The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-09-2021, 05:35 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
An open letter to my Dad

We lost my Dad Monday, December 6th after a short illness (NOT COVID). But he had been fighting Parkinson's Disease for almost 20 years, which left him all but unable to do his favorite things, except for the short periods when he was "good," and could move around. He tinkered with his 1979 Corvette endlessly (so much so we are having it sent to a shop to "undo" all his tinkering LOL) so it can be driven and enjoyed by me, my brother and the grandkids. So "dad's" Corvette is going to be staying in the family.

I'm attaching the last two pics of me and dad, taken right before the Parkinson's (which he was already fighting) came down like an anvil and curtailed the majority of his physical activities. These pics were taken after I had a screaming gut NEED to do a pic of Dad & his vette and me & my Camaro. It was also taken in the winter...minutes after my wife took the pics, and dad put the vette away, we had a blizzard which would have prevented the pics from ever being taken.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Dad,

I've been trying for the last few hours to write down the things that have been going through my mind the last few days. Thoughts and memories of growing up. Things we did together, just you and me, things you taught me and things I learned and picked up from you, the effect you had on how I turned out as a man and a father, but there is just too much to write down. I was always very proud of having you as my dad, so much so, that I followed in your footsteps and became a police officer. Now I understand better about you, maybe not exactly how you felt, but with a better understanding of what it's like to be a young man with a wife and small children and having a career that consumes you more and more. Now, having walked a similar path and being close to the retirement end of my career, I have even more respect for you. When things come up, I start to find myself asking "How did Dad get through this?" Or, "How would Dad handle this?" Unfortunately, talking wasn't a strong point for either of us, so we never had any of those deep conversations that may have given me some insight as to what I should do. Maybe we could have used a bit more of Grandpa Wally in us, who wasn't afraid to give an opinion, or talk about anything.

There is so much more that I want to say, but it all boils down to this, I love you Dad, always have and always will.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2021, 05:41 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Beautiful, sorry for your loss.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
So sorry for your loss. What a beautiful letter
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Priceless pics! You're a good son and I'm sure you made your Father proud.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
I’m so sorry for your loss, and yet so glad you had such a great Dad. With all he taught you, and the relationship you shared, he lives on through you and those around you. This is all too familiar to me, and a very touching post. Thank you for sharing. Best wishes for you and your family. I hope that you all find comfort now and in the future.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
My condolences for your loss.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
He must have been a great guy.
My sincere condolences and I wish him that he can ride the heavenly R66 without fear and take care of your family from heaven.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #8
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Very sorry for your loss!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing. I never understood how tough life can be until I became a father and realized one of us has to say goodbye some day...
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
craigk777

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/RS
Sorry for your loss.
craigk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
My condolences to you and your family!! What an awesome letter and those pics are priceless and will be your forever memories! Just know that whenever you take either car for a spin, he will be right there in the passenger seat every time! Comfort and healing to you all!!
Old 12-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #12
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Dude, I have no words...

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:21 AM   #13
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Sorry for your loss.

I can see a lot in your dad and mine. We chose different careers paths. Me in law enforcement and him in plumbing but either way we both have taught eachother many many many things. We share a common interest in cars, as he had a 68 chevelle followed by a 73 Gran Prix with a 4 speed 400 and me with my 13 SS 1LE. But I can say my father has taught me everything I know about cars. We have range days and we both work on my car. I also played football since I was 7 years old and he's been the best coach and mentor. Weird how I can't tell him that in person. Id like to think that our actions speak louder than words. We spend more us time than we us time than we used to.

Thank you for that.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #14
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Your Camaro family is here for you. Sorry for your loss.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote