Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
LVDran

Drives: 2010 V6
Steering wheel shaking.

Ok... I bought new wheels/tires for my car about a month and a half ago. On the drive home after getting them put on I noticed that the steering wheel would shake at about 50-55 mph then get progressively worse at higher speeds. Took the car back for re-balancing and that helped a lot but there was still a mild shake. The guy at the tire shop said to put maybe 1000 miles on them and it should go away. It never totally went away.

Well about 2 weeks ago my local dealership dinged my wheel and gashed my tire badly. They fixed the wheel and replaced the tire, but now the shake is back and WORSE. Took it back to the dealer for re-balancing and it really did no good. Both the dealer and tire shop swear they are perfectly balanced. My service guy at my dealership suggested that my brake rotors may be warped. I would find this hard to believe considering this started happening the day I got new wheels/tires. But before I look into any of that does anyone have any suggestions or experienced this before and figured it out?

Thanks in advance.
LVDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
9072SS/RS

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS RS
i would suggest putting your foot down when you take back to the dealer. Be as professional as you possibly could be, sounds like you need to start at the top re: service manager and if that doesn't get you anywhere ask to speak with the GM. seems like a easy approach and you should get it taken care of.
9072SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
LVDran

They offered to cover the bill if I take it elsewhere and they fix the problem. But yeah, this is getting pretty frustrating considering it should be an easy fix.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
First of all the guy at the tire shop saying to put a 1,000 miles on them is wrong, there should not be any issues from the get go if it was done right.
Go back to the tire shop and have the tires dismounted and just the wheels only put on a spin balancer to check the wheel for up and down hop or side to side wiggle. My guess is your going to find out it has a side to side wiggle IF the wheels are the problem.

Edit;
I failed to continue. If the wheels check out then it probably may be the tires, which might explain why the shaking decreased after a bit of time.

Last edited by mickss; 07-25-2012 at 07:20 AM.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDran View Post
Ok... I bought new wheels/tires for my car about a month and a half ago. On the drive home after getting them put on I noticed that the steering wheel would shake at about 50-55 mph then get progressively worse at higher speeds. Took the car back for re-balancing and that helped a lot but there was still a mild shake. The guy at the tire shop said to put maybe 1000 miles on them and it should go away. It never totally went away.

Well about 2 weeks ago my local dealership dinged my wheel and gashed my tire badly. They fixed the wheel and replaced the tire, but now the shake is back and WORSE. Took it back to the dealer for re-balancing and it really did no good. Both the dealer and tire shop swear they are perfectly balanced. My service guy at my dealership suggested that my brake rotors may be warped. I would find this hard to believe considering this started happening the day I got new wheels/tires. But before I look into any of that does anyone have any suggestions or experienced this before and figured it out?

Thanks in advance.
Experienced same problem, and this was the culprit. Got the rotors refinished under warranty and no more problem.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
What wheels are they? A lot of aftermarket wheels use hub centric rings. If you do not instal these the wheels won't be perfectly centered when bolted to the car. The wheels themselves may be perfectly balanced but if they are bolted off center on the car they will vibrate.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
GibbyGil

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
What wheels are they? A lot of aftermarket wheels use hub centric rings. If you do not instal these the wheels won't be perfectly centered when bolted to the car. The wheels themselves may be perfectly balanced but if they are bolted off center on the car they will vibrate.
^This was the problem, when I put my aftearket wheels on. I forgot to put a hub centric ring on one of my front wheels and that caused the shaking
Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
If the rotors were warped you will feel the brake pedal pulsing whenever you taped on the brakes at any speed .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
LVDran

Thanks for all the input guys. Going to have the wheels looked at Friday at the place that did them. Hopefully we figure this out. :/