Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #15
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Yep, ya'll taking this farther than my experience or patience is. I know HID > LED > yellow bulbs for over 90% of all applications. I also know that the Camaro factory HIDs + Switchbacks and LED DRL's are the absolute best, cheapest, easiest and likely most reliable solution long term for all but the purist of lighting-philes. Good luck with your mods.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Hope this helps.

Let me know is you need any more pics.
Do you mind if I send these off to The Retrofit Source? I emailed them asking for any knowledge of what might fit and they said to email them a picture of the back of the housing... They say they can tell what may or may not fit that way but seeing the projector might be a better way.

Any pictures of the headlight internals untouched? As in the projector still mounted in the housing, like remove the lens and shroud in front of projector and leave projector mounted. These almost look like they would be a very easy projector drop in upgrade.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #17
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Do you mind if I send these off to The Retrofit Source? I emailed them asking for any knowledge of what might fit and they said to email them a picture of the back of the housing... They say they can tell what may or may not fit that way but seeing the projector might be a better way.

Any pictures of the headlight internals untouched? As in the projector still mounted in the housing, like remove the lens and shroud in front of projector and leave projector mounted. These almost look like they would be a very easy projector drop in upgrade.
Yes, this does look very easy for them to whip up an application-specific drop-in retrofit. I really hope they do. I've heard nothing but the best about their kits.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #18
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Yes, this does look very easy for them to whip up an application-specific drop-in retrofit. I really hope they do. I've heard nothing but the best about their kits.
Their stuff is top notch, I bought parts from them a few years ago when they first started up. It's crazy to see how big they've grown since then. As far as these headlights go it might take a little bit of work considering how the projector is mounted. Probably would be either the Mini H1 or the Mini D2S. I want the D2S since I still have bulbs from my retrofit lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #19
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
I guess you don't know much about lighting...
1st. If you replace the HID bulb, you achieved nothing... other than a color change if you choose a different kelvin rating... this is not a halogen set up we are talking about.

2nd. HID don't heat us as much as halogen. A 55w ballast will not make the lens melt, the sun will make it discolor at a faster rate than the HID could ever do. As a matter of fact, you couldn't even tell the difference by placing the hand on the plastic. The reflector bowl on the other hand, will bubble up within a few weeks of use.

3rd. Morimoto ballast have been proven to perform to what they are rated to, this are not cheap Chinese amp ballast sold on ebay.

4th. By getting a higher wattage buld (LED/HID) all you are doing is lighting the crap out of the foreground blinding every on-coming driver and limiting your far-distance view. This have been a complain on the people using 55w ballasts, as it lights up too much up front, which prompted retrofitters into installing fore-ground limiters on the cut-off shield.

Add up a light bar, and you are achieving the same as brighter DRLs... just lighting up the front of the car.

Here is a proper set up. Took out the DRL/Fog lights and actually replaced with fog light projectors.

Light output low/fogs

fogs with parking lights on

off-road/back road lights w/ low beams on

LED lights are still a bad choice when it comes to replacement of HID or halogen bulbs. Their "throw" of light is not placed in the right spot, and produced light that is sub-par when compared to what they are replacing.

Just because it looks brighter IN the reflector, doesn't mean that the light is making it where it needs to go for better night vision.

LED vs. Halogen

little reading material

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/furthe...dlights.29222/

That helps! Is this from a 10-13? That's good news, because I thought the front piece was molded into the plate like the OEM GTO. This will make it a lot easier to retrofit.

yes there 10-13 cars, psychology there 14-15 ZL1 cars to, can I get you the size in the AM, at home now.

Whats the distance of the plastic housing? Is the lens a 2.5? I thought it was bigger. The one I am wanting to use is a 3".

When that projector assembly is in the housing, how much space do you have around it? I cam make an aluminum ring plate to hold the projector, and epoxy it to the plastic piece so I can hollow the center.
Quote:

Feel free, it's not my parts (GM made them not me).
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #20
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
2SSRS@Gen5diy, thanks.

Quote:
Their stuff is top notch, I bought parts from them a few years ago when they first started up. It's crazy to see how big they've grown since then. As far as these headlights go it might take a little bit of work considering how the projector is mounted. Probably would be either the Mini H1 or the Mini D2S. I want the D2S since I still have bulbs from my retrofit lol
Why a Mini? I have used both those, and the output is nothing compared to the FX-Rs, and now that they have the 4TL I wouldn't even look into the minis unless I am retrofitting the DRLs.

Looking at that housing, a 2.5" projector that is not too wide up front like the FX-R will fit without too much work. As far as a bolt on application, TRS may be able to wip out a sheet metal adapter as long as the mounting points allow for it.

I am using the EvoX-R since I have a set I bought from Matt@TRS over 3 years ago. But... after seeing the comparison between the Evo and the new 4TL, I think I am willing to sacrifice a little high beam output to get the superb low beam (other than OEM S2000 projectors) the TL's are known for.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #21
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
2SSRS@Gen5diy, thanks.

Why a Mini? I have used both those, and the output is nothing compared to the FX-Rs, and now that they have the 4TL I wouldn't even look into the minis unless I am retrofitting the DRLs.

Looking at that housing, a 2.5" projector that is not too wide up front like the FX-R will fit without too much work. As far as a bolt on application, TRS may be able to wip out a sheet metal adapter as long as the mounting points allow for it.

I am using the EvoX-R since I have a set I bought from Matt@TRS over 3 years ago. But... after seeing the comparison between the Evo and the new 4TL, I think I am willing to sacrifice a little high beam output to get the superb low beam (other than OEM S2000 projectors) the TL's are known for.
I was just thinking based on where holes are already on the Mini to mount it as a drop in projector. If you want to fit an FX-R it may take a little more work because of what the projector looks like. Look at the FX-R vs what our projector looks like
Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #22
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
I was just thinking based on where holes are already on the Mini to mount it as a drop in projector. If you want to fit an FX-R it may take a little more work because of what the projector looks like. Look at the FX-R vs what our projector looks like
Per The Retrofit Source, no projectors they have on hand seem like a viable drop in replacement. They mentioned their D1S/D3S projector from Acme (honestly what don't they make) could be a very close swap. Here's the link for that:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...d-d1s-d3s.html

So with that said maybe it's possible to create a plexiglass/metal mount/surround that screws into the stock projector mount points and then we can drill new holes for a new projector. Thoughts?

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 10-06-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #23
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
I wouldn't trust plexiglass, lexan would be a better choice, but aluminum will be the best. The best thing about aluminum is that you can make a mold with wood and route it on a table router just like plastic or wood.

I don't want to fit an FX-R, that projector is too wide upfront, the 4TL would be a easier fit on the best projector category... the minis would go next as easiest. I think that the EvoX-R, would be an easier fit, but the lens is 3", which will mean enlarging the OEM shroud.

Definitely, the Acme would require less work, as it would re-use the D1S bulb, but I like the wide availability of D2S on the market compared with D1S. Also, TRS sale an adapter to plug a D2S bulb to the D1S OEM ballast. But, keep in mind that the Acme is also a 3" lens projector... I still think that the OEM is a 2.5"?
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #24
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
I wouldn't trust plexiglass, lexan would be a better choice, but aluminum will be the best. The best thing about aluminum is that you can make a mold with wood and route it on a table router just like plastic or wood.

I don't want to fit an FX-R, that projector is too wide upfront, the 4TL would be a easier fit on the best projector category... the minis would go next as easiest. I think that the EvoX-R, would be an easier fit, but the lens is 3", which will mean enlarging the OEM shroud.

Definitely, the Acme would require less work, as it would re-use the D1S bulb, but I like the wide availability of D2S on the market compared with D1S. Also, TRS sale an adapter to plug a D2S bulb to the D1S OEM ballast. But, keep in mind that the Acme is also a 3" lens projector... I still think that the OEM is a 2.5"?
Yeah the OEM I believe is a 2.5" lens and I would also want to fit a D2S projector for more bulb options. Definitely agree on using metal for the mount. But in curious if we were to use D2S bulbs what all would we need to change? I would imagine a specific harness may have to be made for this to work, but the other possibility is to just chance the connector on an H1 harness for example to whatever connects to our ballasts now.

So a almost drop in projector retro is possible, just need a sort of universal mount for the projectors...
Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #25
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Good stuff guys, keep the thread running!

I drove the wife's Avalanche tonight and that thing throws more usable light down the road than my RS.
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #26
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Good stuff guys, keep the thread running!

I drove the wife's Avalanche tonight and that thing throws more usable light down the road than my RS.
Yeah it shouldn't be too bad to figure out. Might pick up a headlight off eBay and open it up to see what it looks like. I think the only difficult part of making a mount will be to make sure the projectors are level.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #27
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Yeah it shouldn't be too bad to figure out. Might pick up a headlight off eBay and open it up to see what it looks like. I think the only difficult part of making a mount will be to make sure the projectors are level.
This is what always baffles me about retrofitting. I'd be worried that it would be pointing into the sky or something ridiculous.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #28
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
This is what always baffles me about retrofitting. I'd be worried that it would be pointing into the sky or something ridiculous.
Yup my first retro set up went straight into the garbage the first time I fired them up to check the output and adjust it so everything was level. Everything was off lol even what I finally ended up with I could see move the projectors by hand to adjust angles