Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Ravis22

Drives: Hyper blue ZL1
All season vs winter tires

I’ve read a number of posts here and people recommending the pirelli sottozero 3 for winter tires. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a good all season tire that fits the OEM wheels?

I don’t plan to drive my ZL1 in the snow or rain, but I would like to be able to drive it on a nice day that is just below 40 degrees.

Appreciate any info, thanks.
Ravis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I used all-season in past, when I converted to winters (Michelin X-Ice3), it was such a BIG improvement in traction that I will never go back. Unless you beach it or start plowing it, no fear in the snow or ice.

This time around, I knew all-season were not even option, so I went straight to winters.

Blizzak LM-32 in 275 on 10" wheel.. couldn't find anything narrower w offset I wanted to give me fitment I wanted.

Winter - bring it ON.

Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
There are numerous discussions about all-season tire options in the "Wheels & Tires" section. After you factor the cost of OEM size tires and the cost to mount and balance the tires each season you may decide that a nice set of SS fitment wheels with all-season tires is a better option in the long run.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I have 265/40/19 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec tires. On 19x10 wheels w/30mm offset, all 4 corners. Fronts use 7mm spacers and longer wheel studs.

Amazing performance on cold, dry pavement. The car is still fun to drive. WAY softer vs the OEM summer tires but good grip, predictable handling, and a nice ride.

All Season tires will vary in terms of compound, some may be better than others at low temps, but performance winter tires were designed for good performance on cold, dry pavement.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
My view is that "All-Season" tires are a tradeoff on both ends and the middle.
So I Bought New rims with Michelin PS4'S for Summer and I have Pirelli Sottozero 3's on the Stock rims for Winter.
I don't drive in deep snow either, but the Sottozero 3's allow me to drive in frigid temperatures and to still be able to push the car if I want to have some cloverleaf or on ramp fun! The Sottozero 3's are PERFORMANCE Winter Tires.
I've had 2 other sets on my previous Camaros and for me they are perfect in Winter.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
My view is that "All-Season" tires are a tradeoff on both ends and the middle.
So I Bought New rims with Michelin PS4'S for Summer and I have Pirelli Sottozero 3's on the Stock rims for Winter.
I don't drive in deep snow either, but the Sottozero 3's allow me to drive in frigid temperatures and to still be able to push the car if I want to have some cloverleaf or on ramp fun! The Sottozero 3's are PERFORMANCE Winter Tires.
I've had 2 other sets on my previous Camaros and for me they are perfect in Winter.
Nice! I think that's an ideal, although pricey option.

Obviously not ideal for deep snow but we do have clearance limitations and no 4wd so I'd guess very few are going to take on deep snow on unplowed roads.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Intimidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Nice! I think that's an ideal, although pricey option.

Obviously not ideal for deep snow but we do have clearance limitations and no 4wd so I'd guess very few are going to take on deep snow on unplowed roads.
If you are out, snd a surprise snow storm blows up, you will get home safely...the snow and ice mode on our cars is Fantastic.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
IF you have appropriate tires.. if you are out in PS4S for example... one slight hill and you're SOL.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Don't know how you guys do it...my 10 day forecast ranges from 64 to 86 for the highs.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
Intimidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Don't know how you guys do it...my 10 day forecast ranges from 64 to 86 for the highs.
Imagine 20 degree air flowing into the blower!!!lol
Old 12-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Imagine 20 degree air flowing into the blower!!!lol
LOL...I can't keep the factory rubber sticking on the blacktop when it's in the 70's. I mostly imagine needing an AC cooled steering wheel!! The fact a heated one comes standard tells you where the designers live. I don't even know where to turn it on.

No joke, it snows here once every 100 years!! A hard freeze where it gets below freezing for 24 hours kills the citrus industry & part of the local economy. The threads on winterizing our cars are quite sobering on how far apart our worlds are. Man, I complain about our summers but no way could I handle what you guys deal with this time of year!!

Merry Christmas!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:26 AM   #12
GT in KC

Drives: 2017ZL1
All season just fine

I don't drive my ZL1 in snow or ice, only cold, dry sunny winter days in the midwest which can be few an far between. I do just fine on my Conti DWS06 on a separate MRR wheelset. I personally disagree that the performance gap between a good all season and winter tire in the dry is much at all, and I think tire companies do a good job of suppressing related performance data on cold, dry pavement. The little data I have found favors a winter tire's stopping distance by only a few feet. Like someone else mentioned, getting great traction on anything other than a summer performance tire in a high hp car is laughable, so I don't worry and just enjoy the occasional winter joyride. I do a square setup with all season so I can use them for burners if I please before switching back to summer rubber. I agree winter/snow tires are better on ice and snow than most A/S patterns, but I don't drive on ice or snow.

Somebody show me cold weather performance data on a dry surface.

G.
GT in KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #13
VADERZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I don't drive in snow but cold and wet no problem. Running BFG Comp2 AS in 285/35/20 and 305/35/20 on stock wheel 2018 Z11. Daily driver average about 100 miles a day.
VADERZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #14
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
For my 1LE I run 285/35 and 275/35 on the stock wheels, I highly recommend the Comp2 A/S
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote