Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-01-2016, 12:40 AM   #1
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Converting factory HIDs to 55 watt HIDs

Is this possible with our cars? I really miss the light output of my 55 watt ballasts that I've had in previous cars. The 35 watts our cars use from the factory is almost half of what a 55 watt HID produces.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Dont think it will work for long, here is why, the mounting/reflector is plastic that is chromed, we have seen the reflector peal off some of the chrome, when only using the 35 watt bulbs, more watt's = more heat, that will melt the mounting/reflector faster and kill the life span.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
As stated above, the reflector on our car is junk... And it is a D1S bulb, which means the igniter is IN the bulb. I asked around trying to get a set of lights, broken, whatever... to see the feasibility to do a bolt on retrofit using a better projector. Second, the lens is a fresnel lens, which disperses light better, but at the cost or lumens. They are not bright at all. Heck, my wife's Honda Odyssey projectors at 10 times better than ours (Honda makes one of, if not the best projectors on the market).

I have a set of EvoxR projectors (upgraded copies of a Hella E55) that I will be retrofitting into the Camaro. Don't know when, as I am trying to get some OEM projectors, to see if I can make a jig to just swap them instead of the tedious JB weld or window weld method.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Dont think it will work for long, here is why, the mounting/reflector is plastic that is chromed, we have seen the reflector peal off some of the chrome, when only using the 35 watt bulbs, more watt's = more heat, that will melt the mounting/reflector faster and kill the life span.
This is what I was afraid of. Should have figured Chevy would use the cheapest option possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
As stated above, the reflector on our car is junk... And it is a D1S bulb, which means the igniter is IN the bulb.
Yeah, hence my asking. It would be really nice if there was a plug-and-play 55 watt D1S HID capsule, as I was really hoping I'd be able to get more lumens on the road. Our lights are pretty okay, but by no means great.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Any other thoughts on this?
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Does anyone have any pictures of some RS headlights opened up? Wouldn't mind seeing if a retrofit is possible. More light, D2S bulbs and clearer output would be nice to have
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Maiden69

Retrofit are possible on anything. And the fact that this is a single light set up makes it even easier. I looked at one of the Oracle installation videos, and it seems as if the entire projector is plastic. I am hoping to get a chance next weekend to open them up, but with all my workload lately, I think it will have to wait till Thanksgiving or Christmas break for me to do it.

I have a Evo-Xr set from the retrofit source just waiting to be installed, this projector sucks... my el cheapo Sentra lighted the road better than this, and it had reflectors.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Quote:
Retrofit are possible on anything. And the fact that this is a single light set up makes it even easier. I looked at one of the Oracle installation videos, and it seems as if the entire projector is plastic. I am hoping to get a chance next weekend to open them up, but with all my workload lately, I think it will have to wait till Thanksgiving or Christmas break for me to do it.

I have a Evo-Xr set from the retrofit source just waiting to be installed, this projector sucks... my el cheapo Sentra lighted the road better than this, and it had reflectors.
I really think that for the first two years it was much better than it is now. My light output seems to have lessened as of late.

Let me know what you do! I'm curious and it's always nice to have more light on the road!

Quote:

Last edited by shibbs; 10-03-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

we have lots of the inner parts will be happy to post pics, pm me what you need posted, and have the 14-15 lights open to to show
Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
Maiden69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I really think that for the first two years it was much better than it is now. My light output seems to have lessened as of late.

Let me know what you do! I'm curious and it's always nice to have more light on the road!
My car is a 2011. I hate the low beam, hi's are a bit better...
Quote:
we have lots of the inner parts will be happy to post pics, pm me what you need posted, and have the 14-15 lights open to to show
I need pics (would love the insides of a 2010-13 RS headlights) of just the projector housing with mounting points. I did a retrofit for a GTO a while back, but the projector was cast aluminum, so I was able to "machine it" and bolt a set of FX-Rs in it. Also, did a custom mount set on a set on a GTO Spyder aftermarket headlights. After doing this and driving a few Honda cars with HIDs I must say I refuse to keep this car with the stock lights. They suck, especially on back roads.

If you could post some close-ups of the projector mounting points, including the adjusting screw point will be awesome. If you happen to come by a set of broken lights, PM me and I will get them off your hands. By broken I mean that the housing is cracked and can't be repaired, but lens is cracked, etc... the only thing I need is the projector.

Here is a few retrofits I have done on my cars

Suzuki SX4 with FX-R

SX4 replaced fog lights with a set of Blazer projectors

OEM headlights with FX-Rs and painted shields

From this, puny halogen H1 projector

To this, OEM FX45 projector with clear lens upgrade.

OEM GTO

FX45 with clear lens in Spyder housing,
Old 10-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Not possible for a number of reasons without designing a completely new lighting assembly.

If you replace the bulb, the cheap projector will melt
If you replace the bulb and projector, the clear lens on our vehicles will melt or discolor.
And most (if not all) vendors claiming to offer a 55w bulb are scamming you, most are 35-40w.

Actually surprised DiodeElectronics hasn't replied yet.

If you need greater light that badly, replace DRLs and add switchbacks (if you can even find a shop to do them properly, most have NFC) or install a light bar in the lower grill.

Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Not possible for a number of reasons without designing a completely new lighting assembly.

If you replace the bulb and projector, the clear lens on our vehicles will melt or discolor.
And most (if not all) vendors claiming to offer a 55w bulb are scamming you, most are 35-40w.

If you need greater light that badly, replace DRLs and add switchbacks (if you can even find a shop to do them properly, most have NFC) or install a light bar in the lower grill.

I don't believe in it cant be done, its only how much it will cast, and there it can cost a lot.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
My car is a 2011. I hate the low beam, hi's are a bit better...

I need pics (would love the insides of a 2010-13 RS headlights) of just the projector housing with mounting points. I did a retrofit for a GTO a while back, but the projector was cast aluminum, so I was able to "machine it" and bolt a set of FX-Rs in it. Also, did a custom mount set on a set on a GTO Spyder aftermarket headlights. After doing this and driving a few Honda cars with HIDs I must say I refuse to keep this car with the stock lights. They suck, especially on back roads.

If you could post some close-ups of the projector mounting points, including the adjusting screw point will be awesome. If you happen to come by a set of broken lights, PM me and I will get them off your hands. By broken I mean that the housing is cracked and can't be repaired, but lens is cracked, etc... the only thing I need is the projector.

Hope this helps.

Let me know is you need any more pics.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Maiden69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post

I guess you don't know much about lighting...
1st. If you replace the HID bulb, you achieved nothing... other than a color change if you choose a different kelvin rating... this is not a halogen set up we are talking about.

2nd. HID don't heat us as much as halogen. A 55w ballast will not make the lens melt, the sun will make it discolor at a faster rate than the HID could ever do. As a matter of fact, you couldn't even tell the difference by placing the hand on the plastic. The reflector bowl on the other hand, will bubble up within a few weeks of use.

3rd. Morimoto ballast have been proven to perform to what they are rated to, this are not cheap Chinese amp ballast sold on ebay.

4th. By getting a higher wattage buld (LED/HID) all you are doing is lighting the crap out of the foreground blinding every on-coming driver and limiting your far-distance view. This have been a complain on the people using 55w ballasts, as it lights up too much up front, which prompted retrofitters into installing fore-ground limiters on the cut-off shield.

Add up a light bar, and you are achieving the same as brighter DRLs... just lighting up the front of the car.

Here is a proper set up. Took out the DRL/Fog lights and actually replaced with fog light projectors.

Light output low/fogs

fogs with parking lights on

off-road/back road lights w/ low beams on

LED lights are still a bad choice when it comes to replacement of HID or halogen bulbs. Their "throw" of light is not placed in the right spot, and produced light that is sub-par when compared to what they are replacing.

Just because it looks brighter IN the reflector, doesn't mean that the light is making it where it needs to go for better night vision.

LED vs. Halogen

little reading material

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/furthe...dlights.29222/

Quote:
Hope this helps.

Let me know is you need any more pics.
That helps! Is this from a 10-13? That's good news, because I thought the front piece was molded into the plate like the OEM GTO. This will make it a lot easier to retrofit.

Whats the distance of the plastic housing? Is the lens a 2.5? I thought it was bigger. The one I am wanting to use is a 3".

When that projector assembly is in the housing, how much space do you have around it? I cam make an aluminum ring plate to hold the projector, and epoxy it to the plastic piece so I can hollow the center.