an accident in hundreds of thousands of miles.

My point is that GM could have used the HID's or the halos for running lights and not deleted the fog lights. If you've ever driven in thick fog you'd know headlights reflect back at you, and fog lights project to the sides enough to see the fog line and keep your car on the road. My Evo had HIDs + fog lights. New mustangs have HID's + fog lights. Camaros don't. And it's stupid.

Last edited by iHasCamaro; 04-12-2012 at 08:30 PM.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #36
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro/ss/rs View Post
I have a 2SS/RS and looooove my daytime running lights they look fab! One happy camper here.
Honest question: Does it look different than having fog lights on?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion, but:
"Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...ront_fog_lamps

They aren't to "pierce through fog" the are to illuminate the area directly to the front and sides of your vehicle when it's foggy because headlights reflect off the fog and blind you. That's why you don't turn on high-beams in the fog.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #38
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
and, apparantly a bad attitude.
I'm sarcastic...but not like more like
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #39
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
OK most people here say their trim level, not the lack of their package.

But to clarify I have a 1SS Non-2SS Non-RS Non-ZL1 Non-1LE Non-V6
Just thought the phrase "not the lack of their package" was funny.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #40
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
Just thought the phrase "not the lack of their package" was funny.
Oh I see what you did there...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #41
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Oh I see what you did there...
My teenage boy sense of humor coming out.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #42
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
My teenage boy sense of humor coming out.
Never lose it. It gets replaced by taking things too seriously.