Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #29
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
Making it level in this car is super easy, as all you have to do is mount the projector straight in the housing. On reflector retrofit is a little more challenging, but all you got to do is mount the lamp on a fixture, turn it on with a halogen bulb in it and mark the light output at the wall. Then hollow out the lamp, install the projector with HID on, turn it on and match the light output on the wall. You can use window weld, which sets pretty quick, or 5 MIN JB weld for those.

On this car, there may be some trimming to do on that plastic center piece, but I think it will be pretty straight forward.

Quote:
But in curious if we were to use D2S bulbs what all would we need to change?
Easier than you think. All you need is the D1S-D2S convertor that TRS sells, which is just an ignither.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...onversion.html

But for that price, I would rather get their XB55 ballasts which at $40 more.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #30
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
As stated above, the reflector on our car is junk... And it is a D1S bulb, which means the igniter is IN the bulb. I asked around trying to get a set of lights, broken, whatever... to see the feasibility to do a bolt on retrofit using a better projector. Second, the lens is a fresnel lens, which disperses light better, but at the cost or lumens. They are not bright at all. Heck, my wife's Honda Odyssey projectors at 10 times better than ours (Honda makes one of, if not the best projectors on the market).

I have a set of EvoxR projectors (upgraded copies of a Hella E55) that I will be retrofitting into the Camaro. Don't know when, as I am trying to get some OEM projectors, to see if I can make a jig to just swap them instead of the tedious JB weld or window weld method.
If you manage to get this to work, ill be interested in buying a set from you

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #31
Maiden69

Well, car got hit Tuesday, sitting at a body shop waiting for USAA to go appraise the damage... I may go over there and ask the guys to pull the headlights out while they work on it so I can do the retrofit... going to call TRS to see if they can send me some projectors (pay for them and return the ones that I don't use without been charged restocking fees) to try out. I am inclined to use the 4TL-R, just because I love the TLs output. But I also want to use the EvoX-R that I have as they are based on Hellas E46 design and the lows are good, but the high beams are a beast.

So, hopefully, I will update soon. Unless the body shop don't cooperate, LOL
Old 12-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #32
Maiden69

Quick update. Retrofit is done... couldn't be happier with the results other than I ended up burning a corner on the first headlight. This lights are huge and it sit to high on my oven, also, I used 250 (which I always use for regular butyl rubber sealer, and the stupid lights have perma-seal. I guess I should had watched the Phasteak video first.

It is almost a plug-n-play, you have to "mill" 1/4" deep between the OEM projector mounting points to clear the 4TL-R lens holder, elongate the lower mounting holes and round up the top edges. But other than that the OEM bracket have a straight line for the "horizon" marker on the cut off shield which means that at least you will be straight on the light output. The main problem will be aligning the step, as the OEM are not centered... but GM placed an adjuster on one of the upper bracket mounts.

I also upgraded the LED driver to a Velleman 350-700mA driver and the LED to a 3W 700mA unit. It is brighter, but not as bright as I want it, so I may end up going with some 5mm high flux LEDs and make my own halo under the OEM one.

After disassembly I noticed why the output was so dim... both bowls were burnt. I will try to take some pics today to post, but I didn't took any of the projector assembly. Also, opening this lights IMO is a pain in the butt compared to butyl... just less messy.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #33
Maiden69

That is why the headlights on my car sucked balls... my guess is that the previous owner had a 55W D2S conversion and swapped it out when he sold the car, or that the GM projector (which is made in CHINA) is a piece of garbage to begin with.

Also, the step in the projector lens with the frosted (freshnel) lens don't help a bit with light output.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #34
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Woah that's crazy! Do you have any pics of the process during the retrofit? I'd love to see how you mounted the projectors. I'm looking to use Morimoto D2S projectors
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #35
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
I think the frosted appearance is meant to smooth the light pattern. These TYC replacements do throw some nice light but the beam is spotty in places near the front of the car.

Quote:

That is why the headlights on my car sucked balls... my guess is that the previous owner had a 55W D2S conversion and swapped it out when he sold the car, or that the GM projector (which is made in CHINA) is a piece of garbage to begin with.

Also, the step in the projector lens with the frosted (freshnel) lens don't help a bit with light output.

blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #36
Maiden69

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Woah that's crazy! Do you have any pics of the process during the retrofit? I'd love to see how you mounted the projectors. I'm looking to use Morimoto D2S projectors
No I didn't. The D2S is a 3" projector, the car is 2.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
I think the frosted appearance is meant to smooth the light pattern. These TYC replacements do throw some nice light but the beam is spotty in places near the front of the car.
Yes, that is the reason, and on cheap/garbage projectors you get the spotty areas, as most (IDK about the TYC) are meant to be used with halogen bulbs, not HID. A good projector with a clear lens will have a smooth beam with the hot spot in the center as it should be.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #37
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I bought the lights in my signature pic for $250. I put in my 35w hid kit and the difference is amazing. Our original headlights are junk.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #38
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I bought the lights in my signature pic for $250. I put in my 35w hid kit and the difference is amazing. Our original headlights are junk.
Interesting. Are those halogen lights that you put HID in? $250 each or pair?
Old 03-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #39
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
instead of creating a new thread, does anyone know if the D2S 4.0's will fit 10-13 halogen housings? I just bought a set of housings to retrofit and want to use the 4.0's but worried about size/space.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #40
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Not possible for a number of reasons without designing a completely new lighting assembly.

If you replace the bulb, the cheap projector will melt
If you replace the bulb and projector, the clear lens on our vehicles will melt or discolor.
Curious why you say that the outer plastic lens will be affected if the projector is replaced. Do you mean if the new projector is >35watts? Want to be sure I'm not bumm'n if I do this...
Old 03-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #41
blackswan

Yep, mine were almost as bad and I've had the car since new - never replaced the bulbs so this happens with all of them. Nice :(

So in hindsight, did you have to remove the plastic front using the oven procedure, or could this be done by pulling everything out from bulb replacement cover and then vice versa? Does the product you got from TRS come apart easily, like the factory projector (separate bowl from hi beam actuator assembly, etc.)? I was able to pull everything out of the factory housing by disassembling (with difficulty) while still inside the housing and then pulling out the pieces. If the replacement projector is similar sized and comes apart, you may not have to bake in the oven. Just wondering whether I want to commit to this or, maybe, buy a new car

Quote: