#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-19-2020, 05:08 AM   #1
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Exclamation Help, I'm on my own

OK, so I got overly excited about the opportunity to have a nice sportscar again. Dreaming about rumbling my ZL1 down Sukhumvit and around Thailand's highways turned my crank. And then the easy opportunity to modify the beast to about 1000 horses with Hennessy's setup (Australian version) makes me want to park and idle 1000 America horses next to Ferrari's store However, after reading some of these threads, my demeanor has changed a bit. So, I've just dropped the deposit for a new RHD ZL1 from Australia. Being mesmerized about having another killer car made me pull the trigger without thinking this through completely. So here's what I've got myself into. I'm in Thailand as I said. Chevy doesn't sell Camaro's or Vettes here. Furthermore, Chevy very recently said it was pulling out of Thailand and sold it's factory here to some Chinese company So I've been reading the threads here, special oil, diff oil, Error Codes You know, I've been a car guy forever, Even my modded '02 Spirit R Rx7 was pretty straight forward. I could yank the engine and wrench on everything pretty much myself. Everything was simple and mechanical. But I'm not sure I haven't bitten off more than I can handle here. Who here does all the maintenance on their ZL1? I'll buy a lift here if I must to do what I can. But with all this new error codes, CODES??? and special need fluids, what else? Actually, I didn't buy an M4 because I can't work on it. This old bird is getting a little concerned. I don't want to just trailer/show/sell it for a profit cause I have no support from GM here. I want to drive her; that's why I bought her. Am I just unreasonably freaking out here, or is there legit concern about this. Do I need a special computer to tell me if something is wrong with the car? I did read the fluid change points on another thread. OK, this I can manage easily if I can get the fluids over here. Anything else I should know? Any and all help would be helpful? The car comes in a month so I want to be prepared.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Take a deep breath & relax.

There are some maintenance things that are recommended, yes. The 500/1500 is mostly recommended for track usage. You also don’t have to use 0w-40. It states right in the manual 5w-30 is acceptable.

Secondly, understand what is on this forum is, I would surmise, a small subset of ownership.

If you can get a lift, that’s cool & will help with many things. I don’t have one & manage to change my own oil.

There are many OBD scanners on the market you can get. Heck even an Elm Scan & Torue app get the job done.

On the bright side, since warranty is going to be non-existent, you don’t need to worry about modding it, right? Get an HP Tuner or EFI live & work with a US based tuner.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Agree with gtfoxy... No worries as on the forums you will see every little problem that comes up but that is a small percentage. I've owned 3 ZL1s and never had a single problem. Just a normal oil change, tires and brakes. I do have HP Tuners to check codes but never had to use it. The electronic part is pretty solid and you can always get tunes or changes mailed to you very easy.

One thing I would not do is your Hennessey mods for two reasons. There are way better mod routes to go and they are triple the price for the cheapest of parts and you won't have any support over there. Their shop is about 75 miles from me here. Also, modding is probably the only place where all your concerns will come into play so I suggest keeping it conservative and spend some time here first.

I'm super excited to see one going to Thailand. I've made 6 trips to Bangkok and always stayed at the Intercontental on Sukhumvit. I can't even imagine seeing a ZL1 down there and can't wait to see the pics.

All in all I'm sure you will be fine. Just take your time on the mod part because that's where you could end up needing help.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
I think that the car will be fine although you'll surely have to import all parts. You might want to consider buying HPTuners so that if a problem does show up, you can have someone remotely diagnose or even tune it.

That being said, I can't imagine driving a ZL1 in Bangkok traffic. I spent 5 weeks there earlier this year. Stayed at the JW Marriott on Sukhumvit and worked in Mahachai. I thought that I knew what bad traffic was until I went to Bangkok...
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
These cars hold up pretty good. If you need parts hit us up. We have some amazing international shipping rates

That car has to stick out so much over there. Should be pretty awesome.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I agree with everyone else in this thread. Don't fret, even though the ZL1 has a bunch of computer modules like everything these days, this is still a "normal" car Do not shoot for the ragged edge with your mods and you'll be fine.

The error codes (OMG CODES!! ) are readable with a plain OBD-II device just like with all other cars, and if you buy HP Tuners+credits, you're all set for anything you ever may want to do in terms of diagnostics and tuning.

Any internet forum amplifies every little issue and exhibits owners' often skewed perceptions, so it's easy to fall into the worry trap, but ZL1s are exceptionally well designed and reasonably well made, plus even if you do encounter a (rare) issue, you will find definitely support both here and from many reputable vendors and shops. I have zero issues with my modified SS and the ZL1s definitely have even fewer outstanding potential problems than my car.

If I were you, I'd spend these weeks of waiting doing research, getting part numbers for planned upgrades, reading up on procedures, getting recommendations from forum members and tuners—and most importantly, building anticipation for a true American masterpiece that you will certainly enjoy and cherish.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Agree with gtfoxy... No worries as on the forums you will see every little problem that comes up but that is a small percentage. I've owned 3 ZL1s and never had a single problem. Just a normal oil change, tires and brakes. I do have HP Tuners to check codes but never had to use it. The electronic part is pretty solid and you can always get tunes or changes mailed to you very easy.

One thing I would not do is your Hennessey mods for two reasons. There are way better mod routes to go and they are triple the price for the cheapest of parts and you won't have any support over there. Their shop is about 75 miles from me here. Also, modding is probably the only place where all your concerns will come into play so I suggest keeping it conservative and spend some time here first.

I'm super excited to see one going to Thailand. I've made 6 trips to Bangkok and always stayed at the Intercontental on Sukhumvit. I can't even imagine seeing a ZL1 down there and can't wait to see the pics.

All in all I'm sure you will be fine. Just take your time on the mod part because that's where you could end up needing help.
Yeah, I'm a little paranoid about electronic codes, but if you'all say it's no problem and that I just need some equipment and have to learn it, I'll learn it. And Yes, idling down Sukhumvit will be the bomb. I will put some type of American Colors on it. I'm a little worried about the width and bikers actually.

Lastly, I'm not really going through Hennessey. It's this Australian company, KPM motor sport, who's in bed with Hennessey. I will fly them up here and have them do it. Not that I couldn't if I had to. But since I've never wrench on this engine before, or anything like it actually, or the electronics of this engine. I'd much rather have a company that's done this a few times on this block and knows exactly what to expect.

Am excited about this car.....
Old 10-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7LitreC5 View Post
I think that the car will be fine although you'll surely have to import all parts. You might want to consider buying HPTuners so that if a problem does show up, you can have someone remotely diagnose or even tune it.

That being said, I can't imagine driving a ZL1 in Bangkok traffic. I spent 5 weeks there earlier this year. Stayed at the JW Marriott on Sukhumvit and worked in Mahachai. I thought that I knew what bad traffic was until I went to Bangkok...
To avoid the jam, you just have to know the time. Timing is everything (and use google maps extensively).
Old 10-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
Yeah, I'm a little paranoid about electronic codes, but if you'all say it's no problem and that I just need some equipment and have to learn it, I'll learn it. And Yes, idling down Sukhumvit will be the bomb. I will put some type of American Colors on it. I'm a little worried about the width and bikers actually.

Lastly, I'm not really going through Hennessey. It's this Australian company, KPM motor sport, who's in bed with Hennessey. I will fly them up here and have them do it. Not that I couldn't if I had to. But since I've never wrench on this engine before, or anything like it actually, or the electronics of this engine. I'd much rather have a company that's done this a few times on this block and knows exactly what to expect.

Am excited about this car.....
Yeah you're going to need some protection around the corners will all the bikers and everyone else for that matter. I guess 93 Octane isn't a problem there either.

I'm guessing KPM knows some place with a dyno in Bangkok.

This has to be a first.. This will be the coolest ride ever. If I get another trip over I'm definitely looking you up
Old 10-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yeah you're going to need some protection around the corners will all the bikers and everyone else for that matter. I guess 93 Octane isn't a problem there either.

I'm guessing KPM knows some place with a dyno in Bangkok.

This has to be a first.. This will be the coolest ride ever. If I get another trip over I'm definitely looking you up
12;30am, just cant get enough of this forum.... Learning about the issue with the TTY fastener bolts that hold the rear alignment. I guess Ill have to buy 10,000 bolts somewhere since Thai road, which usually are ok on the main highways, can be horrid out in the provinces. Thinking of upgrading the rear suspension already just so I don't have to deal with alignment issues all the time like the other guys on the very active thread "left to right full throttle", cause I often drive full throttle. Can't believe GM used fasteners like this for something holding the camber of the rear end. This is just part of the payment I guess of owning this type of car here. It's fine. I got you guys to help me now. I got a condo in Bangkok close to BKK and my house is up in Udon Thani. So the road trips are going to be a lot more pleasurable than in my CRV, LOL. Yes, We have 95 gasohol (10%). And when I bring KPM up here, and I already asked them, they accepted (and who wouldn't take a free trip to Bangkok), I might have them switch me to E85 which is prevalent here. And yes, come on over, I'll buy you a beer on Soi Cowboy, LOL. When commercial flights resume.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
12;30am, just cant get enough of this forum.... Learning about the issue with the TTY fastener bolts that hold the rear alignment. I guess Ill have to buy 10,000 bolts somewhere since Thai road, which usually are ok on the main highways, can be horrid out in the provinces. Thinking of upgrading the rear suspension already just so I don't have to deal with alignment issues all the time like the other guys on the very active thread "left to right full throttle", cause I often drive full throttle. Can't believe GM used fasteners like this for something holding the camber of the rear end. This is just part of the payment I guess of owning this type of car here. It's fine. I got you guys to help me now. I got a condo in Bangkok close to BKK and my house is up in Udon Thani. So the road trips are going to be a lot more pleasurable than in my CRV, LOL. Yes, We have 95 gasohol (10%). And when I bring KPM up here, and I already asked them, they accepted (and who wouldn't take a free trip to Bangkok), I might have them switch me to E85 which is prevalent here. And yes, come on over, I'll buy you a beer on Soi Cowboy, LOL. When commercial flights resume.
Ha Ha... I saw this post and my 1st thought was you must never sleep. I always loved coming from CST not even having to change my watch.

Some of those posts about multiple alignments are crazy. You might need to do it once... or not even at all. This isn't something every car does. My 2017 did it but my 2019 does not. TTY bolts are not a big deal and easy to get if you do ever need a pair. If going to E85 you'll end up having to swap injectors but with some of your other mods this would be required anyway.

Soi Cowboy is a bucket list item for any guy LOL. We used to hit up Cowboy2 down there.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
getchapull
TEXIT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
The only thing you need to worry about is how many Thai hoochie mamas you can stuff in the back seat.
getchapull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by getchapull View Post
The only thing you need to worry about is how many Thai hoochie mamas you can stuff in the back seat.
Hmmmm...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  42.4 KB
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #14
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by getchapull View Post
Yum!! I do loves me some Asian women.
Attached Images

Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote