Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
Exclamation Is this dealership in the right?

Hey fellow 6th gen owners,

I’m about to make my 6th gen purchase. A 2019 1LE.

I’ve secured financing through a local credit union, and the dealership still wants me to fill out a credit application.

I asked them why, when I’m funding the purchase through my credit union.

They told me me, that they need me to fill out the application, because it takes 5 days for the check to clear from the credit union.

I’m not to keen on people running my credit, especially when I’m not purchasing directly through them.

Is this common practice?
Attached Images

Tyestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I think so. Last month, we bought a Lexus RX350. We paid by check but the dealer still wants to run my credit because the check will take a few days to clear.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Tyestick, the cars I bought thru my credit union over the years I never filled out a credit application at a dealership. Of course the last couple of Camaros I bought I did fill out a credit app to get better financing rate than my CU. But in my thinking like you that if you are doing your own financing then I wouldn’t know why you should fill out the online app. Maybe some other folks can chime in because I’m not an expert on credit/credit rating matters.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I've bought 2 different cars with checks from my credit union with no credit check from the dealership... and they were both in other states.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
They will run it.

Give them a fake SS and write Do Not Pull my credit report and be done

I paid cash and they wanted my info.

Did what l am suggesting and was done with it

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #6
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Get a bank check... good as cash. You can also transfer the funds by wire. Takes about an hour. Tell them it’s your way or you’re backing out of the deal!
Old 06-08-2019, 02:36 AM   #7
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
I got a preapproved car loan through my CU up to a specific amount. When I purchased my car, the dealer simply called the CU, and they transferred the money to the dealer. Real easy, no credit check. The dealer was over 100 miles from my house.
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:32 AM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Your dealer is an idiot.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Yeah not necessary
Old 06-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #10
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Get a bank check... good as cash. You can also transfer the funds by wire. Takes about an hour. Tell them it’s your way or you’re backing out of the deal!
Agreed!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I would only do it if they could get me a better rate. I had financing in hand when I bought my most recent vehicle and the dealer asked me if they could get me a better rate through the same bank would I be interested. I said yes and they saved me like half a point, IIRC. So, I was ok with them wanting info for that purpose.

Otherwise just bring a bank check with the correct amount. That should be accepted by them the same as cash. If it isn't, then tell them thanks yo'll buy elsewhere.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Not correct bud, my wife works for a insurance company that does banking and unfortunately there are con artists that can make fake bank and credit union checks.

And NO on the other post that said give a fake SS number.. not even going into that one.

Options: As posted above do a wire transfer and your done. Or which this would not be my favorite but you could tell them to hold the car until check clears. I just had a buddy that bought new Tahoe and he refused to do a credit check because he was paying cash (bank check) they wouldn’t just take it so he went down to the bank with the salesman to get it confirmed for the dealer.

When I bought my Corvette I told the dealer what bank the checks were drawn on and had them confirm funds were in place a head of time. When I got there they tried to says we needed a credit check I said “see ya“ and the changed there tune but, that has been several years ago. I think now they are more strict plus your buying a high dollar car.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 06-10-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
They are only doing that because they want to see if they can beat the APR with their banks. But in any case, no, they do not have to run your credit or have you fill out a credit application at all. You are not applying for credit. You are already approved, the financing is taken care of, all they have to do is their end of providing the vehicle.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #14
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
I wrote a personal check (~$25,000 + trade) for the car I bought previous to my Camaro, and did not need to do any application, credit check, etc.