#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Too much horsepower?

I have read at least one article and seen several videos on utube saying the reviewer actually prefers the stingray to the ZO6 mainly because the Z06 package makes it so you have to be very careful where you hit the gas meaning you are hesitant to get all of the power out of it and use it to its full potential.
That being said how do you feel about those statements? Also...these questions:

1- do you feel they are right? That if it is a street car you should stick with the base engine?
2- do you think the extra weight of the Camaro will negate some of this?
3- yes you will have to be more careful but once your use to it the supercharger will make it more enjoyable to drive?
4- won't the nannies keep this in check?
While I cannot obviously do not go full throttle in every case, never down shift to a gear where I'll be over 5kish, and am obviously careful in corners don't, but I do enjoy being able to floor the car without worrying about the car going crazy on me.
So to repeat myself, do you think it will suck some of the joy of driving the car by having to be very careful or do you think once use to it that all goes away?
I know I was a little hesitant to get on the gas when switching from a 6 to an 8 but now I'm use to it, it is great!
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I have 800hp to the wheels in my current ZL1. If I could get 1000hp to them I would.

If you are concerned with too much HP, buy the T4, V6, or SS. There is something for everybody in the Camaro family.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
It's up to the drivers skills....

More HP means more winning.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Need more cow bell!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Nitro66215

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
It's up to the drivers skills....

More HP means more winning.
This....

I've been behind a 2SS L99, 2SS Supercharged, and ZL1. Over 600HP, if you can't drive the car safely and keep the tires planted and straight, it's too much for you.

I'm all about more HP, but you have to build up to the ability to drive it.
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro66215 View Post
This....

I've been behind a 2SS L99, 2SS Supercharged, and ZL1. Over 600HP, if you can't drive the car safely and keep the tires planted and straight, it's too much for you.

I'm all about more HP, but you have to build up to the ability to drive it.
I just get concerned because of how expensive these cars are. I was concerned switching from the 6 to the 8 but it turned out to be easy. Just wanted to hear others opinions because I know guys run much more hp than the ZL1 but those reviews got me a little worried.
I found a dealer that said they will let me test drive one as soon as it gets in. I obviously won't beat on it, but I don't beat on my 2ss either.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
BAAD LS2

Drives: TBSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
I found a dealer that said they will let me test drive one as soon as it gets in.
So in like a year?
BAAD LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The question isn't is it too much?

It might never be too much.

The question is will you actually use it? In many cases, the answer will be no.

If you plan to track the car (a real track or 1/4 mile) then I say the more HP the better (if the car and the driver can handle it)

If its street car only, the only way you can use the power (aside from very short lived bursts of power) is by doing something illegal.

Sorry if that makes me sound like a nancy or something, but we all know its the case. Doesn't make me love my SS any less, but I already can't use its full performance. I certainly don't need more. But that's just me.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The problem is there are more people with little skill that can afford big HP. This makes for these kinds of statements because they get the shit scared out of them when the lay into it the first time after coming from thier six banger family truckster or comparing it to their 69 whatever from back in the day.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
The ZL1 has more weight and will likely generate more downforce than the Z06. This should help it not be the ill-mannered beast that the Z06 is on the track. The Corvette definitely requires a better driver because of its' untamed behavior. I don't think you'll see the same from the ZL1 at all and will probably be easier to drive even with 800hp.

Heck, even with the SS in Track & Competitive you can make it get stupid with the 200hp less it offers.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

If you plan to track the car (a real track or 1/4 mile) then I say the more HP the better (if the car and the driver can handle it)

If its street car only, the only way you can use the power (aside from very short lived bursts of power) is by doing something illegal.

Sorry if that makes me sound like a nancy or something, but we all know its the case. Doesn't make me love my SS any less, but I already can't use its full performance. I certainly don't need more. But that's just me.
I just use the extra power to 0-60 or 0-100 on roads where it is safe to and short bursts on the street and freeway. Several people told me if that is the case I should just stick with a 6. But even though that is how I use the power the 8 is worth it to me. Even when your not all the way on the gas you can feel the power is there and the low end torque is very nice.
I definitely believe there is such a thing as too much power for a daily driver, but for me 455 is definitely not too much.

Ps- you don't sound like a Nancy to me. You sound realistic and grounded.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Agreed! My SS is plenty enough power, will never track it and even the HP and torque it has will not always be used to its full potential. ZL1 is an awesome car, but would never use that much power and torque on a road. Just my opinion.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
I have read at least one article and seen several videos on utube saying the reviewer actually prefers the stingray to the ZO6 mainly because the Z06 package makes it so you have to be very careful where you hit the gas meaning you are hesitant to get all of the power out of it and use it to its full potential.
That being said how do you feel about those statements? Also...these questions:
1- do you feel they are right? That if it is a street car you should stick with the base engine?
2- do you think the extra weight of the Camaro will negate some of this?
3- yes you will have to be more careful but once your use to it the supercharger will make it more enjoyable to drive?
4- won't the nannies keep this in check?
While I cannot obviously do not go full throttle in every case, never down shift to a gear where I'll be over 5kish, and am obviously careful in corners don't, but I do enjoy being able to floor the car without worrying about the car going crazy on me.
So to repeat myself, do you think it will suck some of the joy of driving the car by having to be very careful or do you think once use to it that all goes away?
I know I was a little hesitant to get on the gas when switching from a 6 to an 8 but now I'm use to it, it is great!
Get a V6 RS with NPP Six speed. You will save a ton of bucks and have a blast driving it. You can find a nice 2016 now for around $28,500.00 with suppliers discount lease for $500 down and $365 a month. Can't beat that.
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote